RCI - SeaPass and Child Credit Limits

Hi,

I am a first time cruiser scheduled to travel on the Independence of the Seas this summer out of the UK on a 14 night Mediterranean cruise. I have read various messsages on this site however I cannot seem to establish whether a daily or total spend limit can be attached to my son's SeaPass?

To date my observations are that when completing the online check-in on the RCI website, one only appears to have two choices to either pick up his bill entirely without limits or not allow him to make charges to the account. By way of background. My son is 10, an only child with Asperger's Syndrome and whilst I want to encourage him with a degree of freedom on how to use his spending money, I would prefer to limit his spending with a daily limit as he can be vulnerable to the needs of 'new friends'. Some helpful assistance from more experienced cruisers would be much appreciated.:)

Not 100% sure but i would suggest you put his as cash only and you only put a small amount on it and top it up every few days, this way you can monitor spend, the other option is get a soda card and load an arcade card then he won't need any money on the pass ? can get food / ice cream etc without it.

I agree that you need to keep his card separate from your account.

When we took the kids several years ago, the arcade was paid for thru the sea pass card. There was NO LIMIT! They were very good about checking with us so there was no huge surprise at the end.

BUT there could have been if they went crazy at the arcade or even the onboard stores!

They were listed on our account (which was set up with a credit card) so I think keeping your son's account separate with cash will limit what he can spend and still give him some freedom.

In the past I have put a limit on my sons seapass. They have a form at guest relations that you fill out with the amount you want to limit it to. The only thing is the limit is for the cruise, not daily.

We have a sit down every night with my kids (don't do limits any more as they are now older teens) and review what has been put on their card. Get the soda card and that takes one item out of the mix. Other than the arcade and on board shops there really isn't a whole lot that is needed for kids to spend on board.

Hi there

Having now taken my daughter on Indy, I need not have worried.

We wondered about allowing her a limit each day, but too be honest there wasnt anything really on board that she needed.If she needed anything, she asked.

However, she did need money for the games rooms, which, she came and asked for,(once she had exceeded her saved pocket money!!) and she exchanged that onto her seapass. There is a machine in the games room to do this.

Hope you enjoy your holiday on Indy, she sure is a wonderful lady!

We also have a son with Aspergers, and like you we were concerned about the spending on his sea pass card. We spoke to guest relations and they put a daily limit on the card of whatever we wanted it to be. You can also check the activity on your TV.

About to sail on the Indy again, and will do the same. Don't concern yourself with the on-line check in details in this respect, as it is easily adjusted once you are onboard.

We took our three kids last October on the Monarch. We decided to not have charging options on thier cards. If the kids needed something they came to us. This worked for us, as we have kids that could go crazy with spending money! Overall this worked for us.

We have a young boy in our family with asbergers (my niece's son) when we all cruised a couple of year ago he wasn't given charging privliges he was bought a soda card and we had an evening family meet up time for anything he wanted to buy in the stores. He had his holiday money for spending on shore at the different ports of call where he bought lots of souvenirs. We found this was the best way to go in our family and we will be doing the same again this year.

Archived