Dress code in Main Dining Room

I guess what all of you are saying about ignoring the sign means anything goes. So you would have no problem with someone dining in cutoffs or shorts that cling to the hips. Casual dining is still dining. I would like to think that I would never go into a fine restaurant in shorts unless I was in Hawaii. Even there, there are some I would wear slacks. I know the OP and everyone else probably looks terrific in their clothes. But someone commented that RCI is not upscale. Maybe it is because of the attitudes of the passengers.

Maybe you are on to something?;)

Anything does go on RCI. It all depends upon who is watching the door. Can you imagine the scene if someone was stopped from entering the MDR in their outfit of choice?:eek:

The dress code is a joke and most pax know it so they ignore it and wear what they would wear to the local diner. RCI decided that they wouldn't enforce their own dress code....so..anything goes.

I say have at it. :D

I guess what all of you are saying about ignoring the sign means anything goes. So you would have no problem with someone dining in cutoffs or shorts that cling to the hips. Casual dining is still dining. I would like to think that I would never go into a fine restaurant in shorts unless I was in Hawaii. Even there, there are some I would wear slacks. I know the OP and everyone else probably looks terrific in their clothes. But someone commented that RCI is not upscale. Maybe it is because of the attitudes of the passengers.

Ditto. We'd never wear super casual clothes to a fine restaurant, even in Hawaii. Shorts? Yes, if they're long, nice ones, but not our every day "casual" ones. In fact, some upscale restaurants in Hawaii have dress codes--and expect customers to follow them. It's simple respect, IMO.

With all the reports lately of how RCI passengers are disregarding the basic dress requests, perhaps certain RCI loyalists would be well advised to stop talking about how NCL and Carnival draw in "low class" (or "white trash" or other derogative) passengers because of their casual dining atmosphere and dress requirements/requests. We've never thought RCI was an "upscale" cruise line; they are a good quality mass market line. But the atmosphere has always been classy overall and certainly elegant at formal night in the MDR and around most indoor venues on the ships.

beachchick

Ditto. We'd never wear super casual clothes to a fine restaurant, even in Hawaii. Shorts? Yes, if they're long, nice ones, but not our every day "casual" ones. In fact, some upscale restaurants in Hawaii have dress codes--and expect customers to follow them. It's simple respect, IMO.

With all the reports lately of how RCI passengers are disregarding the basic dress requests, perhaps certain RCI loyalists would be well advised to stop talking about how NCL and Carnival draw in "low class" (or "white trash" or other derogative) passengers because of their casual dining atmosphere and dress requirements/requests. We've never thought RCI was an "upscale" cruise line; they are a good quality mass market line. But the atmosphere has always been classy overall and certainly elegant at formal night in the MDR and around most indoor venues on the ships.

beachchick

You are correct. "Used to be" is the correct phrase. And many pax who have sailed other lines are now sailing RCI and are bringing their own dress codes with them.

RCI is mass market..nothing more. I'm not sure why RCI seems to have held themselves above Carnival and NCL. They are all one in the same.

Most pax still dress for the MDR...but more and more are being seated in outfits that don't even rate a "casual" on the scale.:eek: But RCI allows it...so why not?

It doesn't bother me to see how people dress in the MDR...we do spend most of our time in the specialties. Pax still dress appropriately there...the MDR has become what RCI has allowed it to become. It is no more than a glorified cafeteria.

Most pax still dress for the MDR...but more and more are being seated in outfits that don't even rate a "casual" on the scale.:eek: But RCI allows it...so why not?

It doesn't bother me to see how people dress in the MDR...we do spend most of our time in the specialties. Pax still dress appropriately there...the MDR has become what RCI has allowed it to become. It is no more than a glorified cafeteria.

I wouldn't say it's a glorified cafeteria, because most of the passengers, as you say above, dress very nicely for the MDR. There are always a minority who choose not to, but I don't think it affects the MDR in general. It's mostly when people are around the public areas outside the MDR, and while walking in and out that we even notice it. But, it does detract from the "nice restaurant" feel.

To the OP: wear what you want, and if you are interested in what most people wear, they don't wear shorts or jeans. But, wear them if it pleases you and suits your needs. Just be prepared that on some ships they are stricter about the shorts, and unless they are lower than mid-thigh, you might be asked to change or eat in the Windjammer. Just be prepared.

OP can correct me if I am wrong but I think the sort of shorts she is talking about is this style

fashion-shorts.jpgbusiness-shorts.jpg

Surprised that there would be a low opinion of standards on NCL.

They have a dress code and enforce it in the MDR and elsewhere.

No jeans or shorts in restaurants during the evening (except the buffet).

The freestyle approach relates to the timing where everyone is on MyTime style dining. Evenings are smart/casual through to formal most nights.

But then I can only comment on European cruising so far.

I have only travelled with NCL so far (sailing on the Independence later this year) but on the Alaska cruise most people did make an effort in the MDR. The Sun has two dining rooms one which allows jeans and one that doesn't. There were not many jeans in the casual dining room (I wore jeans a couple of nights and was in the minority). I think maybe the itinerary makes a difference.

There was one guy who wore a shirt and tie with grey sweatpants and white trainers in the steakhouse. That was a very interesting choice but he did look smart when he sat down!

My BFF just returned from a Carnival Cruise and he forgot his kahki pants. He had his suit for formal night, but did not have his long pants for dinner. He wore shorts in the MDR every night. I hate to say that I would have been slightly embarassed by it. I understand that he didn't have a choice but I would have bought DH a pair of pants at our first port.

Surprised that there would be a low opinion of standards on NCL.

They have a dress code and enforce it in the MDR and elsewhere.

No jeans or shorts in restaurants during the evening (except the buffet).

The freestyle approach relates to the timing where everyone is on MyTime style dining. Evenings are smart/casual through to formal most nights.

I will agree. I have only taken one cruise on NCL but it was the only cruise I have taken were I saw someone get turned away from the dining room for having jeans on.

As they say in the Budlight commercial "Here we go".

Real men of genius.....

We salute you, Mr. Cruise Ship Dress Code Question Asker!.....

:D

See my blog for my recent "Dining" observations. I say shorts are great for women, but unless you men shave your legs put a pair of pants on and some socks. Sheesh. =)

I will agree. I have only taken one cruise on NCL but it was the only cruise I have taken were I saw someone get turned away from the dining room for having jeans on.

It must have gotten more strict or they had on really bad jeans since I was last on NCL. I forgot my dress pants & wore my jeans to dinner every night in the dining room and never a word was said.

Archived