Money no credit card

smudgie

I have a question for you...

since my hubby and I dont use credit cards we want to give the 600.00 (that is what Princess requires) but here is the question, if we spend over the 600.00 can we just pay at the end of the cruise with a debt card?

I have a question for you...

since my hubby and I dont use credit cards we want to give the 600.00 (that is what Princess requires) but here is the question, if we spend over the 600.00 can we just pay at the end of the cruise with a debt card?

If you get down below a certain amount while onboard, they will contact you for more. If the cash you have placed on your account depletes, you will not be able to charge anything until you add more to your account. This is IF you don't register a credit card with the purser's desk.

The problem with debit cards is that they are widely used in Canada but not in the states and too many merchants/employees in the states get confused when we ask if they take debit. Our debit cards in Canada are what are financial institution issues us so we can use ATM's to deposit or withdraw cash or go in to practically any shop, restaurant, gas station, etc and make a purchase. Our debit cards are not affiliated with Visa, Mastercard, etc. In the states they only places I've been able to successfully use my debit card are at some gas stations where you pay at the pump, Wal-Mart, and Barnes & Noble. Everywhere else looks at me like I'm from another planet or says that the debit cards they accept are the credit card/debit cards. Even if the original poster phones Princess and asks the answers will be all over the place because Americans do not have the same idea as Canadians as what debit cards are used for. This is what it says on the Princess FAQ, nothing about debit cards, or at least what us in Canada are accustomed to using as debit cards:

We accept U.S., Canadian, British and Euro currencies, and traveler's checks. Express/Optima®, Diners Club/Carte Blanche®, Discover® Network, the JCB Card®, MasterCard® and Visa® are also accepted. Those paying by traveler's checks or cash will be required to leave a cash deposit with the Purser's staff at the beginning of the cruise.

Last summer I called Princess and bought myself $1800 in onboard credit using my credit card. So when I arrived onboard we started with a account of $1800 to draw from. It was funny because we got cards with the onboard credit amount and a note saying:

To: Heather

Have fun!!!

:p

Last summer I called Princess and bought myself $1800 in onboard credit using my credit card. So when I arrived onboard we started with a account of $1800 to draw from. It was funny because we got cards with the onboard credit amount and a note saying:

Have fun!!!

.....and I'll bet you did, too! :D

The problem with debit cards is that they are widely used in Canada but not in the states and too many merchants/employees in the states get confused when we ask if they take debit. Our debit cards in Canada are what are financial institution issues us so we can use ATM's to deposit or withdraw cash or go in to practically any shop, restaurant, gas station, etc and make a purchase. Our debit cards are not affiliated with Visa, Mastercard, etc. In the states they only places I've been able to successfully use my debit card are at some gas stations where you pay at the pump, Wal-Mart, and Barnes & Noble. Everywhere else looks at me like I'm from another planet or says that the debit cards they accept are the credit card/debit cards. Even if the original poster phones Princess and asks the answers will be all over the place because Americans do not have the same idea as Canadians as what debit cards are used for. This is what it says on the Princess FAQ, nothing about debit cards, or at least what us in Canada are accustomed to using as debit cards:

We accept U.S., Canadian, British and Euro currencies, and traveler's checks. Express/Optima®, Diners Club/Carte Blanche®, Discover® Network, the JCB Card®, MasterCard® and Visa® are also accepted. Those paying by traveler's checks or cash will be required to leave a cash deposit with the Purser's staff at the beginning of the cruise.

Huh. :confused: No problems with debit cards in Texas. We use them all the time. We never write checks anymore. Of course we also use our Princess and Carnival credit cards a lot too for the points!

Have fun!!!

That's so funny! I believe it, too! Before my oldest grandchild was born, I ordered a gift certificate from Pottery Barn Kids for DD, and gave them her name and address for mailing, but I used my name and address for billing. Yep! I received the gift certificate with a note "congratulating me on my new arrival", and a brochure offering (really expensive) purchases. Well, my "new arrival" was my always-overpriced cable bill and a notice advising that my HOA fees would be increasing. My oldest son, Scott, once had flowers delivered to me with a note saying, "Happy Mother's Day, Scott! Love, Mom". Education is the strength of nations.

Like the OP, we don't use credit cards either, thought we have one for emergencies. We needed to enter the credit card info on personalizer in order to complete registration, and when we got onboard, put down minimum $300/account. The purser said that if we went below the cash balance (and didn't add more $), the additional expenses would be charged to the credit card that was initially registered. They would not remove the credit card information and use only cash without a back-up source. I am sure that your debit card would qualify as your "backup). We checked our balance periodically, and actually transferred some money from the kids account to ours since they weren't charging to room account.

Huh. :confused: No problems with debit cards in Texas. We use them all the time. We never write checks anymore. Of course we also use our Princess and Carnival credit cards a lot too for the points!

Even my 16YO grandson has a debit card!!:p

The debit cards that we use here in the States are, in general, tied to Visa or Mastercard... at least they have that logo on the face of the card. I don't use credit either, but I have a Visa debit card, so I can use it everywhere Visa is accepted.

I've always wanted to come to Texas so that's good news about the debit cards. May be planning a road trip there in a couple of years. Here debit cards are linked to our bank account. As long as we have money in our bank account when we make a purchase it will be accepted. No money = declined at the cashier. I forgot I was able to make a purchase at PetSmart recently on my debit card in Washington. Some of the places I have been unable to use my debit card include Comfort Inn, Motel 6, Sizzler's, Shari's, Great Clips, Denny's, IHOP. We travel up and down the west coast by car a lot with our dogs so those are places we stop at frequently and we know those hotels will accept dogs. We carry US cash and I have a credit card I use for travelling but it would be so much more convenient if debit cards were used as widely in Washington, Oregon, and California as they are across Canada.

it would be so much more convenient if debit cards were used as widely in Washington, Oregon, and California as they are across Canada.

Debit cards are accepted almost everywhere in the USA, but, as been pointed out, they almost always are tried to a major logo brand such as Visa or Mastercard.

It appears that you have a valid, bank issued debit card that is not associated with a major brand recognized in the USA. Can your bank issue another brand of debit card that would be recognized more?

Archived