Don't book these cabins on the Oosterdam

rklrkl

We had our first aft suite a couple weeks ago on the Oosterdam - cabin 6166. We did notice some soot on the table and deck 1 or 2 mornings but our fantastic cabin stewards cleaned it right up! We were very happy with our cabin and had a great cruise!

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but we have this exact cabin (SC6166) on the "O" at the end of May to Alaska. Nice to know that this was not an issue on your balcony.

Did you have a problem with closet space? I've been told that the only closets are the 3 narrow ones in the dressing area. Not good since we will have heavier clothing and jackets...

Thanks..

Pam

Well, our RCI Mariner cruise was canceled--taking the ship from West coast--so we're looking at O for a 10 day Sea of Cortez.

Unfortunately our good friend--LAFFINVEGAS--is on a cruise and can't answer my questions, sooooo--here I am. :)

What is the difference between the VA-VF cabins ? I'm looking on verandah deck at the VF's near the aft elevators. (mainly due to prices). Is that a good area for someone who gets tired walking ?

Also, port or starboard ? Coming back, we don't care what we see, but we do like to see the towns when anchored or docked.

Sheesh~~I sound like a newbie. :eek: Thanks.

Pat

Well, our RCI Mariner cruise was canceled--taking the ship from West coast--so we're looking at O for a 10 day Sea of Cortez.

Unfortunately our good friend--LAFFINVEGAS--is on a cruise and can't answer my questions, sooooo--here I am. :)

What is the difference between the VA-VF cabins ? I'm looking on verandah deck at the VF's near the aft elevators. (mainly due to prices). Is that a good area for someone who gets tired walking ?

Also, port or starboard ? Coming back, we don't care what we see, but we do like to see the towns when anchored or docked.

Sheesh~~I sound like a newbie. :eek: Thanks.

Pat

There are exactly 2 (two) differences between VA & VF cabins:

1. Price

2. Location, location, location.

The higher up and the more mid-ship the pricier and thus the different V* designations for the otherwise identical cabins.

There are a very few with a steel balcony railing rather than a clear Plexiglass one, but these have a designation on them so you will know before booking.

As to which side of the ship for viewing ports, it depends on the particular port, the mood of the Harbor Master and sometimes even the wind.

This is to say "Port" (left) side of the ship does NOT mean that it will always be facing the "Port" where you dock.

I frequently see the same HAL ship at the same HAL berth here in Ft. Lauderdale, Port Everglades docked facing in opposite directions on different weekends.

Hope this helps,

r.

There are a very few with a steel balcony railing rather than a clear Plexiglass one, but these have a designation on them so you will know before booking.

The only steel balconies on the Vista and Signature class ships are the VH and VF cabins on deck 4.

Does anyone have 1st hand experience with Oosterdam Upper Verandah deck Aft cabins-- we are booked for 12 nights & still have other options for cabins I think--

assuming this is not an isolated event & if it likewise happens on the higher decks

Tamsocal,

Check out my review of our Oosterdam cruise last November. There is a link in my signature. We had one of the stern/aft/wakeview (whatever you prefer to call them) and I included our thoughts about it in the review.

Enjoy your cruise on the Oosterdam - she is a very fine ship.

:D:D:D

Tamsocal,

Check out my review of our Oosterdam cruise last November. There is a link in my signature. We had one of the stern/aft/wakeview (whatever you prefer to call them) and I included our thoughts about it in the review.

Enjoy your cruise on the Oosterdam - she is a very fine ship.

:D:D:D

Thank you brucory-- review was great. We are excited. I was hoping to see a review form someone who had stayed in a cabin in the middle vs wraparound-- so your review was helpful to read :)

I don't think we had a problem with soot but we did have cigarette ashes dropped onto our balcony during our recent stay in cabin 4164. Mostly it was wonderful to have that extra deep balcony, though.

Archived