GTY staterooms at Oasis

Since Oasis class ships are more expensive than most mass market cruises right now, I was wondering if that means the first cabins to get booked are the interiors. If that is the case, does it mean you are more likely to get something nice (upgrade or better than expected) if you book a GTY balcony and above?

I've booked exactly the cabin number I want both times I've cruised but have been considering booking a GTY for the inaugural sailing for Allure.

Can anyone comment on their experience with Guaranteed staterooms in Oasis?

Keep checking the prices for your date. For our sailing on May 29,2010 right now balcony guarantee is $1299. We booked D4 for $1249. All categories balcony D2-D5 were cheaper than insides. For example-the cheapest inside Q category is $1219. In result of that all D2-D5 are sold out and there are plenty of insides available. So keep checking for good deals.Good luck!

I cant say Oasis will be better, but I have had good luck on 2 out of 3 guarantees, with RCL. First one wasnt very good, oh well, but 2nd got a OV with a inside guarantee and 3rd got a PR with a inside guarantee (which is what I really wanted). .. so I wouldnt hesitate, since I dont really care where we are that much.

I think it depends on how picky you are.

I booked ocean view guarantee for the 5/22 sailing and got a central park view room (no balcony). I was a little disappointed because this is clearly not going to give me a view of the ocean, as expected, but it is a larger room and I am not unhappy about looking onto central park. Plus, it's a great overall location, right in the middle of the ship. I'll post after the trip to report on the room and other things.

We booked a Balcony GTY hoping to get an OV (after reading you don't see much of the ocean) not a CP/BW view. We got #7136. I was very excited to get the OV

We have never booked a GTY so wasn't real sure about it :confused:. We paid $1049 pp and we will get a $200 OBC for booking Balcony.

This will be our first cruise w/RCCL and we are celebrating our 25th Anniversary (w/no kids!) so we are happy!

We booked an OV GTY for May 29 sailing on Oasis. We received cabin #7104. All the way forward on the lowest deck. We were not too excited about that. We tried to changed cabins to deck above, #8104, thinking we may have a little better view of ocean instead of helipad (staying within the same category) and Royal Caribbean said no. We would have to cancel, pay a cancellation penalty, and then rebook at the higher price. We are diamond members (17+cruises with them), hoping that would have make a little difference, but it didn't. We cruised with Celebrity in Feb., and didn't have any problem at all changing cabins within the same category. We will keep an eye out in case prices go lower before cruise to possibly change cabin category, but I don't know if RCI will allow us to without paying a penalty. Never have run into this problem before. I'm sure no matter what cabin we have, we will still enjoy our cruise on the Oasis.

We spend little time in our cabin so we decided to just book an inside guarantee which obviously is the lowest and least expensive option which just guarantees you a cabin on the ship. We did this on our last cruise, which was also our first cruise and got just the standard inside cabin. We were fine with it.

We are sailing May 29th on Oasis and booked the same way, but were pleasantly surprised when we received a Central Park Balcony.

It seems based on all I have read here, that it is more likely that you will receive an upgrade if you have already sailed with RCCL at least once. I don't see many 1st time cruisers who book GTY's seem to have been upgraded.

/a

Oh, I am so bummed out. Happy for all you that received a great upgrade, but we did not, and was assigned one of the worst located cabins. All the way forward, lowest deck #7104 - and we're diamond members, go figure, bummer. :(

I'm so sorry you got less than a desirable cabin location. Perhaps something will change before the departure date? If not, just try to make the best of it and look forward to all of the great things that you will experience on the ship. It is all luck of the draw I suppose... Perhaps if not this time, next time you will get an amazing upgrade!

/a

Keep checking the prices for your date. For our sailing on May 29,2010 right now balcony guarantee is $1299. We booked D4 for $1249. All categories balcony D2-D5 were cheaper than insides. For example-the cheapest inside Q category is $1219. In result of that all D2-D5 are sold out and there are plenty of insides available. So keep checking for good deals.Good luck!

I am checking prices CONSTANTLY :D I am not expecting a price drop, though. In the event that something like that happens (balconies being cheaper than interiors) I will switch for sure. Right now I have an interior in deck 12 close to the stairs, which is something we like because we can walk to the pool and not take elevators. I am willing to sacrifice that for a balcony, though.

I cant say Oasis will be better, but I have had good luck on 2 out of 3 guarantees, with RCL. First one wasnt very good, oh well, but 2nd got a OV with a inside guarantee and 3rd got a PR with a inside guarantee (which is what I really wanted). .. so I wouldnt hesitate, since I dont really care where we are that much.

I think it depends on how picky you are.

I don't feel like I am very picky, but if we are planning this far in advance (we started planning a year in advance) I hope to get some good deal and nice stuff.

I'm so sorry you got less than a desirable cabin location. Perhaps something will change before the departure date? If not, just try to make the best of it and look forward to all of the great things that you will experience on the ship. It is all luck of the draw I suppose... Perhaps if not this time, next time you will get an amazing upgrade!

/a

You can always call Royal and ask what other rooms are available in that category and switch location as long as your in the same category it shouldnt be a problem

We booked an OV GTY for May 29 sailing on Oasis. We received cabin #7104. All the way forward on the lowest deck. We were not too excited about that. We tried to changed cabins to deck above, #8104, thinking we may have a little better view of ocean instead of helipad (staying within the same category) and Royal Caribbean said no. .

You can always call Royal and ask what other rooms are available in that category and switch location as long as your in the same category it shouldnt be a problem

Im hearing that RCL is saying no to changing within a category more and more. They used to be good about it. Iv never called and asked to change, as I feel like I agreed to any location, and with my luck Id get some noisy neighbor, so I stay with whatever they give me.

I feel like I agreed to any location, and with my luck Id get some noisy neighbor, so I stay with whatever they give me.

I think that is a very commendable attitude and the same one I would take. The exception would be if I had several cruises with the cruise line. I think that the repeat business and loyalty gives you the right to at least call and make an inquiry to see if something more suitable is available.

I don't like it when Diamond Cruisers think that they deserve every perk under the sun and try to use their status to demand greater attention, but in a situation where you are getting the worse possible scenario when others are being upgraded, I think at least deserves consideration from the cruise line.

I doubt a GTY cabin would become available for the Allure inaugural sailing. I bet that sailing will sell out.

Don't they offer the GTY's if the sailing isn't selling and they wait until after the final payments are due to open them up?

We are diamond members, and when we received our cabin (we booked OV GTY and received cabin #7104 all the way forward lowest deck in that cat.) our travel agent called to see if we could just move up one deck to deck 8, cabin #8104, same category, thinking we may have somewhat of a better view of water instead of helipad, and royal caribbean said no. First time we ever asked to be switched, and even though was same cat., they said no moving cabins, we booked a gty and that's the cabin we got. :rolleyes:

Well, I guess those are the breaks when you book a GTY...

Although, I wouldn't hesitate to call directly on your own once more. This may just be a matter of who you get in the call center. They may be quicker to tell the TA no, rather than the actual customer. Worth a try...

/a

I did not book a guarantee but called today to change cabins, same category but different deck. There was no problem and it was done in 2 seconds. There had only been 2 cabins left in the D1 category on the deck though so I was lucky they weren't all taken already.

Oh, I am so bummed out. Happy for all you that received a great upgrade, but we did not, and was assigned one of the worst located cabins. All the way forward, lowest deck #7104 - and we're diamond members, go figure, bummer. :(

I would be disappointed if I were you. I would think you would be able to get a better cabin! I'm sure you will still enjoy your cruise! At least you'll be on one...I don't even have one booked!:eek:

cruz4natic--you may want to try again (and maybe again) and see what happens. I've heard that sometimes it's all about who you get at RCCL which determines whether changes like these are allowed. Personally, it seems like when I call about something with a current reservation, they want to hurry up and get me off of the phone. However, when I've called to make a new reservation, they have all the time in world. Point being that your TA may have got one the "hurry uppers" and didn't want to take the time. Or maybe they have changed the rules as they sure did use to allow this type of change. I did the exact same thing in August last year with no problems.

As for guarantees, I just switched last week from 3 inside cabins (assigned) to a balcony guarantees for the exact same price. I was told it most likely would be a Central Park or Boardwalk balcony as they had a "ton" of those left. Plus we wouldn't be assigned until about 2 weeks prior to sailing. But the very next evening I checked and we have been assigned OV balconies on deck 6 within a couple cabins of each other! So in my mind this was a free upgrade.:D

Wow, thank you all for your input. I don't want to be a pain to RCI, but since my TA only called once (and we love our TA, have used them for years) maybe I will try calling. Has anyone that uses a TA ever called RCI on their own? Will they talk to me or will they tell me that since my reservation is listed with a TA that the TA must call to request changes or information about reservation? I guess it couldn't hurt to try, but I know we'll enjoy the cruise no matter where our cabin is. ;)

Wow, thank you all for your input. I don't want to be a pain to RCI, but since my TA only called once (and we love our TA, have used them for years) maybe I will try calling. Has anyone that uses a TA ever called RCI on their own? Will they talk to me or will they tell me that since my reservation is listed with a TA that the TA must call to request changes or information about reservation? I guess it couldn't hurt to try, but I know we'll enjoy the cruise no matter where our cabin is. ;)

They will most certainly talk to you. You are always more important than the TA.

Your attitude alone will likely get your request granted. Call them and say exactly what you have said on this board. Don't forget to let us know what happens...

/a

Archived