Corner Brook, NFLD

Probably will be in good old Corner Brook on Sept.30....already looked at the tourism bureau info there.....has anyone rented a car and driven to the National Park..Grose Morne...or have some other neat things to do in Newfoundland....I remember it just a little.... took the Newfie Bullet when I was a kid to St Johns's......still remember the swaying back and forth on the train...will be there from 10 to 8pm..so will have lots of time.....Ken and Judy in the opposite side of the country

I would plan something in advance, when we were there in the fall (14day Eurodam) we didn't have a plan so ended up walking around town. We went to the memorial on the hill (wonderful view of the ship and fall colours) and then walked around the lake. We took a cab to the top and walked back to the lake then to the ship. It is a small place, neat, but without a plan there is not much to do.

For sure rent a car and go to Gros Morne. Check out the web site for the park and get ideas from whatever excursions your cruise offers.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmorne/index.aspx

There is a wonderful fjord called Western Brook Pond. You can take a boat tour there.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmorne/activ/activ2b.aspx

If you are really energetic you could climb Gros Morne, or there are other hikes.

http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/nl/grosmorne/activ/activ2d.aspx

I will be on the same cruise and I was thinking of doing the ship excursion. I took this cruise just because I wanted to go to this port and do the Gros Morne Park. I may rent a car in alot of the other ports. There don't seem to be alot of choices.

I will be on the same cruise and I was thinking of doing the ship excursion. I took this cruise just because I wanted to go to this port and do the Gros Morne Park. I may rent a car in alot of the other ports. There don't seem to be alot of choices.

went on line and there are about three car rental places in corner brook.....a full size is about $50 for the day.....for four people that is a cheap trip to the park...Ken

Gros Morne, Gros Morne, Gros Morne!!!! You have got to see it at least once! It should be on the list of the world's greatest wonders. Of course I am partial, since I hail from that glorious province. I too did ride the "bullet" from St Johns to the west coast. My mom and I got off the train in or near South Branch, seemed like the middle of nowhere. We had sparkling white new samsonite suitcases, and dressed in our best, we trucked up a cow path to the fishing camp where my father was salmon fishing. Oh my what wonderful memories! But please do go see Gros Morne. You have got to see it!:)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Western Brook Pond in Gros Morne is spectacular if you get nice weather. The walk to the boat is 3km, so need to factor that time in depending on how fast you walk. In September, there is only one tour a day at 1:00 p.m.

The other area of the park that we really enjoyed is the Tablelands near Woody Point- we did an excellent walking tour with a Parks Canada guide (free I think...). September 30 is a bit late in the season though, so I'd check the Parks Canada website for details: http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/nl/grosmorne/index.aspx

• 2 weeks later...

I would definately go to Gros Morne. Western Brook Pond is gorgeous. Another option is to head to Woody Point (also in the Park) and go to the Discovery Centre and check out the Tablelands. If you are travelling with kids there is an Insectarium in Deer Lake that is on the way. If you are more adventurous there is also a ZipLine (Marble Zip Tours) at Marble Mountain.

I will be on the Spirit. I wanted to do Gros Morne. The ship has a tour. Is that better than doing it yourself? Also is the Pond boat tour running at that time? Thank you.

Angeleyes27, are you on the September 25th NCL Spirit cruise out of Boston? If so, come over and join our Roll Call!

Annie & Les

Archived