UK release of 2011 - Having a laugh?

seb530

Princess 2011 cruises just released to UK customers and captains circle can book from today.

Went to see TA and was utterly shocked at the pricing - 17 days iin June onboard Grand Princess, 2 adults and 2 kids, inside cabin lowest grade - £5113 or $7669!!!! This price is CRUISE ONLY - no air fare etc...

Balcony coming in at an eye watering £7356 or $11000!!!

At these prices, will need to wait and see if the price drops - cant imagine they can fill the ship at that price. If the prices dont and continue to stay at that level then its the end of travelling with Princess for me I am afraid. I do think Princess has just priced themselves out of the market so I do expect prices to drop a fair bit.

Reasoning? According to the princess rep, when I called they are no longer offering child pricing or discounts.

Slightly better is 11 days at the start of June, again CRUISE ONLY, for £2804 or $4000... still a lot more than cruises have cost over the past few years.

Reasoning? According to the princess rep, when I called they are no longer offering child pricing or discounts.

Were you able to get child pricing or child discounts in the past? As I know that it isn't available to us her in the U.S. and has never been, as far as I have heard. Just curious.

Hi, yes sometimes on Cruises outwith term time.. usually before 1st July - but I have only ever seen this on Grand Princess sailings from Southampton UK.

Simlarly, interested to know if you guys woudl pay $11000 for a 14 night balcony - its not a new ship (although excellent!) and not exactly an exotic trip to the bahamas!

I have no real issue - if Princess can fill the ship at those prices then good luck to them but it wont be with my money ;-)

Cruise pricing sometimes debuts very high, and then for us, drops as the ship doesn't sell well. I can't remember ever booking a cruise when they first advertise it and getting the rock bottom price. But the difference I think for us, is we have the benefit of price drops over time, which usually cuts that price in half. :)

yes, think I will need to play the waiting game at those prices.

In previous years, the initial prices have been very good as you got a reasonable deal with some perks such as OBC or parking but it seems this year just wont be like that.

Just for fun I looked at this cruise in AUD for 4 people

Inside lowest grade AUD $11244.62

GBP 6782.02

USD 10429.07

Balcony cat AC AUD $16584.12

GBP 10002.46

USD 15381.30

You thought the prices were high for you.

lol, now I feel much better!! :D

were there flights in that or was that cruise only? The balcony price is astonishing!

Princess 2011 cruises just released to UK customers and captains circle can book from today.

Went to see TA and was utterly shocked at the pricing - 17 days iin June onboard Grand Princess, 2 adults and 2 kids, inside cabin lowest grade - £5113 or $7669!!!! This price is CRUISE ONLY - no air fare etc...

At these prices, will need to wait and see if the price drops - cant imagine they can fill the ship at that price. If the prices dont and continue to stay at that level then its the end of travelling with Princess for me I am afraid. I do think Princess has just priced themselves out of the market so I do expect prices to drop a fair bit.

Slightly better is 11 days at the start of June, again CRUISE ONLY, for £2804 or $4000... still a lot more than cruises have cost over the past few years.

Hi Seb, I have looked at Princess UK website and for the ghost booking I done it came out at reduced prices for the two extra passengers:-

Price Summary Passenger 1 Passenger 2 Passenger 3 Passenger 4 Total

Cruise Fare* £2,725.00 £2,725.00 £1,362.00 £1,362.00 £8,174.00

Subtotal £2,725.00 £2,725.00 £1,362.00 £1,362.00 £8,174.00

Still a whopping amount to pay, but it is 17 days out and out of school term? I recently posted a thread with this exact same cruise (I think) offered at a much much lower rate for "exclusive booking" for being a customer of this particular TA - the price offered to me was something like £1,900 pp with $600 obc, which made the seventeen days out incredibly cheap and unheard of to me.

The Brochure will hold that price untill the offers are put out to the public and they admit that they go like hot cakes, so keep your eye out on any of the major UK highstreet TA, that also do the TV shows on sky and you will be surprised!

Hi Seb530

Been waiting to book as well but was looking at 16 days for £950. Not same cruise as yours.

yours Shogun

Hi Shogun,

Which cruise did you see at that price if you don't mind me asking? Out of Southampton?

We're looking for a med deal for this September but the prices are still too high.

yes, think I will need to play the waiting game at those prices.

In previous years, the initial prices have been very good as you got a reasonable deal with some perks such as OBC or parking but it seems this year just wont be like that.

Hi Seb530

Have you looked at or sailed with P&O? I'm looking for a Med deal for this September and their prices are tempting. One TA was offering 14 days, Ventura, C deck balcony for around £1500 with £200 pp on certain cabins.

I like the 'no fly' aspect but I don't know about sailing with mostly British. I really enjoy the banter with our American friends on Princess. I wonder how the cruise experience compares?

Just for fun I looked at this cruise in AUD for 4 people

Inside lowest grade AUD $11244.62

GBP 6782.02

USD 10429.07

For more fun I checked USA pricing. For inside lowest category, per person price for two was $3190 for 1st time Princess cruiser and $3090 for Captain's Circle member.

For four persons (as Captain's Circle member) total was $9370 not including transfers and $265.28 taxes.

I made a boo boo on my initial post regarding the price at eight grand, I done this booking on a balcony basis! duh.gif! got balcony's on my brain!

Your quite right with that price it as it stands on Princess @

Price Summary Passenger 1......*£1,894.00....... Passenger 2.......*£1,894.00 Passenger 3......£947.00......Passenger 4......£947.00

Total £5,682.00

Still it works out more than yours? strange? 33.gif

For more fun I checked USA pricing. For inside lowest category, per person price for two was $3190 for 1st time Princess cruiser and $3090 for Captain's Circle member.

For four persons (as Captain's Circle member) total was $9370 not including transfers and $265.28 taxes.

On the first time cruiser price that is set at the exchange rate of:-

3,190.00 US dollars = 2,070.62 British pounds sterling

Exchange rate: 0.649098

Rate valid as of: 24/4/2010

noway.gif

I made a boo boo on my initial post regarding the price at eight grand, I done this booking on a balcony basis! duh.gif! got balcony's on my brain!

Price Summary Passenger 1......*£1,894.00....... Passenger 2.......*£1,894.00 Passenger 3......£947.00......Passenger 4......£947.00

Total £5,682.00

yes, I had deducted a the 10% TA discount already!!

Hi Seb530

Have you looked at or sailed with P&O? I'm looking for a Med deal for this September and their prices are tempting. One TA was offering 14 days, Ventura, C deck balcony for around £1500 with £200 pp on certain cabins.

I like the 'no fly' aspect but I don't know about sailing with mostly British. I really enjoy the banter with our American friends on Princess. I wonder how the cruise experience compares?

Have looked at P&O and can see some tempting last minute discouts for 2010 but we are already booked with Princess this year. Tempting to wait and see similar discounts next year. Would have preferred to stay with Princess just as we had such a great time last year but theres a price on loyalty ;)

Out trip last year was mainly british (as it sailed out of UK) but there were a few Americans etc on board - its always interesting to meet people of different cultures...

oh, and... at $44 per day tips for 4 that works out at an additional $748 (roughly £500) additional cost on top!!!

Total £5,682.00

£5,682 is about $8737 at current exchange rates. This is less than the $9370 booking in the USA. Looks as if the joke is on those in the USA, not England.

£5,682 is about $8737 at current exchange rates. This is less than the $9370 booking in the USA. Looks as if the joke is on those in the USA, not England.

Is that at a stand alone price or with the Air fare included. I agree its looking more and more like instead of cutting prices over here, they are keeping them slightly inflated and hiking the US prices?

Seems as if the customer is the looser every time no matter what side of the Ocean we are on at the moment.

This years cruise set me back over £5,500 for three passengers, with out Princess Air but booked through a TA with an overnight in a Hotel (not a great hotel but great location!) In booking through a TA it does guarrentee that each part of the package I booked is secure if one part fails. However, if the Volcano ash cloud decideds to blow again between now and then I will be chucking in the Air part and setting out doing it over land.

We have friends who live in the UK who found what they thought to be excellent prices for Ruby's 10/2011 transatlantic by checking with four different agents as well as Princess. You need to find an agent who does sufficient volume with Princess which then gives them special, lower pricing.

Good luck!

We have friends who live in the UK who found what they thought to be excellent prices for Ruby's 10/2011 transatlantic by checking with four different agents as well as Princess. You need to find an agent who does sufficient volume with Princess which then gives them special, lower pricing.

Good luck!

yep, my TA is one of the largest in UK and always has had excellent prices. However, im constrained somewhat by school holidays in Summer (wouldnt go in April or September) so I always expect to pay a higher price... but perhaps not this high

Is that at a stand alone price or with the Air fare included. I agree its looking more and more like instead of cutting prices over here, they are keeping them slightly inflated and hiking the US prices?

Cruise only, no air.

Archived