Spa Sales Pitches

bulgargirl

I was just wondering if anyone here had used the spa on a cruise somewhat recently? If you have, was there a lot of pressure to buy products afterward? And how were the services.

I was thinking about some spa treatments on my cruise, but I've had mixed results (on non-HAL cruises) in the past. One lady told me I already had "aged" skin and needed her skin care products to reverse it if I didn't want to look old. Nice.

Just curious about the spa services on HAL......

The spa staff on the HAL fleet work for Steiner Leisure, not HAL. Their salary is commission based on sales and services. Be prepared to say "no thanks", unless you actually do wish to purchase their products.

Absolutely true ;but ,Steiner does have very good products .

If "no thanks" was enough, I wouldn't mind so much. But once you turn them down, they want to know "why", and start trapping you into "well, do you like the way the product makes you feel?", and "but isn't $25 a small investment in the skin you'll have for your whole life?". These things make me really uncomfortable, and I'm honestly offended that someone would spend 50 minutes rubbing every inch of my body to remove every bit of stress, then stress me out over $25 worth of snake oil.

Luckily, most cruise destinations are flooded with cheap massages, and their therapists don't try and sell me anything!

If "no thanks" was enough, I wouldn't mind so much. But once you turn them down, they want to know "why", and start trapping you into "well, do you like the way the product makes you feel?", and "but isn't $25 a small investment in the skin you'll have for your whole life?". These things make me really uncomfortable, and I'm honestly offended that someone would spend 50 minutes rubbing every inch of my body to remove every bit of stress, then stress me out over $25 worth of snake oil.

Luckily, most cruise destinations are flooded with cheap massages, and their therapists don't try and sell me anything!

Thanks for the info photomikey - that's what I wanted to know. I can say no thanks, but I don't like pushiness either. It stresses me out too!

Thanks for the info photomikey - that's what I wanted to know. I can say no thanks, but I don't like pushiness either. It stresses me out too!

The way I handle the pushiness is by saying "I can either buy the products or give you a tip, which do you prefer"

You could always preface your treatment by a statement "I am doing this treatment for relaxation so please don't stress me out by asking if I want to buy any products afterward. I will let you know if I am interested in any of the products." :) :)

You could always preface your treatment by a statement "I am doing this treatment for relaxation so please don't stress me out by asking if I want to buy any products afterward. I will let you know if I am interested in any of the products." :) :)

Good suggestion! I'll admit that I didn't do any spa treatments on my last cruise because of the sales-heavy experience of my previous cruise. Part of me thought "a massage might be nice" but I didn't want to deal with the after-treatment pitch so I talked myself out of it.

On our recent cruise, there were ads slipped under the door at least once and maybe twice a day, advertizing the spa. I was amazed at the amount of paper that is wasted on this type of advertizing, among other ads. I've used the salon on a few cruises, but did not this time, because of the sales pitches given before. The Steiner products are good and I've purchased them on cruises--because I wanted them, not because I was pressured. Besides, who wants more weight in their luggage going home? Ciao. hmh:)

I lie and tell them I just bought a couple of jars/bottles of ........ 3 months ago on my last cruise and have plenty. Yeah, my nose is getting longer.

And I absolutely agree about paper waste, even though you throw it away in the recycle part of the waste basket.

I have never had any follow-up sales pitches after saying 'no thanks'.

On my first 3 cruises (not HAL) I had the hard sell approach afterwards. My last trip at Christmas on the Eurodam was different. She simply asked if I wanted any products and when I said no thank you that was it.

On the other cruises I used various excuses. If they wanted me to buy bath oils, etc. I said I only had a shower, not a tub. I also said (like the other poster) that I had just bought plenty of things on my last cruise.

I like the idea sombody posted of saying do you want a tip or buying products?

I've been on two ships and visited the spa on both.

On the Maasdam I had a massage. I'm not a huge massage person, so it didn't thrill me. But, I did get one of the best haircuts I've ever had!

On the Eurodam, my mother and I did the spa tour when we first got on the ship. Yes, they did push push push, and a similar comment about aging skin was directed at another woman in our group. The combination of the push and the comment made my mother decide NOT to visit the spa.

I did, however, and had one of the scalp massages (which was very nice) and I wound up purchasing the Elemis face cleanser they sales pitched me with before the massage. It's the best face cleanser I've ever used.

I lie and tell them I just bought a couple of jars/bottles of ........ 3 months ago on my last cruise and have plenty. Yeah, my nose is getting longer.

And I absolutely agree about paper waste, even though you throw it away in the recycle part of the waste basket.

I do the same thing. I also tell them that I work for a derm(not a lie) and I have all the skin products I will ever need. I do not get facials. Just body treatments to relieve stress. The best one I had on the Noordam was the seaweed wrap on the float bed. I felt like I was in heaven for an hour and it helped my fibromyalgia pain alot. It was costly ($195) but to me, worth every penny.

Where were these great answers two years ago and me $400.00 richer!!!:eek::eek: It seemed after a facial and massage I was toooooooo weak to resist. So I used the products and lesson well learned (and now DH throws all those "specials" notices out before I ever see them....I think he pays the room stewards extra just to keep them out:rolleyes:)

I love spa treatments and have visited the spas on all of the 10+ cruises I have taken on several lines. All were Steiner I think except on the Norwegian Dawn, which is Mandara (on which I had a wonderful "international" massage combining Swedish with some of the elements of southeast Asian techniques). Here is what works for me to avoid overspending on products:

1) They ask you to fill out a form indicating all the conditions that bother you. If you check off crow's feet, oily skin, bags under the eyes, cellulite, and over-processed hair, you can be sure they will line up products for all those conditions! I usually just check off that I am there for stress relief. (Note: I would suggest you not omit any medical problems--especially allergies--or injuries.)

2) Keep in mind that a facial usually brings on a bigger list of product recommendations than a massage or wrap, so you may prefer to just stick to the latter type of treatement.

3) As others have said, a pleasant but firm "No, thank you, I am just here to relax" is usually effective.

4) And if you do succumb and buy more stuff than you had planned on, try to relax about it. The lines they sell really are of excellent quality and smell wonderful.

Have a great cruise.

I've been on two ships and visited the spa on both.

On the Maasdam I had a massage. I'm not a huge massage person, so it didn't thrill me. But, I did get one of the best haircuts I've ever had!

On the Eurodam, my mother and I did the spa tour when we first got on the ship. Yes, they did push push push, and a similar comment about aging skin was directed at another woman in our group. The combination of the push and the comment made my mother decide NOT to visit the spa.

I did, however, and had one of the scalp massages (which was very nice) and I wound up purchasing the Elemis face cleanser they sales pitched me with before the massage. It's the best face cleanser I've ever used.

The worst thing about the aging skin comment that was directed at me is that I'm in my thirties. I was around 31 then. So telling me I had aging skin at that age really hurt my feelings!

I was on the Oosterdam in March and had a spa special during the evening hours. I booked a massage and I do not know if it was because it was in the evening but there was no sales pitch on products at all.

However, I did have a manicure/pedicure on the day of embarkation (also in the evening after dinner) and started to get a sales pitch about a product while my nails were being filed. I did say that I still had some of the product at home from my last cruise, which was true, and that was the end of the sales pitch. If you know the products by name and mention them first it stops the sales pitch.

I too have had some spa personnel make hurtful comments to me. The older I get the less I put up with that and will not waste my time or money on thoughtless individuals.

I was on the Oosterdam in March and had a spa special during the evening hours. I booked a massage and I do not know if it was because it was in the evening but there was no sales pitch on products at all.

However, I did have a manicure/pedicure on the day of embarkation (also in the evening after dinner) and started to get a sales pitch about a product while my nails were being filed. I did say that I still had some of the product at home from my last cruise, which was true, and that was the end of the sales pitch. If you know the products by name and mention them first it stops the sales pitch.

I too have had some spa personnel make hurtful comments to me. The older I get the less I put up with that and will not waste my time or money on thoughtless individuals.

I got a good one over on the spa personnel when I had a facial .... she said I was lucky to have good skin (inherited genes!) but I should really use their products to keep it that way. She was shocked when I told her I was satisfied with the products I use and didn't need any Steiner products although I know they are good. I said, "I guess I'm doing something right since I'm 75!!! End of discussion!!! LOL

I was very impressed with the spa services on our last cruise- a leg of the Grand World Voyage- Mumbai to Hong Kong. We used the thermal room, I got a manicure & pedicure, and also had foil highlights and a haircut. Could not have been more pleased with the service- the excellent haircut especially, and the best part- NO SALES PITCHES!:D

Archived