Bring More Meds Than You Need......

sail7seas

Another lesson learned from the travel nightmare so many are experiencing.

Never leave home with only the exact amount of medications you think you will need for your trip. We Always bring at least a week's worth of extra meds and I may start bringing even more of medications that we absolutely must have. Want to avoid adding that stress to all the rest if we cannot get home as planned.

On a lighter note, I wonder if this will get all those people who say "oh we just bring our old underwear and throw it out so we have more room for souvenirs" rethinking that strategy :D

Lets hope they're all "dooty free" :eek: ;) :p

Truly an excellent reminder. It could be a bad thing for folks who are on critical meds if they get stuck for days or weeks beyond what they planned. Let's hope the point is taken by all of us.

On a related note, it's always a good idea to have a copy of all your prescriptions (including corrective eye wear) when you travel. It might make things so much easier if you need replacements.

Never leave home with only the exact amount of medications you think you will need for your trip. We Always bring at least a week's worth of extra meds and I may start bringing even more of medications that we absolutely must have. Want to avoid adding that stress to all the rest if we cannot get home as planned.

Hi sail!

You know I would be popping in on a thread like this!

Absolutely agree!

In fact even if I go out for the morning thinking I'm just running an errand

I still bring enough meds with me to last the whole..you just never know when plans can change.

K

I was just discussing this the other day with my husband. I was concerned about the folks who've been stranded for so long who might be out of their medicine.

When we travel I always take 3 or 4 days extra and there have been times when we've been glad of this. But if we'd been caught up in these air delays I still would have run out. One medicine in particular is critical and I'm thinking that in the future I'll put enough of that for two weeks.

Anyone who has to take many medications would know to pack extra medications whether they are only flying here in the country or abroad.

It is just common sense.

True, but I would have thought that 3 or 4 days' worth extra would be enough. However, in this unique volcano situation, not even a week's worth of extra would be enough.

So, the question is, how much extra might be enough to take when cruising??

Extra meds--absolutely---but also this situation demonstrates the importance of having a good deal of available credit on the cards you take with you. I know it has been discussed in the past but many people have pooh poohed those who said it was necessary to have a large credit limit on their cards while cruising.

Your insurance may reimburse you after the fact, but you have to come up with the funds to look after yourself in an emergency until the emergency is over.

And what about out-of-country medical insurance? I suspect most people buy just enough for the time they plan to be away. Not everyone cruises/travels enough to justify having a yearly policy.

My husband has a yearly policy which allows him out of the country for 15 days at a time. If you are going to be longer you have to buy a daily top up before you go. However if you are going to be delayed coming home they allow you to phone and add more days to your policy.

Next year with the longer cruise we will buy a yearly policy that allows 30 days at a time with a daily top up after that.

I think this is a very important point. I always carry an extra 3 days of my critical meds with me at all times. I have been on a "one day" business trip that turned into 3 days when there was a blizzard that shut down the airport. You never know.

And I always take plenty of meds on an overseas or longer trip, never just what I need for that number of days. On a couple of occasions, I have had one of those nasty TSA agents tell me "You don't need that much for a 2 hour flight." A 2 hour flight turns into 2 - 3 days all too often unfortunately. I just ask for a TSA supervisor at that point. I never put medications in checked luggage, as they lose baggage or steal things way too often. (Actually I rarely check bags at all, but that's a different thread!)

My husband has a yearly policy which allows him out of the country for 15 days at a time. If you are going to be longer you have to buy a daily top up before you go. However if you are going to be delayed coming home they allow you to phone and add more days to your policy.

Next year with the longer cruise we will buy a yearly policy that allows 30 days at a time with a daily top up after that.

just for travel..by the year..70 days of ill ness ex\ach time, but as many times as needed. $199..by HTH World Health Ins..need a primart to get it tho..neve had to use it..knock wood..meds are by the 90 days for me..look into that why dont you. @ Insure my trip dot com

Extra meds--absolutely---but also this situation demonstrates the importance of having a good deal of available credit on the cards you take with you. I know it has been discussed in the past but many people have pooh poohed those who said it was necessary to have a large credit limit on their cards while cruising.

Your insurance may reimburse you after the fact, but you have to come up with the funds to look after yourself in an emergency until the emergency is over.[/quote

" Expect (hope ;)) for the best , plan for the worse"...there is much merit in these old sayings.:)

Aside from natural disasters,... should a traveling companion become hospitalized and not able to travel home for an extended period of time, extra funds and medications will be one less thing to worry about.

"Be Prepared " if I remember correctly, was my Girl Guide motto :D

I count out our pills and put them into little zip-lock type bags with each bag holding pills for one day. That way, all I have to do when I go to take them is to pull our a baggie and have all that I need. In the past, I have always taken enough for a couple of extra days in case of a delay. But now, after seeing the chaos that that volcano caused, I will increase that amount I take with me. If I still have extra bags with pills in them after I get home, I find it convenient to already have all my medicine counted out.

Also, after following the recent massive air shut downs, I will be taking copies of all our medications with me.

Through the period of time we have been prescribed certain medications, I watch the dates carefully and each month I refill the Rx a few days earlier than I did the month before. Those three of four extra pills each month accumulate to give me a fair 'back up'. Most insurers allow refills up to a week in advance of the date they were refilled the month prior. Some insurers also permit (maybe once a year) an early refill because of travel plans. Special request has to be made but I have had that approved.

Build a small back up supply to have in case of emergency such as flooding we've seen lately, blizzard or travel delays etc

Through the period of time we have been prescribed certain medications, I watch the dates carefully and each month I refill the Rx a few days earlier than I did the month before. Those three of four extra pills each month accumulate to give me a fair 'back up'. Most insurers allow refills up to a week in advance of the date they were refilled the month prior. Some insurers also permit (maybe once a year) an early refill because of travel plans. Special request has to be made but I have had that approved.

Build a small back up supply to have in case of emergency such as flooding we've seen lately, blizzard or travel delays etc

I agree -- We have a mail in type service and order 90 days at a time --over the years we have built up a 90 day extra supply -- Which means we don't have a problem with the timing of long cruises -- as long as Doc does change our medications it works good.

Ray

I count out our pills and put them into little zip-lock type bags with each bag holding pills for one day. That way, all I have to do when I go to take them is to pull our a baggie and have all that I need. In the past, I have always taken enough for a couple of extra days in case of a delay. But now, after seeing the chaos that that volcano caused, I will increase that amount I take with me. If I still have extra bags with pills in them after I get home, I find it convenient to already have all my medicine counted out.

Also, after following the recent massive air shut downs, I will be taking copies of all our medications with me.

I also dole out each days pills into little ziplock baggies (purchased from SciPlus.com) and then I put those filled baggies into a larger ziplock bag in our carryon. Since the V.A. mails a receipt with each Rx that has the Rx info on it, I also put all those Rx receipts into the larger ziplock as well as a copy of the TSA website rule saying that pills do NOT have to be in the original bottles.

I've never had to use any of the paperwork but I always feel more prepared by having it.

Archived