Five hours in Stockholm

Mom and I are on the Disney Magic (leaving 6/12), and just found out that our time in Stockholm is being cut quite a bit :( We arrive at 7:30am, and leave Stockholm at 1:00 pm. The ship docks at Frihamnen. I know we definitely want to go to the Vasa Museum, but I'm not sure how much time we're going to have to do other things. Is there time to see the Vasa museum and do a walking tour of Gamla Stan? Would it be better to hire a guide, given the limited time? The ship has excursions that include Vasa (one Skansen and Vasa, the other Vasa with a bus tour).

I'd planned to explore on our own, but with the limited time I'm worried. Any advice as to what we can cram into 4-5 hours in Stockholm and the best way to do it?

Mom and I are on the Disney Magic (leaving 6/12), and just found out that our time in Stockholm is being cut quite a bit :( We arrive at 7:30am, and leave Stockholm at 1:00 pm. The ship docks at Frihamnen. I know we definitely want to go to the Vasa Museum, but I'm not sure how much time we're going to have to do other things. Is there time to see the Vasa museum and do a walking tour of Gamla Stan? Would it be better to hire a guide, given the limited time? The ship has excursions that include Vasa (one Skansen and Vasa, the other Vasa with a bus tour).

I'd planned to explore on our own, but with the limited time I'm worried. Any advice as to what we can cram into 4-5 hours in Stockholm and the best way to do it?

That sure isn't much time to See Stockholm. It does seem as though mnay of the cruise lines are cutting their time in Stockholm. that was our shortest port also, and it turned out to be our favorite stop.

We also docked at Frimhamnen. From there you can catch the #76 bus to Vasa. To really see the Vasa Museum, you would need about 2 hours, but to just see the ship and get a taste of the museum, you can definitely do it in under an hour. From there head to Gamla Stan which isn;t that far. You can take the ferry. In that time frame, that would give you a good 2 hours to wonder about Gamla Stan, and experience some of the quaintness of the area. You might even ahve time for a quick peek at the Palace which is right at the beginning of Gamla Stan.

I would definitely opt for a taxi back to your ship, as that would be the quickest way back. I would allow about 1/2 an hour for the return trip.

Yes, it is really a quick view of this magnificent city, but you can get a feel for the place.

Cheers

Lne

You can see the Vasa and do a walking tour of Gamla Stan, but I'd definitely use a taxi to and from the ship, and in town. Don't waste time on public transportation with only 5 hours to spend! Because you dock so early, you may have to see Gamla Stan first. The Vasa Museum doesn't open until 10, unless their summer hours are different. Plan well and use your time efficiently. It's a fabulous city and a shame that Disney is cutting it so short.

Sounds like we will be lucky as RCI JOS has us there 9am - 5pm..Why the change for some of you and when did they let you know ?

I got a letter from them the week before last... something about tides and currents near Dover (where we disembark). It's crappy to have our visit cut short, but nothing we can do about it... Just get up early and be ready to go.

Thanks for the advice... do you know how I would go about getting a taxi in Gamla Stan to take us back to the ship? I assume there'll be taxis waiting somewhere off the pier when we disembark, but I don't know about getting back.

Archived