New Zealand Cruise-Excursions

goldiemom

I am on a New Zealand cruise next January. I want to visit either Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter & Underwater World in Auckland or the International Antarctic Centre in Christchurch. Do any CCers have any insight as to which one is better? I will not have time to visit both. Thanks.

Hi!

They are both in different cities so you could do both.

Just choose what thrills you more as they are both really great.

We run and B and B and get good feed back about The Antarctic Centre for the history and Penguines but it is out near the airport and about 1 hour from the Port of Lyttleton where the ships dock. There is an aquarium in CHCH city as well that has kiwis!

Kelly Tarlton's is also fun if you like things about the sea. Our kids love it still and they are over 20 years old.

Hi!

They are both in different cities so you could do both.

Just choose what thrills you more as they are both really great.

We run and B and B and get good feed back about The Antarctic Centre for the history and Penguins but it is out near the airport and about 1 hour from the Port of Lyttleton where the ships dock. There is an aquarium in CHCH city as well that has kiwis!

Kelly Tarlton's is also fun if you like things about the sea. Our kids love it still and they are over 20 years old.

I did both and both were good. My kid loved the ride at the Antartic Centre they take you on one of the tracked vehicles around a test track..these vehicles go over cravassess, through deep water etc..even my 85 year old Mum loved it. The room where you dress up and they replicate an Antartic Blizzard is fantastic too...

Of the two I preferred the Antartic Centre it is really something different...Tarlingtons is more like an aquarium interesting but not all that unusual apart from the penguins and rays there is a free bus from the city centre and it was open on Christmas Day.

You will find the Antartic Centre easy to get to, buy your tickets in town at the tourist centre near where the bus drops you off and they provide a free shuttle to the centre at regular intervals.

Thanks for you input RugbyP. We are going to NZ again next year - did the city sights and Olveston House tour last time. Loved Olveston House by the way. We didn't consider the Antarctic Tour, but it sounds great - will definitely consider that for next time. :)

You will find the Antartic Centre easy to get to, buy your tickets in town at the tourist centre near where the bus drops you off and they provide a free shuttle to the centre at regular intervals.

The free shuttle sounds great. There is also a local bus running out there on a regular run from the square, and it will drop you at the door. Its the airport bus.

The other trick is to book your time for the Haguland (sp) ride as soon as you arrive there , as they can only take so many at a time.

Aaagh, I'm getting my cities mixed up. The Antarctic Centre is at Christchurch, right? Olveston was of course at Dunedin. (Don't know why, but I keep getting Pt Chalmers and Lyttelton reversed.:( )

We went to Akaroa last time which was just beautiful and was all I hoped for, but next time we are going to Christchurch so that will be good.

So, we'll have to choose something else for Dunedin. :rolleyes:

Archived