hotels in NY

moellis1

Hello-

We will be traveling on the Magic out of NY on 5/7/10. We will be arriving a day early and need a hotel to stay at. Anyone have a suggestion on a hotel? Nothing fancy, just clean and safe.

Thanks!

Maureen

Try using hotwire or priceline. My husband and I stay in the city all the time (we live on Long Island) and we always get great deals on those sites.

There are billions of hotels in NYC, so it really depends in what area you want to stay in.

Hello-

We will be traveling on the Magic out of NY on 5/7/10. We will be arriving a day early and need a hotel to stay at. Anyone have a suggestion on a hotel? Nothing fancy, just clean and safe.

Thanks!

Maureen

Are you thinking the Miracle? The Magic won't sail until June of next year.

You might want to ask this on the East Coast Departures forum. Here's a link:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=415

:)

You don't need or necessarily want to be near the cruise terminal. Try to stick with a 3* hotel. NY hotels rooms tend to be small. I get the feeling that folks find the star rating to be a 1/2* to 1* below what they might expect.

Hotwire is currently showing a 4* for $179 for your date in the Empire State area. Betterbidding says this could be the Roger Williams.

What dates and days of the week are you looking at? I think the ferry from the Sheraton only runs on weekdays and it costs $8.50/pp each way - not a real bargin. However, the hotel is nice and there is bus service to NY. Give us more details about what your overall plan and objectives are.

Pre-cruise we stayed one night at the Beacon (upper west side) at 75th & Broadway. We fell in love with that area, and the cab ride to the ship on Sunday morning was very short. The hotel was clean, safe, and newly renovated.

Post-cruise we stayed two nights the Westin near Times Square. It was convenient for touristy things and was a nice hotel.

If we ever go back to NYC (and I pray that we do!), I'd stay somewhere in the upper west side again. Good luck and have fun!

Since we're hooked on Embassy Suites, we're staying on 102 North End Ave for two nights before our cruise out of NYC....rates are $149 a night and we realize we'll be facing a $25-40 cab fare to the piers from there, but we feel it's worth it, especially if you throw in the nightly manager's special for two hours of free drinks, and a full breakfast the following morning when you wake up. We 've always been staying at ES as far back as 1990.....great hotels. If you want to consider staying at EB, call them up and tell them you want the "New York Super Sale" special.

I've heard too many bad stories about NYC hotels. Just looked up the Chelsea Hotel and it says "rooms with a quaint European flair" which is NYC hotelese for "the rooms are like tiny boxes."

Tip for the OP: Consider the Ink 48 Hotel, which is not that far from the piers. Look it up, it's a nice place from what I've read up on but a bit pricey w/rooms running around $200+ per night. Bear in mind, that price doesn't include a manager's special nor a full breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

Never stayed there (not yet!) but we're booked to spend 6 nights

at the budget Cosmopolitan Hotel at 95,W.Broadway in the Tribeca area.

Seems to get decent reviews on TripAdvisor.

Here...try this link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60763-d93351-r62632828-Cosmopolitan_Hotel_Tribeca-New_York_City_New_York.html

I first learned of this budget hotel as a decent inexpensive place for an overnighter,pre-cruise ;)

-right here on these CC Message Boards (with ref. to TripAdvisor reviews).

I'll try to get back to this thread,sometime after June 16th. when we return from NYC

to let you know how it went.

Stay at the Comfort Inn Midtown on 46th street. I live just outside the city, but DH and I just stayed there for 2 nights for a little kid free getaway. It was perfect. In Times Square area, clean, newly renovated, and we paid $140 per night.

Good luck and have fun.

Consider the Ink 48 Hotel, which is not that far from the piers. Look it up, it's a nice place from what I've read up on but a bit pricey w/rooms running around $200+ per night. Bear in mind, that price doesn't include a manager's special nor a full breakfast.

But, there is a daily evening (usually 6pm) wine reception and free coffee & pastries in the morning, as most Kimpton hotels provide. Another Kimpton is The Muse on W. 46th. Eventi, in Chelsea, is the newest Kimpton hotel. Guess you can tell that we love Kimpton. ;):D

Archived