What is a "hump" cabin?

Look at the deck plans...on some ships, the side bows out near the center...on most ships, the "draw" of the hump is the convenience of location...the cabins are no larger, and only on Radiance class do SOME of the "hump" balconies get added space.

It's the LOCATION, near the stairs and elevators!

Tracy, a "Hump" cabin is a cabin located in the hump portion of the ship. If you look at the starboard side of the the ship you will see that there is a section in the mid area of the ship that sticks out. This is the "Hump" These cabins offer balconies that stick out more than the others on this side thus offering an unobstructed view. Some of the balconies on the side of the hump are angled and a bit larger than standard.

This is a view of the Serenade's hump

15cg6te.jpg

I will be in my 1st "hump" cabin on the Explorer for our June '11 cruise.....thanks to CC I knew what a steal they are:)

Actually, if you are on the Explorer, then the word is steel. :D

Thanks guys! And thanks, Kevin's Girl, for the picture :D

We are on Serenade next April and NEED adjoining rooms (travelling with 3 kids) and it doesn't look like there are any adjoining "humps".....LOL!!!

I'm just happy to have a balcony! I've been on 5 cruises and have only ever had an inside cabin.......not even a window!

Thanks again :)

Tracy

Hi

What exactly is a "hump" cabin? Is that just a bigger balcony meaning more pricey? We have 2 adjoining balconies but they aren't hump. Should I be requesting hump cabins?

Thanks!

Tracy

The "hump" cabins are cabins that stick out from the rest. They are found on the Radiance class ships (4), on the Voyager class ships (5) and on the Freedom class ships (3).

The cabins are the same size as the normal cabins. The balconies might be a little bigger, but not enough that you would notice. However, because the balconies stick out from the rest of the ship, there is a little more privacy and a better view.

Here are some photos of a center hump cabin on the Mariner of the Seas ...

2066276510095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

2778034460095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

2232682450095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

2808542840095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

Here is the view looking toward the front from the balcony ...

2557503350095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

And here is a typical "non-hump" balcony for comparison ...

2649860850095309218S600x600Q85.jpg

Hi

What exactly is a "hump" cabin? Is that just a bigger balcony meaning more pricey? We have 2 adjoining balconies but they aren't hump. Should I be requesting hump cabins?

Thanks!

Tracy

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

Here are the Voyager and the Radiance Humps

This is a picture of the *Mariner and the Hump balcony cabins on one side of her. Port Side. As you can see they bow out from the ship.

*(In the Voyager Class ships: Only the Navigator and the Mariner have the clear balconies. The Voyager, Explorer and the Adventure have the balconies built into the hull of the ship and have a solid metal bottom with a small amount of glass on top)

These Voyager Hump cabins are the same size as any other cabin in their category and have the same size balcony.

(On the Radiance class ships especially, there are Hump cabins with bigger balconies.)

All of these cabins are in a great location, have a great view, have almost totally private balconies because you are out further from the ship than all others, are near the elevators and the stairs and yet there is no extra noise because of that. ;)

The center Hump cabins are the prime choice with the best views. ;)

humpcabintouchedup.jpg

Below is a view of the Radiance class hump cabins. You can see the balconies are quite large on some of them.

With the elevators on one side of that class ship, there are not as many of the Hump cabins.

attachment.php?attachmentid=68676&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1201541348

Below is the Voyager Class and you can see the Hump cabins and balconies are all the same size. It looks exactly like this on the other side of the hump also.

That very tiny extra space you see on the balcony is actually in the cabin itself.

attachment.php?attachmentid=81571&stc=1&d=1212986405

This is the Voyager class ship with the balconies built into the hull. Adventure, Voyager and Explorer.

This thumbnail is the Adventure of the Seas hump cabin view. It shows you what it looks like from the first cabin on the hump.

This picture is by CC Hawkfish.

Click on image to enlarge it.

Attached Thumbnailsattachment.php?attachmentid=153201&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1271528483

I guess it really comes down to preference....for us- we LOVE the hump cabins!! This is all we ever request now because of all the reasons stated the views are simply spectacular and you are able to see so much more- not to mention the convienance and with them being mainly mid-ship it is much more stable - esp. if there's alot of high current or waves. I learned a hard lesson many years ago and was at the back end of a ship....horrible experience!! Some people absolutely love and swear by those AFT balcony's but that will never ever be my choice. I would never ever again stay at the rear of a ship!! Just my opinion for what its worth!!

Archived