Is there anything to eat in GC that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?

erinmarie424

We'll be in Grand Cayman from 7-4 a week from today and have an excursion planned that ends at 12:30. We want to walk around the area for a while before heading back to the ship. We'll be eating a big breakfast, but will need something to tide us over until we get back on board. I've read that food prices are significantly higher than they are here. Any suggestions for places where we could get a "cheap" snack - we're obviously not looking for a sit-down restaurant or anything fancy, just someplace with a more affordable option than a $10 hot dog.

I know that tendering back to the ship is an option, but we'd rather not spend our limited time doing that.

Thanks!

Erin

Arthur Treacher's has a $3.00US Hot Dog...http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_menu.asp?restaurantID=101&menu_headingID=193

Check out the listings under George Town for other options by the tender area:

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_results_list.asp?restaurantID=0&locationID=3&cuisineID=0&c=1,4&Submit=Search

Just remember to add 25% to the listed prices to covert to US$, or for the time being CAD$.;)

We'll be in Grand Cayman from 7-4 a week from today and have an excursion planned that ends at 12:30. We want to walk around the area for a while before heading back to the ship. We'll be eating a big breakfast, but will need something to tide us over until we get back on board. I've read that food prices are significantly higher than they are here. Any suggestions for places where we could get a "cheap" snack - we're obviously not looking for a sit-down restaurant or anything fancy, just someplace with a more affordable option than a $10 hot dog.

I know that tendering back to the ship is an option, but we'd rather not spend our limited time doing that.

Thanks!

Erin

There are some local places, if you're willing to try local food and don't mind the non-tourist atomsphere. Around 7 mile beach is the Sunshine Grill across from the Ritz and Tony's Jerk Food by the Texaco Station on the way back from 7 mile beach. Also Wellies Cool Spot on No. Sound Way (get a cabbie ot take you, they'll know the place.) .

At the Shoppes at Royale Walters, upstairs, is a Country Store which serves great homemade icecreams. Grab a brew from Tortuga downstairs and sit ouside and people watch.

Many restaurants serving local fare can offer a nice meal for less than US$10. Corita's Copper Kettle is a favorite right on Edward Street in George Town.

There are also many fast food chains here such as Subway, Burger King, Wendy's, or Pizza Hut.

Arthur Treacher's has a $3.00US Hot Dog...http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_menu.asp?restaurantID=101&menu_headingID=193

Check out the listings under George Town for other options by the tender area:

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/restaurants_results_list.asp?restaurantID=0&locationID=3&cuisineID=0&c=1,4&Submit=Search

Just remember to add 25% to the listed prices to covert to US$, or for the time being CAD$.;)

They have an Arthur Treachers????? I haven't seen one of them since I was a little kid! We might have to stop there just for nostalgia.

Maggie

We have the same issue. We are taking Ziploc bags on the cruise and ordering sandwiches from room service either early in the morning or the night before and taking them with us. I hear the BLT's are very good. I will stick them with our cold water bottles and they will be fine for the few hours.

Have fun whatever you do!

Thanks!

Erin

BTW....which ship are you on and which excursion? We are going to be in GC on Tuesday April 27. We are doing Sting Ray City with Dexter's Fantasea Tour.

Last July our Stingray City guide suggested the Craft Market near the downtown port area. It was a covered open air counter service place that had pretty good local food at decent prices. I had the jerk chicken platter and I believe it and a soda went for around 8 dollars.

Where is Arthur Treacher's in relation to the pier?

http://www.caymangoodtaste.com/interactive_map.asp?mapID=12&restaurantID=101

The port area is loosely labelled "George Town Harbour" and the restaurant is labelled with an arrow.

That website is a great one, since it has menus and maps for the majority of restaurants on the island.

don't forget the exchange rate as most prices in smaller places are going to be in CI

your $1 US is 80 cents CI .... or if it is $10 CI it's gonna be $12 US

she may look 20 but she's 16 CI

that's where many people get cornfused .... when they get the bill in US

here's the bar manu for a popular outdoor seaside place I frequent so you can see some prices and note it clearly says prices are in CI

http://sunsethouse.com/images/Menus/Snack_Menu_2010.jpg

the exchange is fixed at 1 KYD = $1.23335 but you'll get 1.20 most places in my experience unless you actually go to a bank and exchange funds. US is accepted everywhere.

Last July our Stingray City guide suggested the Craft Market near the downtown port area. It was a covered open air counter service place that had pretty good local food at decent prices. I had the jerk chicken platter and I believe it and a soda went for around 8 dollars.

I'll second that! We ate there and had jerk chicken, beef patty, and other local dishes. It looked like their menu changed depending on what was fresh. We really enjoyed it and the price! And then all of our savings went out the window with our two pretty drinks at Guy Harvey's Bar... $25 (US) for 2 drinks!!!! Just like other posters have mentioned, make sure you notice if price is Cayman dollars or US dollars.

Have a ball!!!

Archived