ORIANA - vibration

BMT

We are sailing on the Oriana from San Francisco back to Southampton in March,regarding vibration,all ships have their different little quirks ,on Jewel Of the Seas last year we noticed that she had a little shake,nothing to be bothered about though.Various ships that i sailed on when in the Merchant Navy all had their different characteristics,The thing to remember is that it is a ship first and hotel second.

You can get a cork screw motion on any ship its a combination of waves across the bow and wind direction... if you get the wrong combination any ship moves like that.

Thats what I thought, cruiseluvva has mentioned this lots of times on her Oriana cruise she experienced it , I wondered if it was just a bad day at sea. ? Surely this couLd happen on any ship, any time?

Cruise luvva? Was this just one day on one oRIANA cruise you noticed this and it made you ill?

We are sailing on the Oriana from San Francisco back to Southampton in March,regarding vibration,all ships have their different little quirks ,on Jewel Of the Seas last year we noticed that she had a little shake,nothing to be bothered about though.Various ships that i sailed on when in the Merchant Navy all had their different characteristics,The thing to remember is that it is a ship first and hotel second.

We too are sailing on Oriana from San Francisco, not long to go now! We did a TA on Jewel last year & vibration didn't bother us.

C u soon:)

The vibration on Oriana in the Oriental restaurant varies in intensity (I guess depending on what they are doing with the engines) - but when it is really bad it will VIBRATE ( not rock or screw or roll or pitch) the cutlery off your dining table!!!:D One night during the latter half of her 2010 World Cruise, the Captain came onto the microphone to apologise for it and said that it wouldn't last long (as they were doing something with the engines) We later moved table to the Peninsula Restaurant and it was like another world!!:D

Barry

Hi Barry

Yes I agree there is vibration on Oriana (have been on her before) But Cruiseluvva mentions a 'corkscrew motion' she had once onboard, and I just wondered if this was a sea swell problem more than a problem particular to just Oriana....?:)

Hi Barry

Yes I agree there is vibration on Oriana (have been on her before) But Cruiseluvva mentions a 'corkscrew motion' she had once onboard, and I just wondered if this was a sea swell problem more than a problem particular to just Oriana....?:)

Could be, we were on the Christmas cruise on Oriana and I got seasick for the first time in years on the journey home when we endured really bad sea swells (the captain said that they could be up to 20 metres). Even my prescription seasickness tablets didn't work for that!

We still had a great cruise overall and having experienced a little vibration in the Oriental restaurant on our previous cruise we specifically requested the Peninsular restaurant for dinner when we booked this time.

My mum and dad have just got of her in Sydney

Carol Marlow MD of P&O cruises boared in Brisbane and gave a chat to every one about whats happaning around P&O,

She said of the Vibration that the Propelers are out of Sync/Balance as new ones were fitted in the Refit and that it is going in to Dry dock as soon as it gets back to Southapton from world cruise to sort it out,

also she said not naming the new ship until next year and it wont be Canberrra

mark

Hi Barry

No, it wasn't a sea swell problem, but a peculiar motion documented by many experienced cruisers. But as suggested it may have been alleviated by the addition of the ducktail.

Archived