Livorno - bus shuttle ship to downtown

baer

We were in Livorno a couple of years ago and there was a local bus that was available right at the ship. The cost was 1 euro and took us all the way down town. Does anyone know if this transfer still exists for this year?

From there we got the bus to the train station. Or we even did a bus tour along the seaside which was lovely.

If not, I guess the only option is taxi? Any other ideas? We will be on Star Princess - not sure if they run a shuttle into town. All info gratefully accepted.

From what I've read on here and from what I personally saw last July, I believe you will find that the buses from ship to the Livorno Piazza Grande, if they exist, are provided by the cruise line and not the port or the city. Prices will likely vary. So the answer may vary depending on your cruise line. NCL provided such a shuttle last July as did Princess. Both dropped off at the same location in the city, so you had to be sure to look at the sign on the buses to make sure you were on the right one to return to your own ship. However, I don't know if all cruise lines provide such a shuttle.

There is a bus for all cruises because you are not allowed to walk inside the port (or you're not supposed to ... some CC members have posted that they have done it). It's up to the cruise line whether or not they charge passengers for this service; last summer NCL charged 5 euro per person.

The port buses all drop off at the same location in Livorno, near the tourist information kiosk on Via Cogorano (across from Palazzo Comunale). You can buy local bus tickets at the kiosk or at any tabacchi shop.

I believe Princess charges 7 Euros per person (one-way). One problem with the shuttle buses is that often do not start running until around 9 am. You then eventually get into town where you either take a very long walk or get a local bus to the train station. This means you probably will miss the 9:10 train and have to wait for the 10:10 which gets you to Florence at 11:30. That is why we recommend being one of the first off the ship, grab a taxi to the train station (about 20 - 25 Euros total) where you can catch the 8:10 train and be in Florence by 9:30. Those extra two hours make a big difference when you realize that the last reasonable train back to Livorno leaves Florence at 3:27 (gets to Livorno at at 4:50. The reality is that, assuming you can get a taxi from port to station (many taxis do not want these short hauls) you will actually pay less for the taxi (assuming you have 4) then using the shuttle plus a local bus. We think the shuttle buses make little sense unless you just want to spend a few hours in Livorno (not sure why anyone wants to do that).

Hank

We plan on doing exactly what Hank described when we visit in July. We do have the luxury of a late departure time (8:00) so we can stay until the 4:27 if we choose. Another challenge I understand can be getting a taxi from the station back to the ship.

I do not plan on waiting for another couple for the taxi. This is one of the cases where time is more valuable than money. We hope to catch the 7:33 train which puts us in Florence at 9:03. We dock at 7:00 so it should be doable.

Kirk

Anyone knows how much does it cost for a minivan taxi (for 6 persons) from the Livorno cruise port to Pisa's Leaning Tower? Also, how much time does the ride take?

From various threads, I know the taxi cost from the port to the Livorno train station is about 20 euro; train to Pisa Central station about 8 euro/person; and I estimated the cost of taxi from Pisa Central station to the Leaning Tower to be about 15 euro (we don't want to walk the 1.5 miles or wait an hour to catch a transfer train to the train station that is closer to the Leaning Tower). Which adds up to about 14 euro/person; so for the six of us, the total will be around 84 euro. I was just wondering maybe the cost of taking the minivan taxi directly from the port to the Leaning Tower might not be too much higher.

Thank you.

Thank you some much for all your replies. Taxi it will be this time round as we are a larger group and i do remember all the pushing and shoving to get on the local bus.. I want to go to Lucca again and then stop in Pisa on the way back. We did it in plenty of time last time.

Kirk that would be very tight. Unlikely you will be off the ship at 7am. Then you would have to find a taxi from the port to take you to the train station and you would then have to buy tickets before you board. Wishing you the best.

It is tight but if we miss that one there is another about 20 minutes later I believe. Sometimes a 7:00 am time means just that, other times it doesn't. We are prepared to roll with the punches either way.

Kirk

baer.. I found a map of the Livorno buses, and located a #18 bus that runs from the far out dock areas to downtown Livorno, near the main street. You mentiones that you took this dock bus a few years ago? Have a look at the link and see if this is the bus. We are on NCL Jade and it seems like we will dock at the further out area, from the main street. Might this #18 bus be our cheapest option out of the dock to downtown Livorno where we can take the #1 bus to the train station for our DIY trip to Lucca & Pisa.

http://www.atl.livorno.it/mappa2/index.html

Euro Cruiser has it right (as usual) about getting out of the port (to where you can find the 18 bus). When we were on a Princess cruise that docked in Livorno 2 years ago we had reserved a car from a local rental car dealer who has an office in the port terminal building (also known as the shopping center) which is adjacent to the port entrance. We needed to get from the pier to that building (the rental car company was not permitted near the pier for security reasons) and had decided to walk (its about 1 1/4 miles through the port). The port police refused to let us leave the secure zone around the ship for our walk and said we had to be driven off the pier. The Princess shuttle bus refused to drop us at the port entrance (they go right by the entrance) because they said that Princess required them to only take passengers downtown. In the end, 4 of us had to take a taxi who laughed at our dilemma and charged us 20 Euros to drive us 3 minutes to the port entrance! The internal port bus, which is supposed to run within the port, was not running that day and we have never seen it run any day (we have been to this port more then a dozen times).

Hank

Hi

How much do cruise shuttle buses usually charge?

From what I can gether the shuttle bus just drops you in the town centre, then you need a local bus to the train station, wouldn't it just be easier to share a taxi to the train station.

Travelling on RCI Voyager.

Hi

How much do cruise shuttle buses usually charge?

From what I can gether the shuttle bus just drops you in the town centre, then you need a local bus to the train station, wouldn't it just be easier to share a taxi to the train station.

Travelling on RCI Voyager.

Most of the cruise lines are approximately $7 one-way. As I previously posted, a bigger problem then the cost is the time. If you are going to Florence you cannot afford to waste time in the morning which can translate to a 1 or 2 hour delay in getting to Florence. On our last cruise into Livorno (it was a Princess ship) the first shuttle buses did not even start running until after 8:30 am.

Hank

So, am I getting this right... there are taxis sitting there as we get off the ship? Can we pretty much count on that? (of course, everything changes, but it would be great to have some expectations:cool:)

"rows of taxis - not a problem" - UNLESS they do not want to carry you on a short trip - like to the train station - most are hoping for a full or half day hire. But maybe that is what you are interested in.

Archived