are water shoes necessary?

I bought a pair a few years ago from LandsEnd that are perfect for land and water that I swear by, and once DH saw how much I loved mine, he had me order him a pair. This year we only have 2 ports, one of which is Cozumel and we're going to Nachi Cocom. I hadn't planned on taking the shoes until I read that the shoreline can be a little rough, so now I plan on wearing them when I go in the water. I'm the barefoot queen, but there's NO WAY I'd risk a cut, etc... Soooo IMHO, yes they're worth it.

I'll see if they still carry the ones we bought. Just checked, and I couldn't find them. Mine are cute enough that I actually wear them on many other occasions, especially if we're planning on being outdoors and the weather is calling for rain.

Happy Cruising!!!

It all depends on the beach. I am one to love barefoot in the sand, but if there is a coral bottom or rocky bottom then I need water shoes. I'm certainly not going to risk cutting the bottom of my feet.

We have been very lucky finding them at WalMart...and they are very inexpensive...usually under $10.

IMHO, it is a neccessity if you don't want to feel the (sometimes) rocky underwater and/or beach surfaces on which you will be walking. I did find them essential in Coz, and useful in GC...but I don't like to walk on wet rocks and get sore feet, or slip and fall on them. Hope this helps.

I forgot to bring mine this year on my cruise and really missed them. Most of the beaches I went to were sandy and the shoes weren't needed, but on my dolphin swim [in Tortola] the platform was rough and a bit rusty, and another beach was rocky. From now on I'll make sure I have mine. It's worth the few dollar investment.

Hey if you get to Dunns River Falls without water shoes they do rent them:eek: and some people think bowling shoes are gross.
No, no rental places there. I'm in the "Better safe than sorry" camp when it comes to water safety. Even if it's not rocky there can always be broken bottles, urchins and scorpionfish to worry about. Water shoes will offer some measure of safety. If you don't want to buy water shoes, use canvas tennis shoes. Saltwater will ruin leather ones.

Bring them! Usually with the stingrays you are not allowed to wear them as they want you to feel the bottom just in case. But you never know with some beaches a beach that was great last year may not be all that good not due to storms and waves. Better to be safe than sorry.

To me they are a 'beach bag' staple when I cruise - bought an inexpensive pair at Walmart a few years ago - and I just pack them as most of my excursions involve beaches/water - and in case I need them they are handy!

We went to Mahogany Beach in Roatan It was Beautiful and Hot. It was still very new in Feb. 2010. There was a lot of Sand (seems like they dumped it there) in the middle but when you got over to the side closer to the ships the weeds were growing up through it. It wasn't bad but if it grosses you out then you might want them. I went without but some of the group wore them. Better to be safe i guess. Roatan was the closest to the equater that we got and the sun was really HOTTTT (more than any other port) make sure you have your sunscreen :)

To me they are a 'beach bag' staple when I cruise - bought an inexpensive pair at Walmart a few years ago - and I just pack them as most of my excursions involve beaches/water - and in case I need them they are handy!

I agree, a staple in the snorkel bag along with flippers. Take them and if ya want you have. I do love a good, soft sandy beach.....Half Moon is calling me!!

Enjoy!!

Kat

We go to the waterparks here at home so we already have them. We have the ones from Land's End. They are comfortable enough to wear all day so if we are going to go on a water/beach activity we wear them from the ship. Stepping on a sharp piece of coral, rocks, hot sand or hot pavement is not a problem if you have water shoes on.

I'll be buying my first pair of water shoes for my upcoming cruise in October. I'm definitely planning on using them in Belize for cave tubing. We are also considering doing the jet ski stingray excursion through a private company and I'd wear them on the jet ski as well.

Right now, I'm just debating buying cheap ones from Wal-Mart or one of the really nice pairs I've seen on Lands End's site.

Here my story...Went in the beach in St. Augustine, FL years ago. Felt a good pinch on my big toe and something hanging. Quickly got my leg out of the water and found a good size crab hanging to my toe. After I got him out, my toe bleed for a while. After that experience, I always wear water shoes.

We are planning on spending the day at Paradise Beach in Cozumel, would you recommend them there? If there is a rocky/coral bottom then I would like to be prepared, but if it's a sandy bottom I would prefer to be shoeless. :)

I bought a pair of Dockers water shoes that also double as walking/hiking shoes. They are made by Keen, Teva and a number of others. They are very comfortable and you don't need to carry a pair of water shoes around with you. I wear mine all the time. Google Water shoes and you'll see them. They can be bought at Bass Pro, REI and the like.

Archived