Canceled spirit cruise 1/15/10

Lauraall

Got an email our cruise Jan 15 2011 is canceled. We were offered same fare on a new 8 or 9 day itinerary. It seems they are no longer offering a acapulco option past Nov 28th. New 8 or 9 day are more typical Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, La Paz, two days in Cabo. Anyway know why they cancelled that intinerary? I am somewhat disapointed as I have been to those spots but if its not safe then so be it. Just wish I had more info.

This was on our local news last night. I'm guessing the 1st reason is the cost to go that far, and 2nd some occassional unsafe conditions.

Our Mariner cruise was canceled due to RCI financial reasons. I guess the industry isn't making enough money on the West coast.

Pat

I doubt if it is because of safety! There's less crime in those canceled Mexican ports than in the ones further north.

I doubt if we'll ever know the whole reason for all the changes--oil prices? more interest in those ports?? who knows?

My same cruise on 2/24/11 was also canceled. I talked to Carnival and their answer for cancellation was, "we have the right to cancel or change an itinerary." I even asked if it was because of the problems in Acapulco and they wouldn't say. They just said they have changed the itinerary for the Spirit. The new itinerary is a 9 day Mexican Riviera cruise which has 2 days in Cabo San Lucas, 1 day in La Paz, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta. I have rebooked with Carnival and choosen this itinerary for the locked in price I had with my original 2/24/11 booking. Carnival was very helpfull and easy to deal with. So I now have an extra day cruising and am out no more money. Can't bet that!

We were booked on the same cruise and it was cancelled. Called our Carnival agent, and she had no idea why it was cancelled. We had booked 3 rooms. Did have to change all of our rooms to the other side of the ship. I just noticed in my confirmation email, that we are being charged $30.00 more for one of the rooms. Still waiting for my carnival agent to call back - I don't think I should have to pay any extra money. Maybe, the way things are going in Acapulco - it is better that the itinerary has been changed. I love the fact that we get to spend more time in Cabo!

Acapulco is nice but I would trade it for two days in Cabo. That would give me another opportunity to eat at Solomon's Landing and go on two different excursions. I haven't cruised Carnival in a very long time but that is kind of an enticing itinerary

I posted some information on this last night, but it was removed - from a separate thread (I hadn't seen this particular discussion before then and it might have been deemed to be repetitive). From what I understand, Carnival saves $50,000 per cruise by eliminating both Zihuatanejo and Acapulco. That's big money. I wonder if the price of the cruises will be reduced to reflect the savings. :-). Security "issues" crop up all of the time and I suspect the change is probably more connected to financial savings than security concerns. Two days in Cabo? Might be a bit much. La Paz? In the Winter months there might be some interesting whale watching expeditions offered but I don't know if there's much else. Though, there's not a whole lot to do in Zihuatanejo and the ships made a call there.

2 days in Cabo? Over more authentic Mexican cities to the south not for me. This is certainly just a cost cutting move and will hurt Carnival more in the long run. And your right lauraall the weather is superior further south this is not a good move Carnival.

We welcome the change -- but wish they would really mix it up by still offering the 8 day with the new 9 day on some kind of rotating basis -- We love the Spirit, but the same three ports get a little boring. We don't care for Acapulco or Manzanillo -- an 8 day cruise with only one port you really like wasn't very practical.

Archived