Steak lovers: what do you think of Chops?

And Chops does NOT serve USDA PRIME. 'verbal' statements by waiters mean less than nothing.

You know, I have no idea why I allowed this to become a dispute. Even if it wasn't (which, it is), whoooooooo caaaaaaaaares? :rolleyes:

You know, I have no idea why I allowed this to become a dispute. Even if it wasn't (which, it is), whoooooooo caaaaaaaaares? :rolleyes:

I agree. This guy is a cheerleader for Carnival anyway. Of course someone has to do it. Their product sure as heck doesn't say a lot.:rolleyes:

I agree. This guy is a cheerleader for Carnival anyway. Of course someone has to do it. Their product sure as heck doesn't say a lot.:rolleyes:

Sounds like you're actually attacking Dan. :confused: If I'm not mistaken, he's done as many RCCL cruises as CCL; maybe more.

This thread is about steak.

And then there is "Wagyu" which is the Japanese word for beef. "wa" means Japanese style and "gyu" means beef. Kobe is the region where the Wagyu breed and feeding techniques for Wagyu cattle originated. Wagyu is a pure Japanese breed with records dating back to 1830. It is widely recognized as the best quality of beef due to its high degree of marbling which gives tenderness, juiciness, and flavor unrivaled by any other cattle anywhere in the world. Wagyu Kobe Beef combines the USDA scale and the strict Japanese scale of grading Wagyu Kobe Beef to create a SUPER Prime grade. The ambiance and mystique of Wagyu Kobe Beef is nearly as important in the eating experience as the melt in your mouth flavor and tenderness.

So we could argue all day long what the best beef is but the point is this. As good as Chops or Portofinos may be, they will never rival some of the best landside steakhouses. Gibson's in Chicago, Bern's in Tampa, Peter Luger in NY, Aragawa in Tokyo, and few others that I can'tremember at the moment. NEVER! Obviously there will be a great price difference...

Also, places like Morton's, Ruth Chris, Flemings, etc., are very good, nowhere near the standard of the above mentioned restaurants (IMHO), but very good, probably equaled to Chops or Portofinos.

Nor does YOUR verbal statement that they don't. I happen to have been told it was prime steak by the Food and Beverage Manager on Liberty during the Welcome Back party. The Captain was also in the room and agreed. I think their word is more credible than another cruise line's cheerleader with his own agenda.

READ THE LAW. Anyone can call any piece of meat a prime piece of meat even if it is dogmeat. They can say anything about it, "Our finest prime" Our carefully selected prime" "Our prime quality beef" All are legal, ONLY saying "Our beef IS USDA PRIME quality" is illegal if it has not been inspected and graded as such. The word prime is meaningless, only the phrase USDA PRIME, is restricted in its use. NOT an agenda of mine, THE LAW. My opinion of RCL's beef IS my opinion. I simply DO NOT eat beef on RCL because I have dined in 3,4, and 5 star restaurants all over the world and have dined at fine steakhouses. I've lived a very fortunate life.

Carnival cheerleader? I'm a Platinum cruiser on Carnival, but also a Diamond cruiser on RCL. Carnival's MDR, SURPRISE, beef is not good there either. Only their Steakhouse is not only good, but excellent. FAR superior to Chops. Just as RCL ships are FAR superior to Carnival ships. And many RCL itineraries are superior to Carnival's. And enforcement of their own rules is well below SAD on Carnival. Both lines are terrific in their own ways, NEITHER is perfect.

And I have only opined about beef dishes. No where, no time have I knocked RCL total food choices. My opinion of MDR's on CCL and RCL, BOTH overall good for banquet style food. I rate CCL's MDR slightly better, and I rate RCL's buffet NOTICEABLY better. CCL's many fresh preparation stations in the buffet area are the only thing to make it a contest, otherwise RCL would be far ahead.

Except for the beef grading, which is neither an opinion nor an agenda of mine. ALL the rest is my opinion and my opinion is equally valid with anyone else's opinion. No better, no worse.

And the person that called me a troll might read the board guidelines and look up the definition of a troll. 10 years on the board and thousands of posts are not the footprint of a troll.

Want to call me blunt, sometimes rude, opinionated, and judgemental? Guilty on all those counts.

READ THE LAW. Anyone can call any piece of meat a prime piece of meat even if it is dogmeat. They can say anything about it, "Our finest prime" Our carefully selected prime" "Our prime quality beef" All are legal, ONLY saying "Our beef IS USDA PRIME quality" is illegal if it has not been inspected and graded as such. The word prime is meaningless, only the phrase USDA PRIME, is restricted in its use. NOT an agenda of mine, THE LAW. My opinion of RCL's beef IS my opinion. I simply DO NOT eat beef on RCL because I have dined in 3,4, and 5 star restaurants all over the world and have dined at fine steakhouses. I've lived a very fortunate life.

Did I use quotes in my post? No. By saying prime, I assumed everyone would understand what I meant.....just like you earlier when you made the lb comment. Let me be more specific just for you. When I asked this very question at the C&A Welcome Back reception, the Food and Beverage Manager went on a long ramble, something along the lines of, and I quote, "It is 100% quality USDA prime beef." He went on to say something along the lines of them only serving the best beef available. Given the taste and tenderness of the filets I've eaten in Chops, I have no reason not to believe them, and as I said earlier, the statements of ship's officers is more credible to me than your post, since you have no real info to base it on than your own opinion.

And by the way, Supper Club, aka Steakhouse, is not "FAR superior." That is a gross embellishment. Both serve excellent dishes and are very comparable in taste.

Did I use quotes in my post? No. By saying prime, I assumed everyone would understand what I meant.....just like you earlier when you made the lb comment. Let me be more specific just for you. When I asked this very question at the C&A Welcome Back reception, the Food and Beverage Manager went on a long ramble, something along the lines of, and I quote, "It is 100% quality USDA prime beef." He went on to say something along the lines of them only serving the best beef available. Given the taste and tenderness of the filets I've eaten in Chops, I have no reason not to believe them, and as I said earlier, the statements of ship's officers is more credible to me than your post, since you have no real info to base it on than your own opinion.

And by the way, Supper Club, aka Steeakhouse, is not "FAR superior." That is a gross embellishment. Both serve excellent dishes and are very comparable in taste.

The "Real info" you seek IS in Chop's menu and advertisements. NOWHERE do they claim to have USDA PRIME beef. Since they do NOT claim it in writing, their verbal claims have no standing.

You opine that Chop's and the Steakhouse are comparable. That is your opinion and its fine for you.

I believe that the Steakhouse is far superior to Chop's. That is my opinion, NOT A "gross embellishment," and my opinion is fine for me.

Why isn't my statement that RCL ships are FAR superior to Carnival ships, not a, "gross embellishment?":confused::rolleyes:

And FYI, I've had this same or similar arguement about many land restaurants and/or markets that supposedly sold USDA PRIME beef at low or reasonable prices. In every case where absolute proof was available, these places used the word prime and words like U.S. and United States prime beef. But NEVER had or served actual USDA PRIME beef. The law is more loophole than law as anything but USDA PRIME can be claimed, legally.

Carnival cheerleader? I'm a Platinum cruiser on Carnival, but also a Diamond cruiser on RCL. Carnival's MDR, SURPRISE, beef is not good there either. Only their Steakhouse is not only good, but excellent. FAR superior to Chops. Just as RCL ships are FAR superior to Carnival ships. And many RCL itineraries are superior to Carnival's. And enforcement of their own rules is well below SAD on Carnival. Both lines are terrific in their own ways, NEITHER is perfect.

And I have only opined about beef dishes. No where, no time have I knocked RCL total food choices. My opinion of MDR's on CCL and RCL, BOTH overall good for banquet style food. I rate CCL's MDR slightly better, and I rate RCL's buffet NOTICEABLY better. CCL's many fresh preparation stations in the buffet area are the only thing to make it a contest, otherwise RCL would be far ahead.

Except for the beef grading, which is neither an opinion nor an agenda of mine. ALL the rest is my opinion and my opinion is equally valid with anyone else's opinion. No better, no worse.

And the person that called me a troll might read the board guidelines and look up the definition of a troll. 10 years on the board and thousands of posts are not the footprint of a troll.

Want to call me blunt, sometimes rude, opinionated, and judgemental? Guilty on all those counts.

Your logic is flawed.

You are correct if it says USDA Prime it must have been graded by a USDA Grader and met all requirements for prime. However, just because it does not say a specific grade does not mean it does not meet those requirements nor does it mean that it has not been graded by a USDA inspector.

And before you make this argument I will grant you if I had a restaurant I would put USDA Prime on the menu if that was what I was serving. RC may not do so for various reasons that you or I are not aware of.

Your logic is flawed.

You are correct if it says USDA Prime it must have been graded by a USDA Grader and met all requirements for prime. However, just because it does not say a specific grade does not mean it does not meet those requirements nor does it mean that it has not been graded by a USDA inspector.

And before you make this argument I will grant you if I had a restaurant I would put USDA Prime on the menu if that was what I was serving. RC may not do so for various reasons that you or I are not aware of.

HA!!

strictly my opinion.

HA!!

strictly my opinion.

You keep talking about the law like it is absolute answer without seeing an inspection bug or grade shield on the boxes of beef you and I have no idea what it really is.

I am not calling you a troll and would remove that if I could but here is what you said on another thread. It sounds like you were trying to only stir the pot and get others upset. What kind of behavior is that?

Nawww, The RCLers would go batpoop if I said Chops is just a thicker cut of the MDR meat. Not worth the $20.00 unless someone has a serious steak jones and can't stand the thin cut roast beef they call "steak" in the MDR.

OK, couldn't help myself!

oh and here is dictionary.com definition

an internet user who sends inflammatory or provocative messages designed to elicit negative responses or start a flame-war

This comes up here on CC every now and then. RCI doesn't advertise the grades of the meat in Chops, so on my last cruise (Radiance), I asked. I was told by both my server, and the head waiter that it is Prime. I don't doubt it. We have a prime steakhouse at home, and Chops is just as good, if not better.

I found Chops to be good on the Oasis in January. Not great but good. I had the filet and it was tender. Service was very good and what made it even better was sitting outside in Central Park.:)

You keep talking about the law like it is absolute answer without seeing an inspection bug or grade shield on the boxes of beef you and I have no idea what it really is.

I am not calling you a troll and would remove that if I could but here is what you said on another thread. It sounds like you were trying to only stir the pot and get others upset. What kind of behavior is that?

an internet user who sends inflammatory or provocative messages designed to elicit negative responses or start a flame-war

Actually, you must have missed the last time this was discussed.

When "Chops Steak" was first rolled out as a "pay for" in the MDR, there was MUCH misinformation given out, and was actually exposed right here by the Cruise Critic folks that a fast one was being pulled. (I can dig it up if anyone is interested, and it's still under CRUISE NEWS)

Terms like, ORGANIC and such come to mind, but they (RCCL) finally fessed up. I WAS just a thicker piece of meat.

Last thread like this, which I hope Paul can vouch for, was the Chops steak was now actually a fillet. I know I was enlightened on that one.

Now you have additional facts, please continue with your agenda, whatever that is.

Actually, you must have missed the last time this was discussed.

When "Chops Steak" was first rolled out as a "pay for" in the MDR, there was MUCH misinformation given out, and was actually exposed right here by the Cruise Critic folks that a fast one was being pulled. (I can dig it up if anyone is interested, and it's still under CRUISE NEWS)

Terms like, ORGANIC and such come to mind, but they (RCCL) finally fessed up. I WAS just a thicker piece of meat.

Last thread like this, which I hope Paul can vouch for, was the Chops steak was now actually a fillet. I know I was enlightened on that one.

Now you have additional facts, please continue with your agenda, whatever that is.

I would be very interested in it.

I have no agenda here. I have never said they are or are not serving USDA Prime. My only goal on this thread was to give some insight from some one with 10 yrs of education and work experience in the meat industry.

Like I said earlier no matter what is said on the menu no one on here truly knows what is being served with out seeing the boxes the meat come in. This is true for any restaurant and cruise line.

I would be very interested in it.

I have no agenda here. I have never said they are or are not serving USDA Prime. My only goal on this thread was to give some insight from some one with 10 yrs of education and work experience in the meat industry.

Like I said earlier no matter what is said on the menu no one on here truly knows what is being served with out seeing the boxes the meat come in. This is true for any restaurant and cruise line.

No? I consider Dan to be a cruise expert with his 50 ish cruises under his belt. You're calling him names.

And with 30 years in the retail industry myself, I am still amazed at the lack of "advertising", which leads me to one, albeit, possibly incorrect, conclusion.

I'll see if I can find the old thread.

No? I consider Dan to be a cruise expert with his 50 ish cruises under his belt. You're calling him names.

And with 30 years in the retail industry myself, I am still amazed at the lack of "advertising", which leads me to one, albeit, possibly incorrect, conclusion.

I'll see if I can find the old thread.

I agree with you there, and have said so. Since they do not advertise it as such it is very likely that it is not USDA Prime, but it does not guarantee it or at least it does not guarantee it is comparable ;).

Thanks for the link

As for Dan my only problem with him has been his attitude toward this whole conversation. All I wanted to do was provide a counter view (devils advocate) to his knowledge on the subject it is clear he does have some understanding of laws.

You have intentionally an I suspect with malice taken a post off a board composed of similar minded friends and posted it here as tho it was intended to "stir the pot". It was said in jest on that board as are many many things said on that semi-PRIVATE board. You ARE the one looking to cause problems. I stated my opinion that Chops was not particularly good. That IS my opinion derived by the experience of dining in many excellent steakhouses where the highest quality beef IS served. If Chops does tickle your fancy, how does my opinion effect your dining pleasure?

And if you wish to spend time on that other board, please join in the Spirit of that board and drop the viciousness.

If my posts bother you, put me on your "ignore" list as I am putting you on mine. You have no more to post that interests me.

thanks for the education:rolleyes:. Like I have said before, and the reason I asked, is if it is CAB(Certified Angus Beef) it must be at least upper 2/3 choice Same with Sterling Silver. Grading is based off two factors maturity and quality. Choice is made up of three different quality grades Slight Moderate Modest and Slight and each one of those has a grade of up to 100. See I can give lessons too

Here is a link to the USDA web site were they outline certification programs

http://www.ams.usda.gov/AMSv1.0/getfile?dDocName=STELDEV3025674

If we want to get picky, there's different methods of aging beef as well. We could also enter Kobe beef into the fray if we really wanted.

The thing is, food is VERY subjective. While I might not feel that Chops is an upper tier steakhouse experience, someone else with a different background might think it's the greatest steak house in the world.

If we want to get picky, there's different methods of aging beef as well. We could also enter Kobe beef into the fray if we really wanted.

The thing is, food is VERY subjective. While I might not feel that Chops is an upper tier steakhouse experience, someone else with a different background might think it's the greatest steak house in the world.

Logical and intelligent, refreshing!

Here is my suggestion about booking the steak places. Wait till you are 2-3 days into the cruise! Here is why.

There is SOOOOO much great food on a cruise ship, that you frankly may not be in the mood for a big fat piece of steak after all the other wonderful food you sample. That's what happened to me and DH and the other couple we travelled with. We had a great experience in the MDR plus the buffets for brunch and lunch were fantastic.

We did go to Chops around day 5 but even though the steak was very good, we were really not that much in the mood for such a rich and heavy meal. We waited till 9pm to get hungry and just walked into the restaurant without a problem. Yet we still just shrugged at the end of the meal. It was ok but I think if we had not had so many other wonderful meals that week, we would have liked it and appreciated it way more.

As a previous poster stated, the food in Chops and Portofino is very good but not the best food we have ever eaten. I would just stick to MDR and maybe head out to a nice steak place sometime when you are not on a cruiseship! You'll appreciate it that much more!

JMHO. Katherine

Enough is enough. IMHO

1-the steaks served at chops:

A- ARE SUPERIOR TO PONDEROSA, GOLDEN CORRAL, RYANS,LOGANS ROADHOUSE AND THE LIKES

B- IS A TOUCH BETTER THAN OUTBACK, LONGHORNS AND TEXAS ROAD HOUSE

C- MOST LIKELY NOT THE PERCIVED QUALITY OF A PREMIUM STEAKHOUSE Like MORTONS,RUTHS CHRIS, SHULA'S etc where I have paid $40 -$50 dollars for a steak that I swear was no better than the steaks served at chops.

Go to Chops, Eat and Enjoy

Archived