Question re: guarantee - before I called TA again.

Jo2310

We got our assigned guarantee OV cabins on the Monarch, sailing in July. Our party of 2 adults, 2 kids (18 & 15) have been assigned 8th deck (cat. I) and 2nd deck (cat. H) one child per adult in the rooms. We gladly accept that as we knew if was a guarantee. I just tried to get cabin 2004 (way forward) moved to midship for fear of too much motion. (We also got cabin 8504 - foward also). My TA is telling me RCI will gladly do it for $400! because they are no longer offering guaranteed categories. I've been reading about people trowing the rooms back into the guarantee pool (that was refused to us for same reason as above - no guarantee rates at moment) - I guess I misunderstood people on this forum that state that once your cabin category is assigned you can move within the same category?? Not looking for upgrade - not in the least - just relocate to midship on 2nd deck...thanks everyone.

Have your agent call again.....Everytime you call you get a different answer.

Just make sure agent doesn't ask to get thrown back into the GTY pool.

You are just asking for relocation because you are a first time cruiser and you are afraid you might get sea sick. Your agent should be telling them if their clients get sick they may never book another cruise.

Just asked to be switched to midship cabins still the same category you already booked. Better to have the exact cabin numbers you want when calling. Have the numbers ready so you aren't wasteing the persons time at Royal Caribbean.

Jimbo:)

Have your agent call again.....Everytime you call you get a different answer.

Just make sure agent doesn't ask to get thrown back into the GTY pool.

You are just asking for relocation because you are a first time cruiser and you are afraid you might get sea sick. Your agent should be telling them if their clients get sick they may never book another cruise.

Just asked to be switched to midship cabins still the same category you already booked. Better to have the exact cabin numbers you want when calling. Have the numbers ready so you aren't wasteing the persons time at Royal Caribbean.

Thanks Jimbo - that's exactly what I did - I had the cabin numbers - there are loads of them midship available. It's RCI telling my travel agent they will do it only for a $400 fee because they are not offering cat. Y (guaranteed I booked under) anymore??

Thanks Jimbo - that's exactly what I did - I had the cabin numbers - there are loads of them midship available. It's RCI telling my travel agent they will do it only for a $400 fee because they are not offering cat. Y (guaranteed I booked under) anymore??

Call again today. If it doesn't work call again in a few days. What is the exact sailing date? No reason they shouldn't do it with loads of cabins available. Doesn't your agent have a special person at Royal Caribbean that he/she deals with everytime? that is the person they need to talk to to make the switches.

Call again today. If it doesn't work call again in a few days.

It's unlikely to ever work unless they again offer a guarantee category. You can get thrown back into the guarantee pool only if there is a guarantee pool to be thrown back into.

It's unlikely to ever work unless they again offer a guarantee category. You can get thrown back into the guarantee pool only if there is a guarantee pool to be thrown back into.

Not always true, have booked a Category X Balcony GTY before. Assigned a cabin, had it changed after there weren't any more Category X offered. It's depends who your agent knows at Royal Caribbean to make things happen.

OK I understand about the guarantee pool..but wanting to charge me $400 to relocate midship within the same deck and category (H)?? I guess I'm wondering, once we board (July 26th) can I request a move at that time - or will they charge me to relocate because there's no guarantee pool at that time either? Maybe there's a better chance because they will know for sure what's available at that time. Thanks everyone.

As long as you stay in the same category cabin and just want to move midship, I say you should get the TA to call again. Like the poster above said, have the cabin that you want to move to picked out and give them that cabin number. It really should not be a problem.

You can call RCI five different times and get 5 different answers, just keep trying!:)

Good luck!

As long as you stay in the same category cabin and just want to move midship, I say you should get the TA to call again. Like the poster above said, have the cabin that you want to move to picked out and give them that cabin number. It really should not be a problem.

You can call RCI five different times and get 5 different answers, just keep trying!:)

Good luck!

Thanks! I'm so used to booking all my own travels....not sure what possessed me to book with online TA this time??? Not saying he is not good but I would rather deal with RCI directly - we are first time cruisers, knew nothing about cruising! maybe that's why we booked with TA..then I discovered this forum lol...

I am wondering why RCI is assigning guarantee bookings so far in advance. I have booked this way twice before and found out my room like 2 weeks ahead of sailing. This time I booked balcony guarantee and found out within like 48 hours. Seems like OP had same situation. Does anyone know? Also being booked this far in advance do they ever change assignment or upgrade.

Thanks to all - I called TA again and told him all about this great forum and that I wished for him to try again, as recommended, and guess what?? they gave my husband and son a midship on 2nd deck! Apparently my other son and I really lucked out in getting an OV on the 8th deck. The TA told me he was successfull with the person he spoke to this time - previously called twice before. Funny how it depends on whom you speak to?? Now, if I or my younger son get seasick in our 8th deck forward (8504) cabin, we can go sleep on the 2nd and boot the other two to the 8th lol....I'm pretty happy.

I am wondering why RCI is assigning guarantee bookings so far in advance. I have booked this way twice before and found out my room like 2 weeks ahead of sailing. This time I booked balcony guarantee and found out within like 48 hours. Seems like OP had same situation. Does anyone know? Also being booked this far in advance do they ever change assignment or upgrade.

Those are my thoughts exactly! We sail on July 26th and I was assigned cabins last week. I'm wondering also if I will lose my 8th deck OV?? funny though, that cabin on the 8th is classified lower (cat. I) than the 2nd deck (cat. H)?? the 8th deck is completely sold out.

Those are my thoughts exactly! We sail on July 26th and I was assigned cabins last week. I'm wondering also if I will lose my 8th deck OV?? funny though, that cabin on the 8th is classified lower (cat. I) than the 2nd deck (cat. H)?? the 8th deck is completely sold out.

On the Monarch deck 8 are all obstructed OV's hence the lower category:) I personally love them and find them to be a great value. Usually cabins that are far forward are a different category (less desirable) than midship cabins so that may be why there is a price difference. Enjoy your trip:)

I'm thinking this is more of a TA problem than an RCCL problem. We were booked in a Category Y on the Rhapsody and then assigned a cabin on deck 2. We booked direct. I have called RCCL three times since, never spoke to the same PCC and got assigned three different cabins with the last one midships thank heaven. There were no Category Y's available and I had no trouble any of the times. Our cruise isn't until the fall.

Archived