Can we make this flight?

CRU1Z1N

Sailing on the Valor 8/29 to 9/5 (Sunday before Labor Day). Sailing with DH, DD, DS and myself...using birth certificates and military ID. Can we make a 11:17AM flight out of Miami?

Thanks for you help and input!! Love this site!!!

Sailing on the Valor 8/29 to 9/5 (Sunday before Labor Day). Sailing with DH, DD, DS and myself...using birth certificates and military ID. Can we make a 11:17AM flight out of Miami?

Yes it can be done.. if you do self assist.. ( which is everyone carries off their own luggage)...and also barring any delays getting back to port on time;)

Carnivals recommendation is a departure flight of no earlier than 11:30am, so I would think thats cutting it kind of close. I have not yet been on a cruise so maby someone else would have more input on how fast the disembarkation is. I know that flying out of fort lauderdale once we arrived an hour and half before the flight time, and we almost missed the flight only because passing through security took forever, and that was on a tuesday morning.

Carnivals recommendation is a departure flight of no earlier than 11:30am, so I would think thats cutting it kind of close. I have not yet been on a cruise so maby someone else would have more input on how fast the disembarkation is. I know that flying out of fort lauderdale once we arrived an hour and half before the flight time, and we almost missed the flight only because passing through security took forever, and that was on a tuesday morning.

As I posted yes it can be done.. I have been on a few cruises.. and have made earlier flights than that debarking in Miami and flying out of FLL ;)

Last year I cruised out of Miami three times. Took the same flight, 11:40. I waited three hours for my flight all three times with self-assist. This time I booked a 10:55 flight and I am not worried about it at all. You will be fine.

IF your ship arrives on time and IF you do self disembarkation and IF there are no delays at immigration and customs and IF there is no taxi strike and IF there is no major delays on the freeways, it can be done.

I have been able to get on a flight as early as 9:30am. HOWEVER, I do NOT recommend booking something this early.

As others said, IF everything runs smoothly you should have no problems, but there are a few times when I haven't been able to get off the ship until after 11:00am. (On one extreme case we couldn't get off until 2pm!)

My suggestion is that you book a later flight, but check with your airline about their policies to see if they'll let you standby on an earlier flight should you get to the airport early. (that's how we got on the 9:30am flight)

IF you decide to go with the early flight, just have a backup plan (and enough cash or credit) to pay penalties to get re-booked on a later flight should you miss your original one.

Last December we missed our flight due to not being allowed in port due to the fog. We finally arrived at the airport (self assist) at 4:55pm. We kept changing our flight times and missed 3 flights which then we just gave up and took what they offered once we arrived. This year we are looking for nothing before 1:00.

I just love the "I did it so you can, too" responses.

Yes, you probably can IF everything goes smoothly.

Things don't always go smoothly.

I've been on a ship that the self-disembark didn't even begin until 8:30. And then it was an absolute mob scene. The lines snaked up through the stairwells, and the landings on the lower decks were packed. Those people (who apparently were not supposed to be leaving), were just merging into the lines coming down the stairs, holding those people up.

I've also been on ships that were late getting into port.

I just don't know why people are in such a hurry to get home.

Having said that, I did book an early flight last cruise from FLL. I'd flown from there before, and knew how close the airport is to the ship. Plus, I was Platinum and got the very earliest embarkation. We were at the airport 20 minutes from the time we got in line to disembark.

Would I do it again or recommend that someone do that? Probably not. Not worth the stress.

Does having an OS get you VIP disemarkation? We got a great deal flying from MN to Miami for 2 for $402 total (with travel insurance). The only flight back on Saturday is for 12noon, I think we'll make it. Went ahead and booked since this saved us $344 and both going and coming are non-stop flights.

Does having an OS get you VIP disemarkation? We got a great deal flying from MN to Miami for 2 for $402 total (with travel insurance). The only flight back on Saturday is for 12noon, I think we'll make it. Went ahead and booked since this saved us $344 and both going and coming are non-stop flights.

With a noon flight you will be OK. Just either do self debarkation or go to the pursers desk and get an early number to get off the ship earlier.

We have had flights around the 11:00 time frame every time we sail from Miami never came close to missing a flight. The last time we got there so early we got the 9:30 flight home.

Yes things can happen like fog but the percentages of everything going smoothly are really in your favor.

I just love the "I did it so you can, too" responses.

Yes, you probably can IF everything goes smoothly.

Things don't always go smoothly.

I've been on a ship that the self-disembark didn't even begin until 8:30. And then it was an absolute mob scene. The lines snaked up through the stairwells, and the landings on the lower decks were packed. Those people (who apparently were not supposed to be leaving), were just merging into the lines coming down the stairs, holding those people up.

I've also been on ships that were late getting into port.

I just don't know why people are in such a hurry to get home.

Having said that, I did book an early flight last cruise from FLL. I'd flown from there before, and knew how close the airport is to the ship. Plus, I was Platinum and got the very earliest embarkation. We were at the airport 20 minutes from the time we got in line to disembark.

Would I do it again or recommend that someone do that? Probably not. Not worth the stress.

NC is so right . . . we only hear about the "successful" early flights home, seldom the disasters.:rolleyes:

I also enjoy "hanging around" the embarkation city as long as I can (NYC had a 10:30 flight home, met a cruisemate at the port, had lunch at Carmine's, took a tour bus of the city, etc), however, I also gain 3 hours on the trip home so that may be a factor for me.

Having said that, I'd probably take the risk also for $344 ! ! :rolleyes:

Archived