Michele (cruisinmama), I need your help...

njmomof2

I need to find either a picture or written information regarding NCL's policy for swim diapers in the pools other than the kids splash zones.

I have friends cruising on the Jewel in July and even though she keeps telling her husband that their almost 2 yo cannot go in the regular pool with a swim diaper, he's got himself all worked up saying they hold everything in (which we know they don't), no one is going to kick him out (which they very well may), nothing is going to happen (which many have experienced first hand to be false).

Anyway, I need to give her something in black and white (or color for a picture) so that he'll understand in no uncertain terms that this is not going to happen. So of course, I thought of you, since you are the queen of all things related to kids on ships.

Do you have anything or can you post a link for me? I'm going to keep looking in the interim.

Hope all is well with you and yours.

Thought, I'd post since I was here :D

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/cruiser/cmsPages.html?pageId=FAQ

Jump to pool regulations... it's written in no uncertain terms:

Are there any pool regulations?

According to United States Public Health (U.S.P.H.) regulations, no diapers of any kind are permitted in the swimming pools or jacuzzis, including those marketed as "swimmers."

Your friend's husband sounds quite tiresome, and the type that won't believe you, no matter what you tell him, but here's more information:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1168932

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1173056&highlight=diapers+ncl

A CC member's experience with this issue:

I know this was about swim diapers in kiddie pools. I want to share what happened on our recent NCL Spirit cruise. First, to answer the question, there are no swim diapers allowed in the pools, kiddie and adult, on the NCL Spirit. We saw some be told that it was not allowed at the back Kid pool area when we were on-board.

We recently got back from the NCL Spirit and the main pool had to be closed one afternoon in port. We got to the pool for a swim since it was pretty hot in Bermuda. The net was covering the pool.

The NCL staff told my mother, who was by the pool, that a child who was potty trained, went the bathroom in the pool. Lets just say it was also quite obvious!

Since we were in port, the water could not be emptied without first balancing the chemicals. There are rules about "draining" and dumping pool water when it port. This took a couple hours.

The Bermuda cruise on the Spirit has us in port for 3+ days. If this could not have been corrected, there would be no pool to use the whole time in port. This would have been a major problem for many of the passengers who like to enjoy a nice swim.

I know accidents happen, for kids and adults. My point is to be really sure that everything is A.O.K before going into a pool. There could be 2000 +passengers and some staff very unhappy.

Even our own - very small - condo pool doesn't allow swimmies. So, when DD and family visited last summer, the 2 1/2 year old potty-trained DGD was allowed to go into the pool, but I had the pleasure of playing with and strolling the 6 month old around the pool!

Your friend's husband sounds like someone I wouldn't even want to sit next to in a restaurant! I'm sure this Entitled Dad will be thrilled when the pool he chooses to use and break the rules is shut down for cleaning for a few days and no one would be able to use it...including him! We lost the use of the adult-only pool on the HAL Zaandam for three days because some other Entitled Dad decided it was OK to swim with his 6-month old. HAL staff had advised him not to do this before he did it, and pointed to posted signs. It's kind of a long story with some language problems, but it did happen.

One little "accident" does affect everyone when it comes to use of a pool. I do remember when my daughter was taking swimming lessons at the community college and one day we showed up and was told all the classes for the rest of the day were canceled due to an accident. (Parents are told in the rules sheet given at registration that they are to take the kids to the restroom in the locker rooms prior to every class to avoid such an occurrence) Because the pool had to be shocked, the kids were out a lesson (and with some of us, we ended up making a special trip to the college when the call came after we had left) and the school had to give credits to each student.

Maybe that dad should look into getting a small inflatable pool to take along if he wants his kid to have a "swim."

Janet - I will be ON the Jewel on May 8th :D so I will get that color picture just for you! ;) I have a ship tour scheduled (yeayyy!) So as soon as I get back, I will be sure to come back here and post the proof you need.

If there is anything else you need from that ship -- let me know. I haven't sailed NCL in years so when this opportunity presented itself I jumped at the chance to jump onboard.

I intend to take lots and lots of pictures. :D

Janet - I will be ON the Jewel on May 8th :D so I will get that color picture just for you! ;) I have a ship tour scheduled (yeayyy!) So as soon as I get back, I will be sure to come back here and post the proof you need.

If there is anything else you need from that ship -- let me know. I haven't sailed NCL in years so when this opportunity presented itself I jumped at the chance to jump onboard.

I intend to take lots and lots of pictures. :D

I saw from your signature that you were going on it for lunch. Are you attending a TA function or something else? I was hoping that if it was a TA thing, I could wrangle an invite and meet you in person but we haven't heard anything about it.

Yes, if you can, snap a pic of the sign and send it over to me. You can use my email at janetsnj @ verizon . net.

Thanks Michele.

Thank you all for your responses. I did some searching around and found the text that states swim diapers are not allowed per US Health regulations and sent it to my friend to forward to her husband.

He's a nice guy, but I think sometimes forgets that when you have little kids (they are almost 5 and almost 2) most times you have to forgo your own pleasures to be sure the littlies are happy. Heck, when my kids were that age, we didn't go anywhere (and mine are not that old now).

This is a birthday cruise for him and at first he was planning something that just wouldn't have worked with the kids. When his wife (my friend) said something about it, his response was something like "well, it's my birthday and this is what I want to do." I'm sorry, but are you turning 40 or turning 4?

Anyway, she's a sensible, intelligent woman and I know her well enough that she will not allow it. She realizes that if he wants to go in the pool, he'll take their daughter and she will take the little one and go off somewhere else. Of course, she also reminded him of the splash area where he is allowed so hopefully that will work out as well. And the Nickelodeon characters will be on their ship so I'm sure that will be a great distraction as well.

I just love those that say that the rules are not really for them. I just hope that it doesn't take a closed pool incident to make him fully understand.

Thanks all.

Question for anyone out there:

Does the NCL Jewel "Splash Zone" even allow babies in swimmies?? I've heard that only Disney and the RCI Freedom class ships and Oasis/Allure allow this. TIA.

Nope, there isn't suppose to be any baby splash zone at all in the NCL fleet. Good catch Imsulin.

Janet -- do you think there is one? NCL has never promoted one. I can find out for you on May 8th. ;) But I think your friends are going to be disappointed if they are expecting any kind of water play area for that baby on Jewel.

You know, I don't know. She mentioned it the other day in my office and I've never been on the ship so I don't know for sure but they had been researching this cruise for a while before they booked.

If you can when you go, let me know what you find out. I'll see what I can find on this end as well.

Janet, NCL is like Carnival. They have a small baby pool area. But then they stick a sign next to it that says "Please, no non-potty trained children wearing diapers in these pools"

I know they do have childrens pools. And I know parents put babies in them. But its one of those things that they arent officially allowed. Does that make sense?

So please warn your friends -- and I will double check for you (in person). But I am pretty positive with this one. We talk about it enough around here. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm baaack! LOL!

Well....tell your friend to pack an inflatable. The baby can't go in ANY pool on NCL Jewel including the cute little "baby" looking paddling pool. Pat and I (PatSea) broke away from the ship tour just to track down the answers for you on this one...lol. We went to the Kids Crew counselors and asked. They said Nope, no diapers in any pools.

So then we went to find the pools with signs to get the pictures. So here is your proof.

This is the children's pool called the "Paddling Pool" -- it is on the pool deck next to the Saphire Pool -- it is under a roof. The silver sign below that says "Paddling Pool" were the rules posted at this little children's slide pool. The other sign that just says "Pool Instructions" were posted at the Saphire Pool.

086.jpg

088.jpg

074.jpg

075.jpg

034.jpg

022.jpg

Thanks sweetie. I so appreciate this. I'll tell her and show her the pictures.

I think she'll end up taking her little one with her when her daughter wants to go in the pool so that he doesn't get too upset about the water issue.

It will be interesting to hear her first hand account of what actually goes on when she's sailing. I'm sure that there will be plenty of parents who don't follow the rules and put their little ones in. Guess we'll wait and see how enforcement is.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of parents who don't follow the rules and put their little ones in. Guess we'll wait and see how enforcement is.

I would add one more word in your sentence....parents who don't follow the rules and "TRY" to put their little ones in. I have witnessed this many many times and it always results in an ugly pool side arguement between a parent and pool staff. Usually the parent screaming about all the money they paid and the pool attendant calling on the hand held to get back up. Not exactly my idea of a fun vacation by witnessing the drama. My suggestion to anyone deciding what to do..... Buy a 5 dollar blow up duck at Target, set it by the pool and be happy.

I would add one more word in your sentence....parents who don't follow the rules and "TRY" to put their little ones in. I have witnessed this many many times and it always results in an ugly pool side arguement between a parent and pool staff. Usually the parent screaming about all the money they paid and the pool attendant calling on the hand held to get back up. Not exactly my idea of a fun vacation by witnessing the drama. My suggestion to anyone deciding what to do..... Buy a 5 dollar blow up duck at Target, set it by the pool and be happy.

Rolloman, certainly not suggesting that they do it and hope that they don't get caught. I completely agree with you about the reaction at the pool and the comments about how much they paid. We've spent enough time at Disney to witness these kinds of events (and it's not always yelling at a cast member, it's parents yelling at poor, exhausted little kids who are crying and don't want to hug a character that they spent thousands on this trip and the kid better take a picture with Goofy).

Luckily, my friend is travelling with her BIL and SIL, and they have a not quite 2 yo as well. So they will end up covering for each other at different times. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. I do thank you for your comments. And I'm very much looking forward to your review of the Epic's water area. When are you cruising on her?

Rolloman, certainly not suggesting that they do it and hope that they don't get caught. I completely agree with you about the reaction at the pool and the comments about how much they paid. We've spent enough time at Disney to witness these kinds of events (and it's not always yelling at a cast member, it's parents yelling at poor, exhausted little kids who are crying and don't want to hug a character that they spent thousands on this trip and the kid better take a picture with Goofy).

Luckily, my friend is travelling with her BIL and SIL, and they have a not quite 2 yo as well. So they will end up covering for each other at different times. I'm sure it will all work out in the end. I do thank you for your comments. And I'm very much looking forward to your review of the Epic's water area. When are you cruising on her?

I hope they have a good time, I am sure there will plenty of things to occupy their time. My little one is getting ready to turn 2, so we are excited about her qualifying for a kids club finally on her 7th cruise. We are on the July 24th sailing. From what I have read they are going all out with the nickelodean and other kids events. I hope to report back soon with good info, a good friend I met from CC is taking the TA over on its 1st voyage end of June and she will fill me in on all the details!!

Archived