Live From The Sun!

cruiserforlife

The Sun does indeed have a Caribbean night on the pool deck. It was actually one of the nicest ones I've seen. The decorate the deck with palms that are brought on board the day of the party. The pool deck looked beautiful and tons of people showed up. The only problem was they started serving food on the buffet at the pool at 9:30 PM. We hadn't even finished dinner at that point and waiting until 9:30 to eat probably wasn't a good option. But the buffet looked great and of course there were plenty of people who were enjoying the food. It was a great night. Cruzzers, you'll have a great time!

I am so glad this thread is still going!! It's great for people like me who are going to have to wait till next year to be on this ship... reading all of these posts is definitely the best it will get for a while, so many, many thanks!!

We have never been on this ship. We love the grand class ships and have sailed on the Coral which I know is similar but has different features and possibly a different feel than the Sun will have, plus we'll be in a minisuite for the first time on Princess. We eagerly snatch up any information that is shared, so thanks to you all and keep it coming!

Host Anne, Thanks for letting us know about the Caribbean Night celebration. This is one of my favorite nights on the ship when we were on the Grand and Golden. I copy and pasted your reply over to the current thread for the 2-17-05 Sun cruise so they could see what you said about it.

Hi folks:

A couple of questions for those that might know.

How is the disembarkation at Princess cays and generally

how long does it take. I imagine that we are tendered. Last time we went to another private island it took what seemed like for ever to get off.

And does anyone know what kind of hook-ups the TV's in the cabins have. We are thinking of bringing a portable dvd player(audio, video etc)

TIA

Dreamer

HI.. re: cancellations in St. Thomas. We went on one of the ships's sailboat snorkeling excursions in the afternoon that we were in St. Thomas .. same day as being talked about on this thread. In fact we signed up for it at the tour desk on that morning. We also had our choice of a few that went out in the morning but decided not to rush, so went from 1:30-4:30. We had a great day. We went on the Doubloon and there were people both from Princess and Celebrity on it. They took us to a calm bay and we had wonderful snorkeling and it was not rough at all; in fact it was very smooth. I wonder if just the excursions that were going to Trunk Bay were cancelled as certainly we had our choice of a number of sailboat snorkeling ones.

We also snorkeled in Tortola as well but again they took us to a calmer area where it wasn't too choppy.

Cheri:)

HI,

Thanks for the addl info re: High Pockets. I guess it's her call whether it's safe to sail or not. I hopeit works out.

We're sailing away from Martinique where it's been great weather again and very smooth seas overnight.

Yesterday we had the most frequently traveled passenger party in the library which was quite nice as always and then the Island Night deck party later. The deck was nicely decorated and the music was great. During the day we cabbed it up to Reduit Beach hung out there a while and then cabbed back and had lunch at Froggie Jack's. Checked out the shops at the pier, we've had luck their in the past, but this time things seemed really picked over and nothing appealed.

Another uneventful day onboard.

They're making a to-do about Valentine's Day, having videotaped messages for your sweetie and flower sales etc.

I've gotta run now to watch sail away!

enymarsh ~ you are going to LOVE the mini-suite on the Sun. It still remains one of our top two favorite cabins of all time. We did not have one on this cruise but have had one twice in the past (once on the Sun and once on the Dawn). The only room we like as much as these are the family veranda cabins aft on Celebrity's M-class ships. Have a great time!

Dreamer ~ we didn't have any problems with disembarkation in tender ports (and we ended up tendering more than originally planned since Tortola was substituted for Barbados. We had to tender in St. Maarten as well because of the switch in our itinerary. However, we really weren't in a rush to get off or on the ship when tendering so we typically waiting until tender tickets were no longer required. I think the longest we waited to get on a tender going ashore was five - ten minutes.

Returning from Princess Cays, I'd offer the following suggestions -- either head back to the ship early (at least two hours before the last tender) or wait until the very end and take one of the last tenders back as the line for tenders starts backing up quickly in the last 60 - 90 minutes before the last tender back.

What I didn't understand were the hordes of passengers who chose to stand in lines that were probably 45 - 60 minutes long for tenders going back to the ship when you could have stayed on the beach until the line shortened. This is one spot they are not going to leave you behind. Security checks the beach to make sure all passengers get back to the ship. We decided to stay on the beach until the end and had a wonderful day and no line. You can easily watch from the beach for the line to wind down.

I'd give our tender experience on this cruise an A. People who stood in line may not agree.

I am working on the review -- honest. Should be done soon. :)

Ok quick question as I'm about to pack up and leave to get to Florida for next thursdays trip on the Sun.

We're trying to avoid carry a suit carrier around Florida. If I jam my suit into a suitcase it'll obviously need a press onboard the ship. Is this an expensive decision?? Also (from my trouble and strife) are there irons in the rooms, or can you order one?

Simon

PS Anyone please reply soonest. We're out the door in a few hours (7pm EST)

Simon ~ don't lug the suit carrier around Florida. I don't have the exact amount to have the ship press your tux, but it's not a lot. When you get on board and unpack, hang the tux up for a bit and see how it looks. My husband always packs his tux in the suitcase and he's never had to send it out for pressing when we arrive on the ship. Try to pack the tux in a plastic bag (the kind the dry cleaners returns your garments in) before placing it in the suitcase and you'll be surprise how good it looks when you unpack it.

On the subject of irons -- ships ask you not to bring them as they are a fire hazard. However, on the Sun, there are irons and boards in the passenger laundramats (a very nice amenity). So leave the iron home, too!

Have a safe and wonderful trip to Florida and have a fabulous cruise on board the Sun. Great captain and great crew! ENJOY!

Bon Voyage ~

Yes..your suit will be wrinkled..suggestion....lay pants out flat in bottom. with waistband and rest of length over opposite sides of bag....pack clothes "inside" on top of pants them fold them in on top...If you can do the same with your suitcoat they might not be as wrinkled..I've also heard that tissue paper or plastic dry cleaning bags in between layers work wonders.

There should be a laundry area on your floor that has an iron and ironing board for use. ( stays pretty busy :) ).don't think you can order one on the SUN..

I don't know what the charge for pressing is....

Once I hung a few items in the bathroom..closed the door and ran really hot water to steam out wrinkles..works on thinner lightweight fabric...then there's always that spray stuff to get wrinkles out... but I've never had too much luck with it...

Good luck...and Happy Sailing!

Oops..was already typing this post before Anne's great reply!

Anne,

About Princess Cays, we did that too last time. DH and I were the last ones to leave (2 other couples were waiting in the tender)... no lines, enjoyed the Cays until the end... and the people who greeted us goodbye gave me one of their fruit animals as a souvenir... It was so cute!

I only lasted 2-3 days in the cabin but it really made my day. ;)

It was rather funny that you could tell all the Cruise Critic members on Princess Cays. We were the ones lounging around till the end while everyone else stood in line. The great tips you receive here....always helpful! ;)

Back to the review.......

Sorry I have to disagree with you westwind6371 we sailed Highpockets last summer. The seas were quite rough and there was alot of wind. Its took what seemed like forever to get to St. Johns. Snorkeling was not so great because the current was very strong. We made only one stop as that is all that time would allow due to conditions. I Can not even imagine being on that boat in 12ft swells. You made the right choice CFL.

Hi Meredith;

I am not sure what part of my post you are disagreeing with, but this post

"HI.. re: cancellations in St. Thomas. We went on one of the ships's sailboat snorkeling excursions in the afternoon that we were in St. Thomas .. same day as being talked about on this thread. In fact we signed up for it at the tour desk on that morning. We also had our choice of a few that went out in the morning but decided not to rush, so went from 1:30-4:30. We had a great day. We went on the Doubloon and there were people both from Princess and Celebrity on it. They took us to a calm bay and we had wonderful snorkeling and it was not rough at all; in fact it was very smooth. I wonder if just the excursions that were going to Trunk Bay were cancelled as certainly we had our choice of a number of sailboat snorkeling ones."

seems to indicate that conditions that day were favorable to sailing in the area, on the day in question.

Sorry you did not have a good day last summer, but I stand by my statement that Kathleen is a good,competent, fair captain.

Fair winds

Dave

Hi again:

Regarding the tickets for tendering particularly for Princess Cays. Do you get assigned a time for disembarkation or is it first come first serve and everyone lines up like cattle.

The reason for my question is because when we went to Norwegian's private island. We were issued tickets and then waited in line for almost 2 hours to get off the ship. With the kids it tends to get tiresome if you know what I mean.

Thanks

Dreamer

Just Cruzin:

We are not VIP or Elite. This will be our first cruise with Princess. I guess we will join the herd. MOOO!! LOL.

Not sure if anyone saw my earlier post but do you know if the TV's in the cabins have AV jacks for DVD players.

Dreamer

enymarsh ~ you are going to LOVE the mini-suite on the Sun. It still remains one of our top two favorite cabins of all time. We did not have one on this cruise but have had one twice in the past (once on the Sun and once on the Dawn). The only room we like as much as these are the family veranda cabins aft on Celebrity's M-class ships. Have a great time!

Ann, thanks so much for your enthusiastic response. We are both really excited and that's saying something (when my husband also catches the bug!) Thanks to all of the great advice I've gotten by reading these boards we have reserved C747 and can't wait. We've always been more than happy enough in our balcony cabins, especially those aft bb's on grand class ships. Hope we don't get hooked on this! We've never cruised on Celebrity so I can only imagine what your experience has been.

I'm wondering about St Thomas with all this talk about waiting for hours to get off the ship. I know, I know this is not a tender port but on our last cruise I remember some sort of lottery thing, standing in line forever...we were last of course. I don't remember why? Something to do with customs maybe. Can any of you shed light. Really I remember (short port call anyway) waiting for a couple hours before we were allowed to get off.????

Archived