Ketchikan-Misty fjord excursion

heatherandjohn

Have any of you done the glacier and misty fjords flightseeing with Island Wings? We are currently booked just for Misty Fjords with her, but this would be our only chance to see the glacier from the air. We can't do this and a helicopter ride. Is it worth it? Thanks.

Hi we used Sea Wind - a husband/wife team. We used Temsco for the helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier.

What glacier are you talking about? If I had to choose between the two now that we did both (and a canoe ride to another glacier in Haines) I would choose the helicopter. Landing on Mendenhall was amazing!

We are going to Alaska in June and I have booked a Misty Fjords & glacier landing with Sea Wind Aviation. Their cost is $229.00 for 1-1/2 hours but if you book before Jan. 15, 2011 it is only $199.00ea. They also have voice activated headsets to communicate with the pilot and each other along with your ground transportation which is included in the cost. They were very nice when I called and I read some reviews and they were good.

How are they "glacier landing" in a float plane???? Are they changing their floats to skis?? (wouldn't think so, since, they only have a floatplane dock??)

Just looking at their tour description- this poster is in error. They are not glacier landing, but, lake landing, which is standard with any Misty Fiord flight.

I sent Michelle with Island Wings back an e-mail today. I decided to bite the bullet and do her 2 hour Misty Fjord Flight Tour. As they say....you only live once!:D

She said that my weight should not be a factor. As long as she plans in advance, she can make sure she fills the plane and stays within the 1200 lb total weight limit. If for some reason she cannot, I may have to pay extra, but she said she does not foresee a problem.

How are they "glacier landing" in a float plane???? Are they changing their floats to skis?? (wouldn't think so, since, they only have a floatplane dock??)

Just looking at their tour description- this poster is in error. They are not glacier landing, but, lake landing, which is standard with any Misty Fiord flight.

Right you do not land on a glacier which is why I was confused because the two are very different ie. heli to glacier and seaplane or floatplane. Our floatplane landed on land so we could get out and walk around.

In Ketcikan we took a Misty Fjords float plane excursion that we arranged through Taquan air. The landscape was grassy fjords and waterways going back through the snow topped mountains. Just gorgeous. We landed in a lake back in the wilderness and walked out on the floats. I am an avid photographer and took many photos from the plane. (Since photos are through glass, you will get reflections in your photos unless you are very careful!) Photos here:

This is what the island wings web site says and I am wondering if it is worth the extra money. The Glacier Fiords tour is an extension to our regular Misty Fiords tour. The flight portion is an additional 30 to 40 minutes, as we continue past the saltwater fjords up a lush river valley to the hanging glaciers that remain from the last glacial age. Adjacent to the Canadian border, we will fly over the face of a glacier and on up a river of ice onto a massive icefield. Deep blue crevasses and large overhanging cornices dominate the area. From this vantage point, one can easily see the forces that created the Misty Fjords and how the ice continues to sculpt the land. This 2.5 hour tour will also include the same shore stop excursion as described in the Misty Fiords tour. Occasionally due to lower cloud heights, the glaciers are not visible, in that event we would only fly the Misty Fiords portion of the trip and the price would be charged accordingly.

In Ketcikan we took a Misty Fjords float plane excursion that we arranged through Taquan air. The landscape was grassy fjords and waterways going back through the snow topped mountains. Just gorgeous. We landed in a lake back in the wilderness and walked out on the floats. I am an avid photographer and took many photos from the plane. (Since photos are through glass, you will get reflections in your photos unless you are very careful!) Photos here:

For clarification, there is only snow here in May, beg of June. Otherwise the area is all green. Taquan, is a big operator, and ship contractor. Many of the small vendors, allow you off the planes in the fiords, which is always superior to just getting out on the pontoons.

This is what the island wings web site says and I am wondering if it is worth the extra money. The Glacier Fiords tour is an extension to our regular Misty Fiords tour. The flight portion is an additional 30 to 40 minutes, as we continue past the saltwater fjords up a lush river valley to the hanging glaciers that remain from the last glacial age. Adjacent to the Canadian border, we will fly over the face of a glacier and on up a river of ice onto a massive icefield. Deep blue crevasses and large overhanging cornices dominate the area. From this vantage point, one can easily see the forces that created the Misty Fjords and how the ice continues to sculpt the land. This 2.5 hour tour will also include the same shore stop excursion as described in the Misty Fiords tour. Occasionally due to lower cloud heights, the glaciers are not visible, in that event we would only fly the Misty Fiords portion of the trip and the price would be charged accordingly.

For me, I can fly for hours, and do. Flightseeing, is always in my plans when I travel Alaska. Only you can decide it's "worth". But, for me, glacier flightseeing, is no comparism to a glacier helicopter landing, or glacier hiking which is grossly superior- for glaciers.

• 4 months later...

Archived