Buying Wine in Sydney

BayCalif-Ariz R Us

Can someone please tell me where the best place to buy wine is in Sydney and whether Princess still has a "friendly" attitude about bringing it onboard - obviously I'm talking about more than a couple bottles. What is the average price of a good bottle of, say, chardonnay? Thanks!

Sorry I'm not from Sydney and can't be definitive about the best place to buy wine, but we bought some in a large Darling Harbour store, which seemed well priced. About 20AUD will get a reasonable Chardonnay. Check online for Woolworths and Coles. They have had 30% off wine lately (if you buy 6 bottles) and Sydney's rail system is pretty easy to use. Woolies and Coles don't have wine from many boutique wineries but they have most popular brands. Not all WW and Coles shops have liquor stores but you can get the info from the Internet.

Princess don't seem to worry much about you bringing wine on board, although we never tried to bring lots. We just picked some up in each port - found some really good wines all over the world.

Good luck. Enjoy Sydney. I'll leave it to a Sydneysider to help you further. GC

As a tourist 3 years ago, we found good buys at the David Jones Store (I think Elizabeth St.) near or inside Victoria Bldg. They had many specials.

http://www.davidjones.com.au/

We found the prices at Circular Quay way too high though they did have excellent high end wines at $120 and above that one would not normally find in other stores.

No change in Princess policy so far.

Can someone please tell me where the best place to buy wine is in Sydney and whether Princess still has a "friendly" attitude about bringing it onboard - obviously I'm talking about more than a couple bottles. What is the average price of a good bottle of, say, chardonnay? Thanks!

Hi BayCalif-Ariz R Us,

Actually live in Melbourne but I know Sydney pretty well. The best place to go is to a wine merchant called Dan Murphy. From memory they have at least 2 or 3 outlets in Sydney. All of them are 5-8 kilometers from the cruise terminal so a taxi will be needed. We were on Diamond (Sydney to Bangkok) last year and taking wine on board didn't seem to be a problem as long as you weren't blatant about it - we carried 4 bottles on in Sydney and again in other ports without any comment but another passenger who was carrying 2 cartons (48 cans) of beer was stopped although I subsequently heard that he was allowed to keep them.

Regarding wine prices - a good Australian white wine should cost you around AUD$10-14, a really good white is probably going to set you back around AUD$20-25 Also checkout the New Zealand Sauvignon Blancs in the same price brackets.:o

hi, if you are cruising into Sydney and docking at the OPT (overseas passenger terminal) there's a bottle shop at Circular Quay station....which is a 5 minute walk from the ship and you can buy 2 litre wine cask for approx $13 or bottles of wine too

rkmw

Right, unless you wish to pay a lot of money for not so good wine avoid the tourist places such as Circular Quay, The Rocks & Darling Harbour.

There are two main retail firms that sell alcohol, namely Coles & Woolworth's. Google the Coles Express store at Wynyard.

This is located pretty well in the heart of the CBD, and is within easy walking distance of Circular Quay or Darling Harbour (ships dock at either location).

Their prices are pretty reasonable, and they stock a pretty decent range. You can also buy what we refer to as 'Cleanskins', which are bottled wine with limited information on the label. They are usually about AU$5-6 each. We drink them, and I'm still kicking.

You will need Australian money or a credit card that is accepted in Oz.

we were in Sydney last october and purchased wine from the "bottle sales" store by our hotel. It was a Jacobs Creek Semollian Chardonnay and was around $6 a bottle, also very good!!!! We did stay further away from the tourist area's. We were walking distance to Victoria building and Darling harbour.

When we boarded the Star Princess we had 12 bottles of the wine, 12 bottles of Strongbow cider and a couple of bottles from the duty free in LA.

Didn't have a problem and enjoyed it on our balcony during our 30 day cruise back to LA:D

When we bought there, there were a lot of nice 50% off specials! But then we had limited ourselves to within easy train / bus ride from Circular Quay.

compared to other places ... david jones food hall is pretty expensive...

thanks so much guys! I'm jotting down the names of wines you're mentioning as well as the stores. We expect to be taking buses and cabs just about everywhere so that's not a problem. Since we'll have four days of adventuring in Sydney, we're sure to stumble across lots of good shopping places.

Archived