Boarding tricks? Leaving Sun. on Mariner out of San Pedro

Hi, we have our luggage tags and our set sail passes and have done everything online. We are not going to purchase soda passes or anything else. Does this allow us to bypass any lines? Can we just give our bags to a porter and head to a "We're prepared" line? Would hate to stand in a line we can skip!

Thanks!

You'll still need to "check in" and get your seapasses..we got to the pier around 11, and the line looked endless, but I was very impressed with how quickly it moved...after doing cruises from San Juan, Miami, Fort Lauderdale and Tampa, San Pedro was a dream-I don't think I've ever seen something run so smoothly as San Pedro. Kudos to whoever is in charge there!!

You can bypass the "welcome aboard" picture, if you want...there's sometimes a line for that!

Mariner had a "bypass line" in January. It was to the left of the photographers, on the Promenade Deck.

I also like to arrive at the pier around 12:30 to 12:45. Check in can take as little 10 minutes from entering the building to having a Seapass in hand, so I try to time it to board when the cabins open up. I've never seen a line at that time.

Another tip is to skip the Windjammer for lunch and go to the Promenade Cafe instead. The WJ tends to be packed on the first day, at least up until about 2:00 in my first experience, and it's no fun trying to find a place to sit. The Promenade Cafe often hasn't been discovered yet, so you can have a sandwich or slice of pizza. Unless, of course, your heart is set on having a piece of honey stung chicken.

I'd also say arrive around 12:30 if you don't like lines. We were there early last week, around 10:30, dropped off our bags and then went for some coffee. Came back around 11:15 and we had to wait for awhile before we made it onboard. Wasn't terrible -- I'd say we were onboard in about an hour, but I would think that just waiting a little bit would help you avoid all the crowds!

I have been on 9 cruises and the first cruise we got to the port around 12:30 and had a small line to get through. We learned through other cruisers we can get there earlier and get on board earlier. We always get to the port by 10:30am. We are usually the first few people checking in and have less then a 5 minute wait. Since we are Platnium we have a special departing lounge and are usually the first ones on the ship. We skip the welcome aboard pictures and the soda cards are ordered online. We figured with the money we spent we want to get on as early as possible and enjoy our first day. If you are interested in taking pictures of the ship, you can take better pictures without the crowds. We hit Windjammer eventually for lunch. Everything is a matter of personal preference. How we like to do, others may not.

We always do the Welcome Aboard picture. If it doesn't turn out, we won't buy it. And it took us all of maybe three extra minutes. Most of the time the photo is very nice and we buy one. It's a great souvenir and is page one of our photo album for that cruise.

Can't quite understand the "We gotta be the first onboard" deal. So, you maybe get to the head of the WJ line? Your drink at the pool bar won't be any better than mine. There are plenty of lounge chairs at the pool. You still can't get to your cabin and you are dragging that carry on bag around.

Just go with the flow, take the picture (you might just like it), relax, the WJ will still be there for you.

Rick and Deirdra

Just be prepared for anything that can go wrong...out of 5 sailings we had two where we had something*happen*

The first time it was a coast guard inspection that delayed us over 2 hours. The second time a tank fell off the ship and injured some of the passengers disembarking.

Our last trip we were in line and on the boat within 15 minutes. :)

I love to be one of the first ones on the ship, but changed my mind with our Mariner cruise last summer. Since we were traveling with a large group so our ability to get going quickly was reduced. We got there around 10:30 and it was at the absolute worst time. We waited about 30 minutes just to get a porter to take our luggage. Checking in went quickly and as people were already boarding we did not have to wait for a group to be called. Since the rooms were still closed, it was around lunch time everyone was in the WindJammer for the welcome aboard buffet.

It was a complete zoo. There were more people in the WJ than at a Stones concert. Once the 1:00 hit and the rooms were opened up, the WJ emptied out like after Thanksgiving dinner when Grandpa Elmer starts asking the youngsters to pull his finger.

I know everyone can't wait to get on, but after that experience, I am becoming a more leisurely boarder. There is something to be said about going to your room first, dropping off your carry ons and hitting the buffet after the masses have left.

Enjoy your cruise. Mariner is the best.

Archived