Ship Watching

JBert

Since my wife and I are flying down to MIA a day early, I thought it would be cool to watch the Saturday departures leave from the shore.

Does anyone know what the area is on the north side of the channel that the ships leave from? I noticed that it has a nice park area and the jetty - is that considered South Beach? I had a picture of it somewhere, and now its gone!

Southpointe Park is great! If you click on my blog, there is a great shot of a ship leaving through Government Cut taken at the park.

Even better, sit outside at Smith & Wollensky and have a cocktail while you watch the ships leave. It has the incredible views.

http://www.smithandwollensky.com/locations/miami_beach_bar_2.htm

Found the photo for you! http://criticalmiami.com/2006/09/15/SouthPointePark

Thanks gang - you're all great! That's exactly what I was looking for!

If I remember correctly, they sail around 5pm? It's crazy how much one can forget in the course of a year!

Yes, the first starts at about 5 but I was down there last month at 3 and it took me over an hour of circling the lot to wait for a parking space to clear.

Not a problem for us, we're going to just take a taxi around.:D

Monty's South Beach Raw Bar

'nuf said

The view isn't quite as good as Smith & Wollensky but the drinks will be cheaper and the difference in the view is kind of like the difference between seeing the Empire State Building directly in front of you and from two blocks away. The ships are so friggin' huge, it's not a biggie.

I'd save my money and go to Montys.

Capt BJ, have you been to the Mondrian yet?

Get there soon. Less and less ships sailing outta MIA. Many going to Europe and Port Everglades.

Rick and Deirdra

Thanks for the relevant post. :rolleyes:

I showed a few of the links to my wife, and she likes. Any ideas of the pricing at S&W?

Thanks for the relevant post. :rolleyes:

I showed a few of the links to my wife, and she likes. Any ideas of the pricing at S&W?

If you are going to eat, plan on about $100 per person with wine. If you are just going to have a couple of drinks and split an appetizer, it will run you about $100.

If you want to save money, have a couple drinks at Smith & Wollensky and then head over to Puerto Suaga for dinner. It is a Cuban diner.

Archived