Luggage Question

mick70

When we sailed last April you claimed your luggage at the carousel and turned it over to the HAL rep. They had an area cordoned off for all the luggage watched over by a staffer. The next time you saw it was in your stateroom. In our case the luggage was put on a separate truck from the buses that were ferrying the passengers to the ship. I think they had two buses running back and forth between the airport and the ship. We waited about 15 minutes for the bus after we turned over the luggage and it took about 5 minutes to load, 5 minutes to get to the ship and another 5 minutes to unload. Pretty well run operation.

Thanks for quick response. I just wondered if I should put on the ships tags before flying or wait until we arrive then put the ships tags on, since we all know how the baggage handing can be at the air ports.

mick70, are you packed? I am just about finished.

It is raining here in the south right now and kind of cold for us Californians. Hope the rain will be gone when I drive to SD.Forecast is for just cloudy.

Can't wait to see the Oosterdam.

Hope you enjoy the cruise.

Mick70: Sorry to break the news, but it's raining in San Diego, and rain is predicted for tomorrow. If so, and you don't want to wait for the bus, the Cruise Ship Terminal is a short (under $10.00) taxi ride from San Diego Airport.

Bon voyage!

mick70

Why are you using HAL's transfers? They are so much more expensive than getting a cab on your own in San Diego. It is a very short ride from the airport to the pier. In fact, depending on which side of the plane you are sitting on and from which direction you are landing, you may even be able to see the ship at the pier.

Just now get all the packing done. Yes we will get a cab don't feel like waiting for a bus to get full. We are in a "S" cabin. 7053

Taking the cab is a wise choice...good decision. Also sounds like you have a good stateroom (391 sq ft ;) .)

In fact, depending on which side of the plane you are sitting on and from which direction you are landing, you may even be able to see the ship at the pier.

We are sitting on the right side of the airplane and coming in from Atlanta. Have any idea what we might see? :)

While it's true that in San Diego and Ft. Lauderdale you are supposed to collect your own bags, put your tags on your bags, and then give them to the HAL porters. HOWEVER, in Vancouver in Sept of 2004 we could have put the tags on our bags before departure from DFW and the bags would have been pulled for us.

So, they still do it in Vancouver.

I've been inclined to put the HAL tags on the luggage prior to flying - it makes them easier to identify on the luggage carousel and also if they are lost in transit would be easier to identify and forward to the ship...

I reiterate the comment from the earlier poster. Skip the bus, the delay, and the hassle. Take a cab which will run $7-10 and you will be in your cabin before the bus leaves the airport.

The ground HAL staff at the airport are less than helpful.

Gary

Sea Island Lady,

On the right side of plane coming in you'll see Balboa Park and parts of the city. On the left side of plane you'd see parts of city (including our new ball park(Petco Park), Coronado Bridge, the bay plusthe cruise terminal and all ships docked. :)

:( Well, I guess the park will be pretty. What other ships are docked?

We are flying in a day prior, so maybe there won't be any ships to see.

On the way out of San D., we will be on the right again. I booked the same seats for the four of us. In fact, they are the same seats that we booked on the way out and back from our cruise last September. :D

Archived