Need help with possible proposal

I'm debating proposing to girlfriend either right before or on our cruise. We are in Miami the day before the cruise and her parents are going to be with us, and it will actually be their anniversary. Thought about doing it that evening after we have a really nice dinner.

Other thought is to wait and do it on the ship, but wasn't sure where or if it would be private enough to do it there. Any thoughts?

I'm debating proposing to girlfriend either right before or on our cruise. We are in Miami the day before the cruise and her parents are going to be with us, and it will actually be their anniversary. Thought about doing it that evening after we have a really nice dinner.

Other thought is to wait and do it on the ship, but wasn't sure where or if it would be private enough to do it there. Any thoughts?

Congratulations!!

What do you think your girlfriend would like? Her parents there or just the two of you?

You could order a bottle of champagne, take it out on deck at sunset to a little private spot and get down on one knee there?

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the luck and happiness in the world.

If you like alot of attention, I'd go with the ship idea. If you (and your girl) would rather share the news with just her parents in a more private setting...after dinner, that would be nice. I have no doubt that once an officer on the ship finds out about the engagement, it might be announced at one of the shows. ;) Congratulations to you both for a wonderful life and lots of great memories.

If you like alot of attention, I'd go with the ship idea. If you (and your girl) would rather share the news with just her parents in a more private setting...after dinner, that would be nice. I have no doubt that once an officer on the ship finds out about the engagement, it might be announced at one of the shows. ;) Congratulations to you both for a wonderful life and lots of great memories.

That could end up being a very bad idea. LOL!

:p

i wouldn't do it on the night of their anniversary, it is their night. also, this is the start of your life together as a couple so it should just be the two of you. i think do it the first evening on the cruise as you sailaway, with a sailaway cocktail, or champagne to drink. then you can celebrate the rest of your cruise - i bet you'll get lots of perks when the crew find out!

Here's my two "ideas".

Do it on a formal night before dinner. Get some champagne and take a walk up to the helicopter pad just before sunset. Nice and quiet up there, and will be a memorable moment.

If you don't mind being more public, get the cruise director involved. See if you can get on the Love and Marriage show and he can tie it into the questions. Or, Quest would be fun. I've heard that if you get the right cruise staff involved, they can get the coordinates for where you proposed - a nice touch.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

My two cents....I agree with others the anniversary night, not best idea, it is their night. It would be a great night to ask her Father for his daughter's hand if you haven't done that. Don't want to add to the pressure but your girlfriend will ALWAYS remember how you ask, so make it special. Really think what she would like, is she private? Or is she the type that would like it shouted from the roof top? You could get your waiter involved at dinner. They love that sort of thing. On one of our cruises our friend bought his wife a little something on one of the islands and it was delivered as dessert that was nice. Good luck....whatever you decide....just that you are giving it so much thought means you are a keeper and she will say yes.

As a parent, I would have no problem with you asking on the night of my anniversary. I actually think it would be even more special!

However if you would like to do it on the ship, I don't think you would have any trouble finding a private way. It doesn't even have to be done on the ship, you could just carry the ring with you and find a nice beach somewhere on a beautiful island... for me that would do it!!

Congratulations to you!

I say let the parents have their special day and find a romantic spot for your special day. Helicopter pad would be perfect. Or a evening stroll on deck. I just bet if you slip the waiter a 10 he will stay in a corner and deliver you the champagne at the right time. Or have a pina colada ( be sure and save the glass)

My two cents....I agree with others the anniversary night, not best idea, it is their night. It would be a great night to ask her Father for his daughter's hand if you haven't done that.[/I] Don't want to add to the pressure but your girlfriend will ALWAYS remember how you ask, so make it special. Really think what she would like, is she private? Or is she the type that would like it shouted from the roof top? You could get your waiter involved at dinner. They love that sort of thing. On one of our cruises our friend bought his wife a little something on one of the islands and it was delivered as dessert that was nice. Good luck....whatever you decide....just that you are giving it so much thought means you are a keeper and she will say yes.

This is the one thing I was thinking about. If you are close to her parents definitely talk to Dad before sailing, then find a nice spot on board. Mom and Dad will be waiting for you when you get home and I am sure make a big deal out of it then!

Another option;

Order the "honeymoon" or "happy aniversary" stateroom decorations, plus a bottle of champagne to be in your room on embarkation (with or without the choc covered strawberries).

Then when you get in there she will be all confused as to why the decorations are there you can say "I just wondered if you wanted to go on a cruise for our honeymoon/1st wedding anniversary? Will you marry me?" or words to that effect - produce ring, drink champagne, live happily ever after etc.

Splash out on a hand painted bottle of Pierre Jouet - if I remember correctly it's about $200. You want to celebrate in style.

It's a once in a lifetime event - make it extra special - and she can always keep the bottle as a reminder. I still have mine from our 10th wedding anniversary on Freedom last year.

Congratulations!!

You could order a bottle of champagne, take it out on deck at sunset to a little private spot and get down on one knee there?

I like this idea a lot. That's what I would do in your position.

I agree with the idea to not do it on the parents anniversary cause it is "their night." They might not care but...just my opinion.

Ok, maybe a little more background. I asked her father back in October, and he and the mother were on board right away. A lot has happened since then, my father passed away Dec 20th, her sister, brother in law, and nephew moved to Austrailia, been dealing with my uncle's cancer...just been a lot going on.

Her parents are going on the cruise with us. Was going to do it after dinner at the hotel we are staying at, has a little private beach area. Her parents aren't all into big celebrations, so don't think they would mind, I think they would love it. If not I'll try to do the one on the ship on the helicopter pad, or maybe somehow on our first stop in St. Marteen, maybe during our snorkel trip.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Just be careful of a new ring and a snorkel trip! Her hand will not have the indentation from wearing a ring a long time like us old married folks.;) A couple of years ago while we were swimming at Labadee, I guy started freaking out a good distance off shore, screaming for a mask. He was on his honeymoon and his brand new wedding band had slipped off his finger and he was treading water over where he had dropped it. He dove for it a few times and miraculously found it!

. Was going to do it after dinner at the hotel we are staying at, has a little private beach area..

Perfect place. Private, secluded and you won't have to worry about when to propose later on the cruise. Everyone in the group starts the cruise off on a festive note.

It depends on your girlfriend... if she is sentimental about things, she might think it's super special to get engaged on her parents' anniversary. It really depends on the relationship that she has with her parents.

I know that I am the type where I would want my own special night. The most fun would be to rig the Love & Marriage show with the Cruise Director. The most special and intimate would be like others have suggestion to go on the helipad... although it's so dark that you might not be able to see! ;)

My husband had the waiter deliver to me on the formal night of our first cruise together a pair of earrings/necklace that he had bought for me. Although, it was not an engagement ring (already married to each other), it was really fun to have the waiter set the plate down in front of me and take the "lid" off and have the box open on the plate with the "bling" shining brightly!.

Congratulations, why make it private. I proposed to my wife several years ago on a 4 day cruise right in the middle of the dining room!!! As soon as she said yes the whole place got up in an uproar.. :)

Wherever you decide to pull this off at, make it memorable and have a great time and again congratulations!

Archived