DH's co-worker pretty much said we are stupid for taking a cruise in September!!!

Carmenjames865

Thanks Guys!!!! I knew you could make me feel better!!! :D

We do have insurance on the trip! We have also booked our airfare as well and we are flying in the night before the cruise. We are on a direct flight from Knoxville to FLL and our flight lands at 8:45 PM!

EXCELLENT! You will have no problems at all. Stop worrying, and start planing all those GREAT activities you're going to experience aboard a super cruise. After all, there's a lot of "chocolate melting cake" that needs to be eaten! :D

"SKY"

Having been on Conquest that left before Hurricane Ike even came into the gulf, on a sunday, Ike hit Saturday, almost a week later. I never saw my car again or any of the contents. We had to pay to get home from another port than we left from and spent $200 on extra meds in Cozumel, because we didnt know when we would get home.

The same people here who will tell you dont worry, nothing every happened to me, will have NO SYMPATHY for you. If something does happen, they will say, well duh, you knew it was hurricane season. Didnt you get insurance to cover weather (not all insurance covers weather, even though Carnival's policy does now, it didnt then).

Go prepared and bring extra cash in case there is a emergency. Things happen and no one will be sympathetic. CC is a bunch of know it alls when something happens, they will say you played the odds, you knew it could happen.

It took me almost a year to convince my DH to try a cruise. I booked earlier this month on the Freedom 6 night for September 19th of this year.

He was talking to a co-worker yesterday that is a frequent cruiser hoping for good information to make him feel better about going. Well when his co-worker asked when we were going, and DH replied September 19th, the co-worker started laughing. :mad:

Co-worker told my DH that we better have insurance because we wouldnt be going on the cruise, because everytime they tried going in August or September a Hurricane always cancelled their trip.

So now my DH is really NOT happy, and is questioning why in the world I would book a cruise during Hurricane Season. I tried explaining that Hurricane Season runs from June thru November. I am really questioning my decision now, about booking in September. :(

There is 8 of us going and NONE of us have cruised before, and I would hate to think that I just made a HUGE mistake, and potentially ruined everyones vacation.

Please dont flame me!!

All 8 of us did get insurance for the trip.

Sorry, but your co-worker doesn't know what the heck he/she is talking about. Cruises are rarely cancelled for hurricanes, they must have incredibly bad luck. :rolleyes: Actually cruises are the best choice for a hurricane season vacation because if there is a storm threat where the crusie is planned to sail, they alter the itinerary. No way to do that on a land vacation. ;) There is no way any cruiseline is going to risk a multi million dollar ship and all it's passengers and crew to a hurricane. Plan your cruise with the mindset that you may stop at different ports than you originally planned and all will be well. Sept. 19 is talk like a pirate day. Say Arrrrrrrr, drink some grog and have fun!

Edit... in response to the above post.... I would never park my car in a port area in hurricane season. Two one way rentals is much less risk. I'm sure that was a hard lesson learned by that poster.

Having been on Conquest that left before Hurricane Ike even came into the gulf, on a sunday, Ike hit Saturday, almost a week later. I never saw my car again or any of the contents. We had to pay to get home from another port than we left from and spent $200 on extra meds in Cozumel, because we didnt know when we would get home.

The same people here who will tell you dont worry, nothing every happened to me, will have NO SYMPATHY for you. If something does happen, they will say, well duh, you knew it was hurricane season. Didnt you get insurance to cover weather (not all insurance covers weather, even though Carnival's policy does now, it didnt then).

Go prepared and bring extra cash in case there is a emergency. Things happen and no one will be sympathetic. CC is a bunch of know it alls when something happens, they will say you played the odds, you knew it could happen.

Do you still have plastic and duct tape around your home too?

It took me almost a year to convince my DH to try a cruise. I booked earlier this month on the Freedom 6 night for September 19th of this year.

He was talking to a co-worker yesterday that is a frequent cruiser hoping for good information to make him feel better about going. Well when his co-worker asked when we were going, and DH replied September 19th, the co-worker started laughing. :mad:

Co-worker told my DH that we better have insurance because we wouldnt be going on the cruise, because everytime they tried going in August or September a Hurricane always cancelled their trip.

So now my DH is really NOT happy, and is questioning why in the world I would book a cruise during Hurricane Season. I tried explaining that Hurricane Season runs from June thru November. I am really questioning my decision now, about booking in September. :(

There is 8 of us going and NONE of us have cruised before, and I would hate to think that I just made a HUGE mistake, and potentially ruined everyones vacation.

Please dont flame me!! :o

Don't worry about it. As others have posted, Carnival rarely cancels a cruise. They will reroute it or take other measures. Go with an open mind and a positive attitude. Also, hurricane season is much broader than September. I believe it is June - November for the Atlantic. A lot of us cruise during "hurricane season".

We more often than not cruise in sep, oct, nov because the prices are cheap. The only problems we have ever had is an occational port change due to bad weather, which is fine as long as you are comfortable with the fact that it may happen. You have to rememeber, these ships do an easy 20kts. and can pretty much outrun/outmanuver most storms. Don't wrorry about it, see who look stupid when your husband shows his coworker all the pictures of you guys having an awesome time!

The people here guaranteeing them smooth sailing are as bad as the dope the OP's husband works with. It's hurricane season. That doesn't

mean they'll run into problems or have the cruise cancelled. It also doesn't mean the possibility doesn't exist. Why not decide for yourself if it's worth it?

Don't spend too much time worrying about it.

We cruise every year in September or October, the peak of hurricane season, because fares are the lowest. The chances of any particular sailing being affected by a hurricane, even in September, are minimal. The most common problem would be rerouting to a different port if a hurricane is affecting a port you are scheduled to visit. The worst-case scenario (barring a once-in-a-lifetime event like Katrina) is a hurricane hitting your embarkation/debarkation port and delaying your embarkation or debarkation by a day. If you board a day late, Carnival will refund one 6th of your cruise fare. If you debark a day late, you get a free sea day.

The ships will always avoid the worst of the weather.

You have insurance, so don't worry too much about it and go with the flow.

I'll second that! I always cruise in August-September-October because the prices can't be beat. I've never missed a port or a ship.

On one Mexican Riviera cruise the Captain came on to tell us that we would be going faster since he was swinging the ship wide in the Pacific to avoid a hurricane. We only got a little bit of wind and a fast ship!:D

Don't be afraid. Like everyone says: Your husband's co-worker is jealous or uninformed (probably doesn't visit this board or he would know better) and the cruise lines wouldn't send the ships out if they canceled that often.

You and your husband are going to have the last laugh and come back with stories of having a blast and saving a lot of money.:D

DH's co-worker HAS HIS OPINION. I have cruised last 3 years in september with NOOOOOOO issues. I live in houston and cruised during katrina when everyone had no electricity at home and i was on ship with electricity.

Well, it's kind of a gamble. I've cruise at last 4-5 times during September, and only once were we re-routed, and may I add we have had absolutely spectacular weather on all of our September cruises. :)

Go and have a blast!!

Ditto..got rerouted once, Eastern to Western, but we still cruised! :D

\

No mistake has been made by you. You will be fine. Obviously your husbands coworker is jealous and overall just a rotten person. Relax and enjoy your cruise.

We've been on lots of cruises -- many of them in the early fall and never had a bad experience -- INCLUDING our last cruise which was aboard Splendor last September DURING Hurricane Jemina. As I cover in detail in my review (follow the link in my signature block) although a couple of our ports were changed, the cruise was GREAT -- and the seas were the calmest of all in our experience --

Our Captain knew exactly what he was doing and gave us a fantastic, hurricane and rough seas-avoiding time!

Sounds like you completed your cruise. No worries on ship, just on land/port. Still, I'm sorry you lost your car.

I don't think so. I think most people on here are sympathetic except for a few dips and since they bought insurance--YAY for them--smart move.

Clearly the weather gods have it in for your DH's co-worker for being a total jerk. ;)

Your husbands co-worker sounds like a jerk! I seriously doubt that all of his September cruises have been cancelled and even if they were, it doesn't mean yours will. I cruised during hurricane season last summer and I'm crusing through it again this summer. Don't worry about it, so go and enjoy your first cruise! You will have a blast!

The insurance is a good idea whenever you cruise.

Carnival sails at more than 100% capacity in Sep. same as every other month.

Floridians and Gulf Coasters, OFTEN cruise in the latter half of hurricane season.

Cruise ships CAN and DO avoid storms, not just hurricanes.

I do not know of a cruise being totally canceled by a hurricane. The very infrequent happening is that a day of the cruise might be missed, or port changes are necessary.

More important than the cruise is the flights [if you're flying] Airports cannot sail away from storms so they CLOSE.

Your DH's "experienced cruiser" doesn't know Jack!

We took a 15 day repositioning cruise, Miami/LA. Left a day late as a hurricane hit Miami on sailing day. Missed some Carib. ports avoiding another hurricane. Missed some Pacific ports avoiding a Pacific hurricane. Made it to LA, a great cruise. Got back to Fl. just in time for another hurricane to destroy our house. We lived 10 months in an 8 X 27 ft. camper trailer while the house was rebuilt.

So I'll see your car and raise you a house and 10 months of "camping!"

Whatta got?:D:D:p

please look at my signature. I go every year the same week you do. We have NEVER had an issue or even missed a port. The only times we missed a port were in March and July.

Tell your DH is 'friend' is an a$$.

I just booked my 3rd cruise...when??? This September. When was my 2nd cruise?? September 2009. When was my 1st cruise?? September 2007. Weather can play a factor, however, go and have fun! Weather for 2007 and 2009 cruises was great. And I can't wait for this September's cruise!! I am on vacation and will enjoy my cruise...every moment of it. :)

It sounds like the coworker is just jealous.

In most cases when a hurricane damages a port they just change the itinerary as was the case when I cruised in September 2007. As long as your open to accepting that it may happen to your cruise there should be nothing to worry about. Enjoy your cruise!

All my cruises except for two were during Hurricane season! We are actually booked on the same cruise as you and me and the hubby always sail in September,we have only been rerouted once. Meaning we didn't go to Key West,we went to Freeport instead. You guys will be just fine.

.....and every year I have been on a cruise the last week of August/first week of September. We have had a little bad weather a couple of times, nothing major, but we have never missed a port or had a bad cruise.

Hope this helps.

wasiii

ps my yearly cruise is booked for August 28 for 8 days on the Freedom.

Archived