Survey: "The UGLIEST cruise ship I've ever seen."

CalmCruiserNC

Some of the Princess ships look like grocery carts to me, handle and all ... :eek:

I never could pinpoint what the back of the Princess ships reminded me of but now I have my answer!! :rolleyes:

Sometimes when I catch old episodes of "The Love Boat" and they show the exterior of the old Princess ships, it makes me wonder why the ship design was even changed?? :o

The old NCL Norway - which was a converted ocean liner (used to be the SS France). Also my FAVORITE ship! Nine wonderful cruises to the same places! All ports were tendered as she had to anchor way off-shore due to her draft. Made Great Stirrup Cay 9 out of 9 times. Very fond memories and wonderful cruises! First cruise in the 80's was about $1200. Last cruise in 2003 was $350 for a huge outside cabin. Really miss that ship!

I know this is a ugliest ship thread but I have to say I love looking at photos I'm finding of The Norway, Regal Empress and even the Big Red Boat. There is something so beautiful about the lines of older ships.

Very sad to see the shots of some of them in Alang though :(:(

I never could pinpoint what the back of the Princess ships reminded me of but now I have my answer!! :rolleyes:

Sometimes when I catch old episodes of "The Love Boat" and they show the exterior of the old Princess ships, it makes me wonder why the ship design was even changed?? :o

Don't you wish the staterooms were the same as the show too??? :D

When I think "ugly" ship, two come to mind. Unfortunately for NCL both are in their fleet.

The first is Pride of America. Granted this ship started as a new build for a now defunct cruiseline and NCL bought it while still under construction but good lawd that thing be ugly as heck LOL.

Apparently someone at NCL wasnt paying attention and allowed the blue print for EPIC to proceed to final approval. What were they thinking? It almost looks like it would be too top heavy and sink head first into the ocean.

That's another ship that is very ugly, the Pride of America.

http://uglyships.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/pride_of_america.jpg

That's another ship that is very ugly, the Pride of America.

http://uglyships.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/pride_of_america.jpg

So it seems that Norwegian Cruise Lines is winning for the ugliest FLEET!

I also agree that the Norway and Big Red Boat are classic ships and have a definite beauty about them.

AND THANK YOU for pointing me to a whole BLOG about ugly ships -- VERY fun!

photoIceBreakerKapitanKhlebnikov15.jpg

Aside from the cute penguins, I think the Khlebnikov wins for the ugliest cruise ship. Don't believe me that it's a real cruise ship? It is.*

*Yes, it sails around Antarctica and is known to be "the Ice Breaker."

photoIceBreakerKapitanKhlebnikov15.jpg

Aside from the cute penguins, I think the Khlebnikov wins for the ugliest cruise ship. Don't believe me that it's a real cruise ship? It is.*

*Yes, it sails around Antarctica and is known to be "the Ice Breaker."

Did I read their pricing charts correctly --- over $1000 a DAY ... PER PERSON???

I don't have a good pic of it on this computer but that Bahamas Celebration ship is pretty bad. Everytime I am in Nassau it is always sitting there in the first slot. It just looks like a big cargo box. I always feel like the poor passengers that fell for the "free cruise" scam are stuck inside screaming to get out.

I don't have a good pic of it on this computer but that Bahamas Celebration ship is pretty bad. Everytime I am in Nassau it is always sitting there in the first slot. It just looks like a big cargo box. I always feel like the poor passengers that fell for the "free cruise" scam are stuck inside screaming to get out.

At least it is not that far to Freeport.

It seems like the newer the ship the more it looks like a barge topped by a motel.

I saw the Norway and thought that she was lovely despite the evident wear and tear. A classic.

I see that the Big Red Boat was nominated for ugliest too.

We all know that Big Red Boat III was the former Festivale right?

She may have been in some ugly paint, but was still a good looking old girl.

Well, it is a converted car ferry, so I guess there isn't much they can do with that LOL.

These large ships are going to be great for people who would like to take their house and float it around the caribbean for a week.

I'm not one of them. I much prefer a smaller ship, which has as its main activities reading and sunbathing.

I'm sure there is a segment of the population that needs to constantly have "something to do" while on vacation, but I'm not one of them. In fact, I'm not sure I want to cruise with folks who can't just kick back and relax out on deck!

And yet, I look at your signature and see some big ships, not only as past cruises, but as future cruises. Or are we at the point of redefining 110,000 ton, 3000 passenger ships as small with nothing to do but read and sit in the sun? LOL.

Sensation....saw it in Port Canaveral.....and actually was struck by how ugly it was....then i noticed they didn't have balconies.....and some horrendous add-ons at randam:eek:

Dosent' mean I wouldn't cruise her.....on an ugly balcony...LOL....

Island_escape.jpg

MS Island Escape is a cruise ship owned and operated by Thomson Cruises. She was built in 1982 by Dubigeon-Normandie S.A., Nantes, France for Scandinavian World Cruises (a daughter company of DFDS) as the cruise ferry MS Scandinavia. At the time of her construction, she was the largest cruiseferry in the world. After being withdrawn from Scandinavian World Cruises she briefly sailed for DFDS Seaways. Between 1985 and 1990 she sailed for Sundance Cruises and Admiral Cruises as MS Stardancer. In 1990 the ship was sold to Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines and renamed MS Viking Serenade. The following year she was converted into a genuine cruise ship. In 2002 she was transferred to the fleet of Royal Caribbean's new subsidiary Island Cruises. Island Escape joined the fleet of Thomson Cruises in April 2009, but retained her name and continued with her more informal style of buffet restaurants and relaxed dress code.

The Island Escape operates in the Canary Islands and the Western Mediterranean under Thomson Cruises. In November 2010, Thomson will spend a further £4 million in refurbishing the Island Escape

I definitely agree -- in fact, the ugliness of a ship MIGHT just make it even more attractive -- kinda like the Chinese Pug I grew up with -- that dog was so ugly he was a collector's item! LOL!!

OMG that is too funny!!

I agree about the Epic (on the outside) but the inside looks amazing. I like NCL so I am dying to sail on that ugly box!!

If looks were that vital to me, I'd never sail CCL. Although I like the outside of most CCl ships, Farcus gives me a headache...:p

Archived