Royal Car. Europe Cruise Question - Getting Back Off Ship

chatnoir0418

Hello. This is my first cruise and it leaves from Barcelona on June 6 on RCCL's Voyager of the Sea. There are six of us flying from Philadelphia. Four people in our party are planning on checking onto the ship as early as possible on the sixth but my friend and I want to explore Barcelona a little more. Is it possible to embark, put our bags in our room and then get back off the ship for a couple hours? If not, we're just going to leave our bags in lockers at our Barcelona hotel. Does anyone know if it possible to check in and then get back off?

Thanks!

Of course you can get off again just be sure to be back by All Aboard time usually 30 minutes before sailing time

I would drop your bags at the port then check in get your S& S card & paperwork done before you run off sight seeing

You probably will not get into your cabin till 2-3 pm anyway

We assume from your post that you are spending the night at a hotel in Barcelona. It makes little sense to go to the port around mid-day (the earliest you can get on the ship) and waste as much as 2 hours just checking-in and getting on the ship (many times they do not allow you in your cabin until 1pm). You then have to leave the ship, pay for transportation back over the bridge to town (unless you like to take a 25 min walk) and later pay for transportation back to the ship. It makes a lot more sense to leave your luggage with the hotel (any hotel will secure your luggage) and enjoy your day in Barcelona. Then later in the afternoon you just grab a taxi from hotel to ship, check-in when there are no lines, and you are ready to cruise.

Hank

We had difficulty finding a cab at Las Ramblas to go back to the Pier!

Wow! At first we thought you were joking. You cannot walk for 20 seconds on either side of the Ramblas without seeing a few taxis. As to the OP, since they would be going back to their hotel to retrieve their luggage all they need to do is ask the doorman to get them a taxi (usually takes about 15 seconds).

Hank

This was about 3:30 pm. I think there were quite a few ships in Port. And too many were scrambling to get a cab to get back to the Pier at the same time. In fact, I agree with you -- check in after sightseeing.

PS. Hank: I find all your posts very informative and factual.

Wow! At first we thought you were joking. You cannot walk for 20 seconds on either side of the Ramblas without seeing a few taxis. As to the OP, since they would be going back to their hotel to retrieve their luggage all they need to do is ask the doorman to get them a taxi (usually takes about 15 seconds).

Hank

Thanks for all the info. We'll probably just leave our bags at the hotel, sightsee and then go to the ship. I'm going to try to talk the other people into my party into doing this. This may be the last time I'm ever in Barcelona and want to make the most of it.

Archived