Staying at the Hotel Bethel

We will be getting into Copenhagen late afternoon on Saturday, August 14, and will leaving on the Azamara late Tuesday, August 17.

We will be staying three nights at the Hotel Bethel.

With the location of the hotel, I have a few questions (we will have the 72 hour Copenhagen Card):

1. What Canal Cruise would you suggest? (Looks like there might be at least one very close from a picture I saw on Trip Advisor)

2. What transportation will be needed to get to Trivoli and Rosenborg Castle? (Or, what is the distance in walking minutes if that is applicable?)

3. Is getting a taxi the easiest approach to getting to the pier for the cruise, or does the public transportation not a problem? (It looks as if we might still have a bit of a walk after the PT, but is that AFTER only one bus or train, or would we need to use multiple buses/trains to get there?)

4. Since we will have the card, what would be a short-list of things to do to get our moneys worth?

We have traveled a bit, but Europe is a completed different animal because of the public transportation. Which, other than my time in NY,NY I am not accustomed to.

Thanks in advance.

Needs to travel -- we are on the same cruise (we are on the same roll call) and are staying at the Hotel Bethel on August 27 thru the 30th. When will you be there? We should try to at least meet if it is the same timing.

From what I have seen on the other sites, it is a bit of a walk with luggage if you take the Bus to the Port (Bus 26) but, perhaps someone more familiar can give us more information.

For transportation there is a City Cirkel bus that will take you to Tivoli and near to Rosenborg Castle. The City Cirkel is included in your Copenhagen card. Go to http://www.citycirkel.dk for a map of their route. They essentially will take you to or near to every tourist site. No commentary along the way like a ho ho bus, but good transport. I did see an artical where they said they were going to add commentary, but am ot sure that has happend as yet. The City Cirkel goes right by or near to the Hotel Bethel -- how convenient is that!!

Hope this helps somewhat. Barbara

In a photo of the hotel it appears there's a bus stop about 15 from the front door. I can't for the life of me, figure out what bus would have that route. When I do get to some sort of route map, it's in Danish and I can't get it to translate. Does anyone know about that bus?

My Danish is a little rusty. :o

Barbara ~ Sorry, I posted without having read your reply.

Yes, we're going to be there only one night pre-cruise (wish it could have been more). I've read about the City Cerkel bus and think that will be just right for us.

I think we'll probably cab it to the pier. As you say, with luggage it could be a bit tricky.

Can you believe it's only about 4 months away! :D

• 1 year later...
I know this is an older post but would love to hear from those of you that stayed here! It looks like a great location but wondered about the rooms. FYI we are not nit pickers. :)

I assume you have read the reviews on sister website cruisecritic. On my first visit to Copenhagen we stayed a few blocks away at the lovely Admiral Hotel and passed the Bethel often.

If you do not mind a plain room and the potential for a lot of noise because you are right on the main Nyhavn drag directly by all the bars and nightlife, you should be OK. On my second visit this past June, we chose to stay in a quieter location because the action at Nyhavn goes around the clock in the summer and I lost a lot of sleep while staying in that area.

Thanks for the info! It looked to me like The Square was also at a very busy/noisy location. (didn't you say you also stayed there?)

Yes, I stayed at the Admiral for two nights on a land trip with my sister in June 2007 and stayed at The Square for two nights before a cruise this past June. There is only a small facade on the actual square side and most rooms are on the side street, and we did not hear any noise at all. I preferred this location because of the all-night partying in the Nyhavn area in the summer. However, if noise does not bother you, it is a very beautiful location.

Noise?? That's why I travel with a sound machine! :)

I walked the street in front of the Hotel Bethel with the little Google man and it looks like all the bars/restaurants are across the canal. Does that sound right?

I haven't made any decision yet. Will talk with DD & SIL over the holidays and let them choose. :)

I walked the street in front of the Hotel Bethel with the little Google man and it looks like all the bars/restaurants are across the canal. Does that sound right?

No, they are on both sides, but the side where the Bethel is, the sunny side of the street in the afternoon, is much more hectic. You have to pay a lot more to sit down at the bars so many people take drinks to go and wander around, often settling dockside.

No, they are on both sides, but the side where the Bethel is, the sunny side of the street in the afternoon, is much more hectic. You have to pay a lot more to sit down at the bars so many people take drinks to go and wander around, often settling dockside.

OK, thanks for the info!

Remember that there is no a/c in the Hotel Bethel so your windows probably be open if you travel during the summer months. There are very few properties in Coppenhagen that have a/c. Dh insists on a/c so we went with the Square, one of the few that has it.

Archived