Santorini volcano tour

mrspaper

We found a guide from where we tender to take us to the volcano. It is a 5 hour tour with BBQ lunch. I felt it was very expensive, at $200 USD approx. per person. The guide states that if we were to arrive at Santorini and grab a boat to the volcano, it would be about 50 people on the boat.

Can anybody please give their experiences and feedback.

Were there really 50 people??

How much was it to arrive at Santorini and grab a boat at the dock?

Also, on the return trip, does the tour boat drop you back at the foot of the cable cars

Any other info and/or advice is appreciated

Linda

I can't tell you if it's too expensive, but I have done a sunset sailing on one of the goulettes, which would have 50 or so people on board, and had a meal included, for about 27 euros, although that's 2 years ago now. This was simple food and drink, and we would be aboard for around 3 hours. Do you intend to climb the volcano? It can be a hot experience! Do take plenty of water, and an umbrella for shade.

These are the sort of goulettes we travel on when we stay in Santorini. I know we don't spend much, as we go with 2 young people who haven't much money. ;)

Jo.

PICT0693.jpg.3e0616a9ea073747deb4991d1c58feb4.jpg

PICT0656.jpg.4f8b71aba219046fcf0046bd0b5d0892.jpg

I can't tell you if it's too expensive, but I have done a sunset sailing on one of the goulettes, which would have 50 or so people on board, and had a meal included, for about 27 euros, although that's 2 years ago now. This was simple food and drink, and we would be aboard for around 3 hours. Do you intend to climb the volcano? It can be a hot experience! Do take plenty of water, and an umbrella for shade.

These are the sort of goulettes we travel on when we stay in Santorini. I know we don't spend much, as we go with 2 young people who haven't much money. ;)

Jo.

27 E seems pretty good. I'd be happy with 27 E for the volcano. Thanks for responding

We did the volcano tour and hot spring. It was not exciting, and hot (June 08). Nothing to write home about.

Going to the hot springs: After the volcano tour they take you to a spot you must swim to the hot springs which is a good ways, and many people did not want to get off the boat and swim the distance. The water is cold, and the hot springs smells of sulfur. You had to search for the hot spots. I was happy to get back on board the cruise ship, have lunch shower and head up the Tram to shop and sight see.

We took the Tram up, and walked down the donkey trail, be careful if you do this for the obvious reason as the steps can be messy and wet.

We always smile when we hear about the so-called volcano tour in Santorini. Yes, it is true that the island (and the smaller surrounding islets) where once part of the side of a volcano. The real guts of the volcano is deep underwater and, is in fact, below where the ships stop to drop their tenders. We do understand its one of those different strokes for different folks things, but after more then half a dozen trips to Santorini the last choice on my list of things to do would be a volcano tour.

Hank

Hank - we've been to Santorini three times and took the bus to Oia each time for some great lunch and photos. We also walked the little streets of Fira and watched the sunset from there. Any other suggestions for beautiful scenery we might have missed?

If you are thiking of hiring a car, then take the road from Fira towards Kamari. About 1/2 way, there's a winding road up to the monastery of Profitis Ilias, on the mountain ridge. The views are stunning. If you continue to Kamari- a typical Med. sea side resort, there's a road up to ancient Thira, on a headland. You'll find prices much cheaper in Kamari, as it's a popular resort for package tourists. Distances are slight, as it's only a small island.

Jo.

Road up to Ancient Thira.

PICT0797.jpg.85e2dd14810c671208e04aed7460f483.jpg

If you are thiking of hiring a car, then take the road from Fira towards Kamari. About 1/2 way, there's a winding road up to the monastery of Profitis Ilias, on the mountain ridge. The views are stunning. If you continue to Kamari- a typical Med. sea side resort, there's a road up to ancient Thira, on a headland. You'll find prices much cheaper in Kamari, as it's a popular resort for package tourists. Distances are slight, as it's only a small island.

Jo.

Road up to Ancient Thira.

Jo--I couldn't agree more! Our second time there, we rented a car, and did just that (stopping in Pyrgos on the way down from the summit for a great Nescafe frappe), on to Kamari--some neat little shops there, and then continued on to Oia for a late lunch at Ammoudi, before returning to Fira. It was just a great day--it was also my 50th, which made it really special--couldn't think of a better way to spend it!

Kevin

Hank - we've been to Santorini three times and took the bus to Oia each time for some great lunch and photos. We also walked the little streets of Fira and watched the sunset from there. Any other suggestions for beautiful scenery we might have missed?

My wife thinks that Santorini is one of the most beautiful places in the world. If you have had your fill of Fira and Oia (we also looked elsewhere after the first few trips) then my suggestion is to rent a car (there are several local rental car dealers in Fira) for the day and just drive around the island. You have your choice of several wineries and there are actually some nice beaches worth visiting (we like Red Beach) even if just to look. We used to urge folks to visit the ruins at Akritori, but unfortunately, since they had an accident (part of the roof collapsed) it has take forever for the Greek government to repair and reopen the site. You can find a lot of information and maps at http://santorini.info/

Driving on the island is quite easy (once you get away from Fira) and its the perfect way to explore.

Hank

Archived