QM2 Balcony A4 Restricted View

snoozy

Hi everyone,

I wonder if you can help. We are looking at booking a roundtrip transatlantic on the QM2 in July, Deluxe Balcony A4 restricted view. What is the "restricted" view? Does it make alot of difference?

Many thanks,

Denise.

You will have a lovely view of a life boat or sea shuttle, but the good news is you are on 8 deck amidship so it will be a comfortable Place. You can see down to the promendade deck below, and the sea from there. Its not the best view, but thats why its an A4 instead of a higher grade. If the view is important to you, I would book a different grade

Enjoy.

Mike

Here's the view from 8101

Thanks NomDePlume for the photo,

I was offered one of these cabins as an upgrade from a hull cabin, I'm glad now I turned it down.Not for me,but may well suit somebody who wants/needs a higher deck cabin.

Thanks again.

Carl

Didn't Cunard recently change Category B6 to Category A4? I think one benefit of booking Category A4 Guarantee is that you'd be assigned a stateroom in A4 or better, i.e. you're guaranteed a stateroom with a glass balcony enclosed (which may or may not have an obstructed view depending on possiblity of upgrade) rather than a B Category hull balcony.

Depending on the voyage, my experience is that a glass balcony is very nice if you enjoy watching the sea from your balcony. But hull balconies also have their advantages too, such as offering more protection from the elements and being on a lower deck.

Salacia

Now this thread has me worried. We have been assigned Cabin 5133 in Category A on QV for a future cruise. If this is a restricted view similar to the one pictured by a previous reply here, I need to do something about it! Can anyone tell me what to expect with this cabin?

Now this thread has me worried. We have been assigned Cabin 5133 in Category A on QV for a future cruise. If this is a restricted view similar to the one pictured by a previous reply here, I need to do something about it! Can anyone tell me what to expect with this cabin?

Alpacas, I think you'll find on QV that the cabins that have their view completely obstructed by the lifeboats (as in the picture shown earlier in this thread) are all on Four Deck. Some of the Five Deck cabins have what Cunard describe as "partially obstructed" views but that only means that the top of the lifeboat is roughly level with the bottom of the balcony thereby obstructing the view directly downward. I think you will be ok with 5.133 unless you are bothered about not being able to look straight down at the sea.

J

Thank you everyone for the fantastic advice and opinions. You've given me alot of food for thought. I think I will risk the A4. We'll have to make sure we don't spend too much time in the stateroom and take advantage of everything the QM2 has to offer. :).

Snoozy, as long as you are ok with A4, obstructed view balcony, do you have the option of booking A4Guaranteed rather than choosing a specific stateroom? That would mean you would be assigned A4 at the least, maybe better. Please note: if your prone to seasickness, you might to select a specific stateroom that is mid-ship on a lower level.

Happy Sails to you,

Salacia

Salacia

Thank you everyone for the fantastic advice and opinions. You've given me alot of food for thought. I think I will risk the A4. We'll have to make sure we don't spend too much time in the stateroom and take advantage of everything the QM2 has to offer. :).

Don't worry snoozy, if you're anything like me, once you've seen everything that's on offer throughout the ship you won't be spending a lot of time in the cabin. To me it's a place to sleep and get changed. It's also where my laptop lives so I can download all my photos before going to bed. Other than that I rarely see the inside of the place.

J

You're quite right - and I have awarded myself two slaps on the wrist for inaccurate posting. :)

J

My friend, everything you said was actually correct. No need for whipping.:)

You didn't say that there are balcony cabins with obstructed views by lifeboats. You only said that the obstructed cabins on QV are on Deck 4, which is quite right.

I just wanted to clarify that all those cabins have no balcony, as I have seen other posters doing this mistake before.

I just wanted to clarify that all those cabins have no balcony, as I have seen other posters doing this mistake before.

Well, you see, this is as good a demonstration as anyone will ever see that we can all learn something new every single day. I've sailed on the damn ship twice now but, never having actually been in one of those cabins, I simply assumed, from the exterior view, that they had balconies but that the balconies themselves were obscured by the lifeboats. :D

Now I know.

J

When is an upgrade not an upgrade , i would suggest not an obstucted balcony (deck 8)(QM2). Even on an transatlantic i would prefer a in-hull cabin if possible.....on deck 8 if it is obstucted.. it is . These cabins are wrongly sold mainly as upgrades which is wrong.

Fred.

Fred, I understand what you are saying, and I would also prefer an in hull balcony to an obstructed view balcony if the pricing were the same. In the past, B6 was the least expensive balcony category. Crafty of Cunard, changing B6 to A4.

Salacia

I just found out that our cabin 5133 does have a lifeboat below it (on the deck below. Will we mind that? Our cabin is midship, but we could switch to a guarantee and hope for something better. This cruise is to Hawaii from LA next Jan on QV. Also, can anyone tell me if they give you a chance to upgrade to grills that have not sold at the last minute for good prices? Thanks. Helen

I just found out that our cabin 5133 does have a lifeboat below it (on the deck below. Will we mind that? Our cabin is midship, but we could switch to a guarantee and hope for something better. This cruise is to Hawaii from LA next Jan on QV. Also, can anyone tell me if they give you a chance to upgrade to grills that have not sold at the last minute for good prices? Thanks. Helen

I believe that the whinge that people have about in hull balconies is that you can't see the sea unless you stand up. In your obstructed cabin you won't see the sea clearly whether you stand or sit. IMHO the best cabin are the in hull as they are sheltered and even in a gale you can venture out there whereas on a glass fronted one it is a different prospect. Also the ride is much better on the lower decks with very little of the lateral roll that is sometimes experienced higher up.

By the way, capn, does that list in red at the bottom of your post mean that you are booked on all of those cruises in 2010? I'm new to this forum. If that's the case, you are indeed a fortunate fellow!

By the way, capn, does that list in red at the bottom of your post mean that you are booked on all of those cruises in 2010? I'm new to this forum. If that's the case, you are indeed a fortunate fellow!

yes and yes :D but 2011 looks sparse.

Archived