Corfu Excursions - What to choose?

ms.sunburn

I'm not sure what to do in Corfu. I'm feeling lazy and don't want to rent a car or book a private tour so I'll probably just pick one of the Splendour of the Seas excursions. Has anyone taken any of the following tours with Royal Caribbean or visited one of these places on their own? I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

- Paleokastritsa, Lakones & Wine

- Achilleion Palace, Perama & Old Town

- Panoramic Corfu

- Achilleion Palace, Paleokastritsa & Old Town

- Dassia Beach Hotel Package

- Glyfada Beach Transfer

When we disembarked from NCL Jade 18 months ago at Corfu we decided to do our own thing and walk to Corfu Town to have a look at the sites there. What we found when we were at the dock was many taxi drivers offering to take people on tours around the island.

We were standing with another couple listening when we thought why not, sharing would bring the price down and it could be fun. As we were getting into the taxi the other couple had disappeared but it turned out to be the best day on the whole cruise. The driver was passionate about his Island and very knowledgable on all aspects of its geography and history.

The cost was E40 per hour with a minimum 3 hour tour. We opted for the minimum and headed north as suggested to be the most scenic and were treated to an extra hour as he wanted to show us all that we were interested in and three hours were not enough.

Thanks yarramar. That's definitely something to consider. We did that once in Mazatlan. It was a spur of the moment thing with a local guide at the port who solicited a few other couples for the tour. It was the highlight of our trip. I'm interested in hearing from anyone who has toured Corfu. I just have no idea what to do here.

We have been to Corfu three times (most recently last year) and still have no idea what to do :). We have driven a rental car around most of the island (this can be a lot of fun) and there are several smaller towns, some beaches, and that is that! Corfu Town (the main attraction) is a 25 min walk from the port or you can take a shuttle or taxi into town. The town does have its share of shops, cafes and restaurants.

Hank

haha...that's what I thought, hlitner. I haven't been able to get a handle on Corfu at all. All of the other ports seem to have more distinctive "must-sees". I watched a couple of videos on You Tube filmed by others on a previous cruise and the town of Corfu didn't look very attractive--at least not the part they were filming from. We're renting a car in Santorini so we'd consider it here too but since it's the last stop we'll probably be tired so we were hoping to sit back and let someone else do the work!

haha...that's what I thought, hlitner. I haven't been able to get a handle on Corfu at all. All of the other ports seem to have more distinctive "must-sees". I watched a couple of videos on You Tube filmed by others on a previous cruise and the town of Corfu didn't look very attractive--at least not the part they were filming from. We're renting a car in Santorini so we'd consider it here too but since it's the last stop we'll probably be tired so we were hoping to sit back and let someone else do the work!

Keep in mind that renting a car in Corfu can be a pretty easy no-hassle process. Several local rental companies maintain cars right at the port and have small offices inside the cruise terminal building. When you get off a ship you are shuttled (for free) to the terminal building where you can rent a car, grab a taxi, take a local bus, of just walk. Other then trying to drive in Corfu Town (which does traffic and can get congested) driving on the island is easy and is mostly rural two lane roads.

Hank

Dont write off Corfu as too hard and that there are no must sees. The whole Island is one of the most beautiful in Greece and as such it is a "must see" in itself. There are gorgeous little villages, incredible walks and the most amazing natural scenery you will see anywhere. There is a good reason that Corfu is overrun by tourists from all over europe in the summer.

You should take the "Paleokastritsa, Lakones & Wine" tour if you do nothing else as you will at least get to see some of a place you may wish to revisit.

One other must see is the Angelokastro which is worth a taxi trip to and you can have lunch nearby at a lovely little restaurant on the main road opposite before attempting the climb to the castle.

Thanks yarramar. I always feel a sense of urgency with cruise ports because I'm so time limited. When I stay somewhere for longer I love discovering new things on my own, but when I only have a few hours I want to use my time as wisely as possible. A cruise port stop is sort of like a job interview...you get a little preview and then you can decide if you want more :)

On our first visit, we only had four hours, so we went into Corfu Town and walked over to the Old Fortress, which has wonderful views, visited St. Spiridon church, and the lovely old synagogue near the New Fortress.

This time (in a week) we have seven hours, so we are renting a car and plan to visit the Achilleon Palace and then drive over to Paleokastritsa beach to enjoy the views and green of the island. The car rental company delivers the car right to you at the port, so it's very easy and very reasonable compared to a taxi.

Cool, Pam. You'll have to post how that went when you come back. I'm still leaning towards one of the ship's excursions. I've narrowed them down to 2:

Cool, Pam. You'll have to post how that went when you come back. I'm still leaning towards one of the ship's excursions. I've narrowed them down to 2:

Between those two, I would choose the second, but I really enjoyed our morning in the Old Town. I know that Paleokastritsa is supposed to be beautiful and I definitely want to see Achilleion Palace (guess I enjoyed Mayerling too much); I have no clue what Lakones is.

I just found out that the airline we are taking to Europe on Sunday charges $55 each way for a second bag:eek:, so packing will be condensed greatly tomorrow! (I started sneaking a second bag when cruising so I did not have to worry about souvenirs, but I simply refuse such extortion!:mad:)

I just found out that the airline we are taking to Europe on Sunday charges $55 each way for a second bag:eek:, so packing will be condensed greatly tomorrow! (I started sneaking a second bag when cruising so I did not have to worry about souvenirs, but I simply refuse such extortion!:mad:)

What airline are you flying? We're flying Air France. I believe we are allowed 2 from Toronto to Paris, but then we would have been limited to 1 for our flight from Paris to Venice which we're taking a few days later. We're fortunate that we live in the Toronto area and have so many airlines to choose from. Only the American airlines ding us for the bags.

ms sunburn,

what is the date of your cruise? We're on SOS 5/22; first cruise I might add. I've been looking at the various tours as well and it's tough to decide. Other than the fact that the tour might book up, is there an advantage to booking now instead of waiting until you're onboard? I also wondered if we might meet people on the ship who would be interested in sharing a cab.

Sounds like winging it is something that a even a novice like myself can do in Corfu.

I will have the luck of being on a B2B, that my first week, will be the second week of some on my roll call.

I think I will gleen their expertise and decide while onboard.

Thoughts?

ms sunburn,

what is the date of your cruise? We're on SOS 5/22; first cruise I might add. I've been looking at the various tours as well and it's tough to decide. Other than the fact that the tour might book up, is there an advantage to booking now instead of waiting until you're onboard? I also wondered if we might meet people on the ship who would be interested in sharing a cab.

Wow, nice first cruise! We are on the 5/29 sailing so we'll be getting on when you get off. I had a tough time choosing because I really don't know anything about Corfu, but I have learned from past experience that winging it doesn't always work in ports where the immediate area around the ship isn't the greatest. I don't think there's any advantage to booking early. You may indeed meet people on the ship to share a cab with. I'm a planner so now that I have Corfu booked I can move on to researching another port, in this case Dubrovnik.

I've cruised with large groups (26) and just my husband and I. I find booking the private tours works really well for groups of 4 and up but is less economical for 2. It also can be uncomfortable with just 2 and a tour guide. I'm not a big talker and would rather have someone else hold the conversation. I'd rather enjoy the sites and not have to even worry about listening if I don't want to which is much easier to do in a bus full of other people.

ms.sunburn,

to be honest I've never had a desire to cruise, but as we were standing in St Marks square a few years ago, a cruise ship sailed by and I was so taken by that sight. I thought "what a cool perspective that must be". So I'm doing it. The rest of the cruise is just icing on the cake, so if all we do is walk around each port, I'm fine. Guess that's why I don't feel the pressure to plan excursions. The one you chose for Corfu sounds the best; a little of everything since you see more of the island, enjoy other view points plus wine !

Your cruise is a week later, but a different itinerary. Have a great trip !(Don't forget to post a review when you get back).

BTW, I grew up in Orillia.

Hi, my husband and I will be on Splendour of the Seas (May 29 out of Venice), and we are trying to figure out what do do in Corfu! We are debating just going to a beach on our own, or either cruise excursion to the beach, or going to Paleokastritsa, which supposedly is beautiful. We would like to relax on a beach for a few hours and also do a little village exploration, and are not sure the best way to see the most and maximize our time in Corfu. Has anyone been to Paleokastritsa? Are there public beaches there? Any suggestions are welcome, and is anyone on the May 29 Splendour sailing?!?!? We are very excited.

ms.sunburn,

to be honest I've never had a desire to cruise, but as we were standing in St Marks square a few years ago, a cruise ship sailed by and I was so taken by that sight. I thought "what a cool perspective that must be". So I'm doing it.

My husband was the most reluctant cruiser I have ever seen before our first cruise. He was actually miserable in the line to get on! I'm happy to report we've done a few cruises since then, and he actually chose this cruise over a European land vacation! We love the fact that our hotel travels with us, that we don't have to pack and unpack at every stop and that we get to see so much in such a short time.

BTW, I grew up in Orillia.

Small world!

is anyone on the May 29 Splendour sailing?!?!? We are very excited.

Me too on both counts!

• 3 weeks later...
Hi, my husband and I will be on Splendour of the Seas (May 29 out of Venice), and we are trying to figure out what do do in Corfu! We are debating just going to a beach on our own, or either cruise excursion to the beach, or going to Paleokastritsa, which supposedly is beautiful. We would like to relax on a beach for a few hours and also do a little village exploration, and are not sure the best way to see the most and maximize our time in Corfu. Has anyone been to Paleokastritsa? Are there public beaches there? Any suggestions are welcome, and is anyone on the May 29 Splendour sailing?!?!? We are very excited.

We are on Spendour later this summer ... and this is EXACTLY what I want to do ... a little swim time/beach but also village ... I'd appreciate any advise on this? Does anyone know if it's easy to just grab a taxi to Dassia Beach? How much and how long to get there? :rolleyes:

Hi , we are also on 29th May sailing and thinking about excursions!

Have booked a tour for Ephesus, planning on just walking the walls in Dubrovnik, no ides Corfu ( not there long are we, when you factor in getting back for dinner ) and still unsure about Santorini.

Anyone interested in maybe sharing taxi on Santorini to get to Ora and/or further afield. Was considering buses but read they get a bit smelly?

Archived