Need help with possible proposal

On my last cruise, a man brought his girlfriend over to the grand staircase in the dining room and proposed during dinner. It was really sweet. No one eating realized what was going on until a bunch of people starting clapping- so this I guess was a private/public engagement.

My now husband proposed the day before we left for our cruise a few years ago. It worked out great because we were able to see our families before we had to catch a flight the following day. Don't forget about any nerves you may have too! :)

I have seen this done on a cruise. Talk with the cruise director; he will help you with this. Set up a phony contest, make sure your girlfriend enters (she will be the only one entering). Just before one of the nightly shows, the cruise director announces the winner of the contest (it will be your girlfriend of course). She comes up on stage to collect her gift, and WHAM! You come out and propose. I seen this done on a Royal Caribbean cruise, it was great.

1. I would not do it on her parent's anniversary, it's like you need their approval. You are adults.

2. I would not do this is an EXTREMELY public place (like in the Theatre) where she could get embarassed if she gets emotional ( or you for that matter).

3. I assume that since you are already going on the cruise together that you are fairly close and she might be hoping and expecting this soon.

What I would do:

YOU HAVE TO MAKE THE BIG GESTURE EVEN IF IT"S NOT YOUR STYLE - IT'S EVERY GIRL'S DREAM NIGHT (with the right guy)

You have to set the right mood - you have to let the oven rise slowly to the proper temperature

I would set up a reservation at Chops or Portofino for the first formal night.

This sets up a nice quiet reserved and special atmosphere.

I would make sure you order especially nice wine with dinner.

I would ask the waiter to arrange to bring out a bottle of champagne

when it is time for dessert.

I would also ask that he/she bring out two dessert plates and a dessert

which must be shared.

Then you get down on one knee and pop the question

( don't be like me - I never did the down on 1 knee thing and I regret it

30 years later)

Then after dinner you can go on the helipad or wherever and share the moment.

That way you're not rushing on the first day when you're just getting unpacked but still gives you the rest of the cruise to bask in the afterglow.

What not to do (what I did):

We went to a nice neighborhood restaurant (first mistake)

I told the waiter to bring a bottle of champagne 2 glasses and a plate

and gave him the engagement ring to put on the plate (second mistake)

Result: Waiter comes back with the champagne open and a cloth napkin

stuck in the bottle with the ring around the napkin.

DGF now DW gets so excited when she sees the ring that she pulls

the napkin out of the bottle and ZING the ring goes fling across the room.

Next thing you know we have 100 (honest) people on their hands and knees looking for the rock. Luckily it all worked out.

You can't make this stuff up. Symptomatic of what was to follow.

LUCKILY this year I made up for it for our 30th anniversary with a B2B on Serenade to make up for past transgressions and errors in judgement.

I think your decision has a lot to do with your relationship with your future in-laws. If you have a good relationship with them, I would think they would be honored to have you propose to their daughter on their anniversary. If you are not that close to them, you may want to wait and propose on the ship. Either way though, since they will be on ship with you, it will be a night to remember. Congratulations!

My husband proposed to me on a cruise a year ago! What a wonderful and romantic surprise. It was so special. Why not make the proposal private by finding a quiet place on deck, then after she says "yes" you can celebrate with your future in laws afterward. Congratulations and Best Wishes!

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about your father.

Was going to do it after dinner at the hotel we are staying at, has a little private beach area.

I think this sounds perfect. Then you can can both enjoy the cruise; you can relax b/c the proposal is over with, and she can show off her ring.

I would think it would be very romantic to ask her father for her hand before. Then I would ask her on the ship- if she is a fun loven girl, ask the crew to help. They would make sure it was something she would never forget!

Early congratulations on your pending engagement! My fiance proposed to me just two months, and I'm still riding the high. It was a great experience and I treasure every second of it and my memory of it. I'm sure your fiance will as well!

Way to go on asking her parents permission first. It seems to be a bit of a forgotten thing to do. When I learned that my fiance had made sure to speak with my dad first I was so touched, and I know my dad was, too.

While I think everyone has given you great ideas for places and how to propose to your girlfriend on your vacation, I think the key now is to take those ideas and process them, thinking about what your girlfriend would like. It is a very special occasion for the two of you and while it needs to be memorable and special, it shouldn't be something that would make her uncomfortable.

My fiance knew that I am a pretty low key and private person (he is too), so he made sure that it was a special moment with just the two of us. I really appreciated the thought he put into that, and having all that time with just the two of us to bask in the glow of the happy moment. Plus, I, of course, cried a lot (lol) and I would have been pretty uncomfortable if we had been in a public place and had people staring at us in that moment. I think I would've worried more about "being in the spotlight" so to speak, than focusing on my happiness if we had a crowd. Basically, just make sure whatever you plan is something she would like--not everyone is a public place engagement type of person (although, your girlfriend very well might be, since I don't know her ;)).

Congrats again!

As a parent, celerbrating our anniverary, I think it would make it extra special to have a daughter or son get engaged on our special night. I would make sure I had my camera with me to take photos of that.

Just think of those memories.

[quote name='Slowboat2']As a parent, celerbrating our anniverary, I think it would make it extra special to have a daughter or son get engaged on our special night. I would make sure I had my camera with me to take photos of that.

Just think of those memories.[/QUOTE]

Or get it filmed and put on DVD!

Archived