Ketchikan-Misty fjord excursion

heatherandjohn

We also flew with Island Wings last week. Other members of our party took the boat ride through Misty Fjords. That evening when they saw our photos they were seriously jealous. The flight over Misty Fjords was the highlight of our trip.

Due to the reccomndations on this board, I just book the 4 of us on Island wings to see Misty Fjord. Will post a few pics when we get back.;)

You're going to love it. Flying was not an option for us, so we took the boat tour. I loved it, but was still jealous of the folks in the planes. For others, the boat is a great alternative if you can't flightsee for whatever reason.

That is truly an amazing picture. We have our cruise booked for September 2011 and want to book Michelle of Island Wings for our float plane tour.

The only drawback seems to be that the ship will only be in Ketchikan from 7am to 12.30pm and although we have plenty of time for the float plane there will be little time for a look around the town.

Has any one else had this problem and how did you handle it? Did you shorten the plane tour or just not worry about looking around Ketchikan. I should add that we might not get another chance to get back to Alaska.

Cheers

rplusr

We had a short port time, a little longer than yours. But we were up and ready to go as soon as the ship docked and were ready to disembark. Stores were opening up. That's when we did our walking around and taking pictures. Then meet Shona from Island Wings and she took us to the dock. Michelle's plane was docked right next to our ship. Michelle was awesome. Our tour was 10 to 12. Maybe booking that early, she might change her times that day so she could accomadate you. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

My photojournal from a flight with Michelle a few days ago is posted at http://explorenorth.com/wordpress/?p=304 - there really are no words to properly describe how incredible it was. Pricey and worth every nickel. There are cheaper operators but the lake landing is nowhere near as good (the comparison is described in the photojournal).

There are several areas that can be "landed". I actually had a new landing place, for me, my last trip, that was spectacular with a water falls and stream. I now do this flightseeing, EVERY trip. :) It's got to be over a dozen times I've flown it, and it's always spectacular!!!

I am traveling in a few weeks and called Island Wings tonight. They are all booked up for my day in Ketchikan:( Can anyone recommend the next best carrier from experience? Just waited too long!

I highly recommend Southeast Aviation.

I say the floatplane is a must do. We did it last week and it was amazing. We went with Promech Air. We booked through the ship because we like the security of the cancellation policy. We loved that they took us on the ride without trying to sell us photos or anything else. I will do it again on my next trip to Alaska.

How many passengers were onboard the Promech Air floatplane? Were you able to get out when you landed on the lake? How long did you spend there?

We have booked the floatplane trip through the ship. They use Promech Air. I have been reading about how wonderful Michelle is with Island Wings and it sounds like a better trip. I am considering booking with her and canceling the other. Any advice?

We have booked the floatplane trip through the ship. They use Promech Air. I have been reading about how wonderful Michelle is with Island Wings and it sounds like a better trip. I am considering booking with her and canceling the other. Any advice?

Not sure what "advice" you are looking for?? IF you want to change, then do so. But, you are going to have to see, FIRST if there is any space left.

I can not tell you personally about Island Wings except for problems we had with communicating with them trying to book in the spring, but my husband and I flew with Dave and Family Air on June 8th of this year. We had a wonderful flight. Dave didn't just narrate our trip, he took time to find out our interests in flying Misty Fjord as well as a bit about why he loves doing these flights and about the area. We were promplty picked up near our HAL cruise ship, checked in, and took off for the full 2 hour flight. It was quite "misty" in Misty Fjord, so my scenery pictures are a little bit clouder than I would like, but the pictures in my mind are beatuiful. Dave learned that we loved waterfalls, and there was no shortage of them. He flew by several that were really incredible, and his sharp eyes spotted a bear with 2 cubs. He did a water landing there, and I was able to get some great shots of the bears. He does try to do a "land" stop, but we traded that for these great memories and pictures of being sort of close to the

bears. After we were again airborn, he spotted yet another bear-this time a blonde bear. We did not land this time, but got some great airiel views of this bear. Dave's plane is smaller than most of the others that fly in Misty Fjord. Even though we had not booked a "personal" flight with him, the only passengers on our flight were my husband and myself. We had not booked a "bear" sighting flight, but gotten that as a bonus on our flight. We would fly with Dave and Family Air again without hesitation. I hope this helps a little.

• 2 weeks later...

This is unreal! Better than postcard perfect! What a beautiful day you folks had.. We are going with Michelle later this month and are looking forward to it. Thanks for sharing your pictures!

Absolutely gorgeous photos! Thanks for sharing. We did our floatplane tour 7/9 and I haven't had time to check out my photos. Hope they came out as well as yours. We didn't land where we could get out of the plane for photos as Steve sighted a grizzly bear and he landed on the water in front of the bear! Quite a site though.

Mary

How many passengers were onboard the Promech Air floatplane? Were you able to get out when you landed on the lake? How long did you spend there?

We just did the same one-I think there were 6-7 passengers on our plane. It was breathtaking, and we had a little rain the day we were there. After seeing the mountains from the ground for a week, it was so cool to be above them for a different point of view. We also booked through RCI & it wasn't cheap, but my husband said that it was some of the best money we've ever spent!

• 2 weeks later...

A friend recommended this forum and I'm SO glad he did!!

My husband and I are scheduled for the August 29 sailing to Alaska. I've been reading this thread for a few days and appreciate your recommendations. I have been fortunate to book a floatplane excursion with Island Wings/Michelle. We're VERY excited!! Sounds like she's the one that most people recommend.

Thanks!!

I took a flightseeing tour to Misty Fjords in May with Taquan Air. It was awesome. We actually landed on the lake which I found to be a very unique experience. We then stepped out onto the pontoon. I think we were probably there about 10-20 minutes, enjoying the experience and taking photos, etc. I have my photos, etc. posted in the travel section of RealESO dot com for those interested. It was a GREAT experience! :)

My two cents for what it's worth is Misty Fjord from the air and the landing we had on the water was the most beautiful scenery I saw on my trip to Alaska....the sheer size and depth was incredible. I loved the glaciers, but WOW....what an amazing place. We used Island Wings and Michelle ,as so many others have stated, was the best pilot. I would love to see them from a boat also so I might do that next time. You can't go wrong though when Mother Nature has it so right. Have a great trip.

Ditto on the flightseeing. One of the best excursions we've ever done.

Viv

I can not tell you personally about Island Wings except for problems we had with communicating with them trying to book in the spring, but my husband and I flew with Dave and Family Air on June 8th of this year. We had a wonderful flight. Dave didn't just narrate our trip, he took time to find out our interests in flying Misty Fjord as well as a bit about why he loves doing these flights and about the area. We were promplty picked up near our HAL cruise ship, checked in, and took off for the full 2 hour flight. It was quite "misty" in Misty Fjord, so my scenery pictures are a little bit clouder than I would like, but the pictures in my mind are beatuiful. Dave learned that we loved waterfalls, and there was no shortage of them. He flew by several that were really incredible, and his sharp eyes spotted a bear with 2 cubs. He did a water landing there, and I was able to get some great shots of the bears. He does try to do a "land" stop, but we traded that for these great memories and pictures of being sort of close to the

bears. After we were again airborn, he spotted yet another bear-this time a blonde bear. We did not land this time, but got some great airiel views of this bear. Dave's plane is smaller than most of the others that fly in Misty Fjord. Even though we had not booked a "personal" flight with him, the only passengers on our flight were my husband and myself. We had not booked a "bear" sighting flight, but gotten that as a bonus on our flight. We would fly with Dave and Family Air again without hesitation. I hope this helps a little.

I agree 100%. We flew with Dave 2 weeks ago and it was fantastic. Coincidentally (?) we also tried to contact Island Wings first, but they never returned our calls or emails. We went with First Air and I'm so glad we did. First Air will be our First Choice on our next trip to Alaska.

Archived