water proof/resistant camera

I just got off my first cruise and am now hooked, just booked the Glory for next April, I wish I had a good waterproof camera while in the Cayman Islands, I am looking to pick one up now but am no techy, any suggestions for a decent water proof point and shoot? Looking to spend less than $500

I can't tell you which one to buy, but I can tell you not to waste your money on those disposable cameras :mad:. The pictures we took all suck and we were in less than 7' of water. The cost of the camera(s), plus the hassle of trying to find a business that actually develops disposable cameras, plus the fact that not 1 of 50+ photos taken underwater is worth anything, equals pissed off!

On the plus side, we did get two photos that were in focus: one on the beach and one in a car :rolleyes:.

Orginally, I couldn't justify to myself spending the money to purchase a case for the camera I already have, or purchasing a totally new camera, but giving away $50 has really assisted me in the process :D.

I really liked my canon D10, the camera worked well in water and out.

Also.... just a tip, if it says good to 30 feet. I only take it to 20 feet. I just don't

trust the marketing guys. They tend to push the limit. Plus the water in the

Caribbean is so clear you can get deep fast and not even notice it. ( I'm glad I didn't buy a camera that was only rated to 10 or 20 feet, because you'll want to build in a safety margin )

You do have to be careful with the camera... soak it in freshwater, and dry it well

before opening doors to attach plugs.

I would give the camera a A+ on performance. The only weak spot I've heard about

is a lens error message. Mine did this once or twice after about 6 months of

ownership... and then it went away and never did it again.

1RubyPrincess520.jpg

4RubyPrincess579j.jpg

1RubyPrincess505spotout.jpg

RubyPrincess2010462small.jpg

RubyPrincess2010529small.jpg

Blurry, bumpy ride (sorry for my foot in the shot) LOL I was spinning around and

bobbing up and down. I thought the image stabilization did well considering

I was shooting from a little raft, and moving at high speed.

RubyPrincess20101072small.jpg

I really liked my canon D10, the camera worked well in water and out....

1RubyPrincess520.jpg

4RubyPrincess579j.jpg

1RubyPrincess505spotout.jpg

RubyPrincess2010462small.jpg

RubyPrincess2010529small.jpg

Blurry, bumpy ride (sorry for my foot in the shot) LOL I was spinning around and

bobbing up and down. I thought the image stabilization did well considering

I was shooting from a little raft, and moving at high speed.

RubyPrincess20101072small.jpg

Wow - those pictures are really great! Are those straight from the camera or did you do some tweaking of the images?

Where did you take them?

Wow - those pictures are really great! Are those straight from the camera or did you do some tweaking of the images?

Where did you take them?

Thanks. No tweaking needed... just BRIGHT sunlight and SHALLOW clear water. The photos I posted are straight from the camera. (I think I hit the brighten button on that last fish photo with the blue angelfish....but that was just with the software that came with the camera, nothing fancy like photoShop or anything complicated)

Snorkel Photos are from Princess Cay Bahamas, and Bonaire. River rafting is in Grenada.

You can see all my D10 photos in my scrapbook, if you click on the link in my signature below. We did the Southern Caribbean ten day trip on the Ruby Princess

Note- Some of the photos in the scrapbook are tweaked with extra color (scrapbook company's web site had a simple one touch button to brighten images before printing) the pics didn't need it, but in preparation for printing the book.... the recommend it, because it loses color when you go to print compared to seeing them back-lit on a computer monitor) ;)

i am interested in the sony tx5 but wondering if anyone else bought one. I will be using this camera as my main camera as well as underwater shooting but just wanted some input on it. How it shoots underwater and out of water. thanks.

I just picked up a tx5 after looking at all the name brands underwater cams I think the tx5 takes the best photos have not had it in the H2o yet but will soon. make sure you but the a accidental damage warranty plan its 79.99 for 2 years and covers EVERYTHING just in case the seals fail you never know also if you have to use the warranty don’t tell them you were on a cruise because they have some fine print BS about being out of the u.s.

Ryan

I just picked up a tx5 after looking at all the name brands underwater cams I think the tx5 takes the best photos have not had it in the H2o yet but will soon. make sure you but the a accidental damage warranty plan its 79.99 for 2 years and covers EVERYTHING just in case the seals fail you never know also if you have to use the warranty don’t tell them you were on a cruise because they have some fine print BS about being out of the u.s.

Ryan

That's funny, considering that Sony Corporation is HQed in Tokyo :rolleyes:

Ryan

Could you please post some pictures from this camera. I'd like to see the quality. I am considering getting it for my son. Thanks!

my husband bought me an olympus stylus tough 8000 for christmas, after expressing the fact that it would be nice to have a waterproof digital instead of using the dicapac again for our next cruise. I have tried it out in the bathtub and pools and it works great. It is waterproof t0 33ft. shockproof to 6.6ft, freezeproof to 14 farenheit, crushproof to 220lbs. and dustproof, it also takes amazing pictures and features 3 macro modes plus 2 panoramic picture taking modes. i love it and highly recommend. However if you don;t want to spend a lot of money a dicapac works great as well i used it on my casio exilim last year on our cruise to the bahamas.

We have a fuji finepix: http://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-FinePix-Z33WP-Waterproof-Green/dp/B001QENO6Q/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1272323807&sr=1-8

Works really well. Love not having to worry about it getting wet. Still learning how to use it underwater though.

DSCF0299.jpg

Hi

I just got one of these for Mother's Day :) Do you have any tips or any comments on this camera? I still have yet to put it in water. Do I just go for it and get it wet?

Is there a panoramic feature on it that I am not finding?

Also, when I use it in salt water do I need to soak it afterwards and, if so, for how long and what temp of water?

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
Hi

I still have yet to put it in water. Do I just go for it and get it wet?

Is there a panoramic feature on it that I am not finding?

Also, when I use it in salt water do I need to soak it afterwards and, if so, for how

long and what temp of water?

Thanks!

First thing I did was drop mine into a bowl of water in the kitchen just to see if it

really worked underwater :D

I don't know about a panoramic feature... but I just took two photos and put them

next to each other on opposite pages of my scrape book. So I guess I went old

school when it came to my panoramic shots.. :rolleyes:

I soaked mine in the sink while on the ship. best to let it soak for 30 minutes. But I

don't know if there is an actual amount of time that works best. Also I soaked it

after going in a pool where I noticed strong chlorine.

The biggest tip I can give you, is to use it a few times in a pool before you go. Get

use to playing with the buttons and trying to balance yourself, and swimming while

holding a camera. I went out and bought the expensive neck strap (you had to buy

the entire accessory pack)... but I couldn't swim fast with the camera strapped to

my wrist. So I loved the neck strap. And it is funny, trying to balance yourself when

the water is moving, you are moving and the fish are moving. It helps to get some

pool time in first.

AnaSwim-bubblessmall.jpg

AnaSwim-smilecomingatussmile.jpg

I am seriously considering the Canon D10 ( I love their DSLR's!!!), but then Pentax released the W90.

The Optio W90 is does not go as deep as the Canon D10 (20' instead of 33') but has some better features such as a better optical zoom (5x) as well as a neat microscope mode and it seems to be a MUCH smaller in form factor than the D10.

Don't think I would go wrong with either one... but at least for me I got it narrowed down to 2 :D

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1002/10022411pentaxoptiow90.asp

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0902/09021805canond10.asp

I have a Canon D10 and I love it.

I did a search on here when I was looking for an underwater camera point and shoot.

I ended up with the Canon D10 as well. The reviews were wonderful and you can find them online for cheaper than the stores.

I haven't got to test it underwater yet, but on land...it does a pretty good job (and I'm normally an slr girl).

I was wondering if anyone has used one of the new Fuji finepix xp10 and how it compares to the z33wp.

I just bought the XP10 a couple days ago. Haven't used it yet cause the ocean water is just a tad bit chilly right now lol. I suppose i could take regular land photos for now. I figure 2 more weeks at the longest and i'll be able to get some underwater ocean shots.

Archived