Live From Dream 1st impressions.

Hi all,

I've just had a look at the cruitical reviews before writing this.

Day 2 Sea Day

Our flight from Manchester was on time and we were off the coach on arriving in port after about a 10 minute wait while the coach before us finished unloading.

Once aboard we were shown to cabin, deck 6 forward port side. DW's case was there before us and mine arrived shortly after.

Beautiful cabin. plenty of room and wardrobe space, the main critisism of it is it's open plan so only 2 drawers. Double bed is approx 5 foot 6.

Bathroom has proper bath, though short, with 2 showerheads. And no passionate shower curtain.

The water in the bathroom is clean and hot. Aircon is fine.

Some of the aircon in the public rooms made it a bit too cool so some people complained and they turned it up. Too warm for me inside them now.

We left poert late due to delayed flights from other firms, all Thomson's passengers aboard.

when we left port we were in the Delo Bar at rear of ship, and no big vibration from engine.. First sign we had of leaving port was the harbour lights sliding by.

Main critisisms.

The food in the buffet restaurant Andromeda is Ok but needs to be warmer.

The complaints about queues is because of the design of it.

Unlike other ships where both sides of restaurant are the same and you meeet in the middle, this one is sort of horseshoe shaped.

So on 1 side all the savoury food is served, cold and salad 1st then hot.

So everyone has to queue in one line.

On the other leg of the horseshoe the space is 3/4 taken up by seating and tables and then a small area for desserts.

We dined last night in the waiter service restaurant on 4.

Beautiful food, looks like nouvelle quisine tho' so small portins.

We had lunch today up in Sirens buffet on 11 lovely and hot food.Lots of new staff on board and I don't think full compliment yet.

You can tell the difference between the proper staff, those imported from other ships and the new ones. It'll take a bit to knock the rough edges off.

Thew also have a problem with the drinks part, instead of having the T bags at start, it goes cup, hot water, milk then pick up T bag.

So you can tell the difference between regular cruisers who pick up the bag 1st then nip round for the cup and rest.

The carpet in the Ocean Bar stank of old damp last night, like they'd had a flood and let it dry out. But it smells better today.

Just to say I had a peep in cabins on deck 5 outside and they look same as ours. And inside ones opposite us look OK too.

They are still doing paint jobs on the outside and painting the deck on 12 where thse sliding roof is for the pool and it smelt of paint round pool.

Also on the damaged area, you can see lots of small dents in hull

just above waterline in front on the starboard side, but loads of bigger ones too at the stern end of that side. Looked quite frightening.

Apart from food in buffet a nd aircon, listening to comments people on the whole are very pleased with her, especially 1st time cruisers.

A few disappointed though, when they saw Thomson's new ship thats what they thought they were getting. Not a 2nd hand one :D

Lots of quirky bits left over from Costa, like cans of pop with Arabic writing, the lift tells you floor in both Italian and English, and canned music this a.m. in lounge played 1 english song the one Italian every other.

Beautiful decoration throughout though, as you'd expect from an Italian style ship.

Only thing I miss is there is no forward facing lounge, those who've been on Destiny and Escape will know the old RCI's Viking Crown L:ounge.

You can see from the sides out of the lounges and where you've been but not where you are going.

The A.I has only 1 beer and 1 lager on it and 1 from each section, spirits, cocktails, etc. Also prices slightly dearer,

Beer £3.10 pimt, cocktails £3.75, wine £3.50

Typing fast due to time limit, sorry for typos.

Berwyn

Having fun in the sun. :D

i'm really pleased to hear it sounds like its getting on track, i really did hope so as things we really looking up by the time we left yesterday. Also glad Sirens is open as i think that will really help.

HAVE FUN!!!! :D

thanks berwyn maybe a bit of light at end of the tunnel of bad reviews 4 weeks till we sail so hopefully even better by then look forward to your review when you get home thanks again

i'm really pleased to hear it sounds like its getting on track, i really did hope so as things we really looking up by the time we left yesterday. Also glad Sirens is open as i think that will really help.

HAVE FUN!!!! :D

Apologies for mass overuse of the word really!!! :o

Hi all,

Main critisisms.

The food in the buffet restaurant Andromeda is Ok but needs to be warmer.

The complaints about queues is because of the design of it.

Unlike other ships where both sides of restaurant are the same and you meeet in the middle, this one is sort of horseshoe shaped.

So on 1 side all the savoury food is served, cold and salad 1st then hot.

So everyone has to queue in one line.

On the other leg of the horseshoe the space is 3/4 taken up by seating and tables and then a small area for desserts.

BERWYN - PERHAPS YOU COULD SUGGEST TO THEM TO REVIEW HOW THIS OPERATES AND MENTION THE TEMPERATURE AS THAT HAS CROPPED UP IN OTHER REVIEWS

and canned music this a.m. in lounge played 1 english song the one Italian every other.

LIKEWISE WORTH MENTIONING ON THE END OF CRUISE REPORT OR TO THE CRUISE DIRECTOR STEPHEN GUY IF YOU SEE HIM WALKING AROUND

Berwyn

Thanks for the update and for the investigating - I used capitals above to make my comments clearer amongst yours !

Is it plastic plates like the Escape in buffet and in dining room or normal plates as used on Celebration Spirit and Destiny ?

Gareth

Hi Berwyn,

Thanks for the report, glad all is going well.

When you say " The A.I has only 1 beer and 1 lager on it and 1 from each section, spirits, cocktails, etc. " is this right? (spot the alcaholic). i didnt think it would be so restricted.:eek:

Have a great time, look forward to you full report and pics.

I must admit the posts today are a bit more reassuring, but £178 each for a week for such a limited selection of drinks when we'll be on shore most of the day seems rather expensive to say the least! What was the selection of wine like, please? :o

Well done Berwyn-good report.Things are improving!!!:)

Thomsons have too much riding on this ship to let the problems continue-the Volcanic ash did not help- so I've no doubt they will pull out all the stops to get everything as it should be as soon as possible.

Roll on September:D

Dribbler

Thanks Berwyn, you've put a few minds at rest. Have some worries about the drinks package though, do we think the small list is down to supply issues as mentioned by management, or is that how it will stay??

Hi Berwyn,

Knew we could rely on you to be positive and make us feel better. Not sure about the plastic plates/mugs and the AI sounds like the Island Escape which is not good when the AI is more expensive. (could you get a drinks list)

Hopefully all the niggles will get ironed out and improve your holiday, but will wait till you post a fuller review when you are home before weighing things up, Hope you have a fantastic rest of cruise and that your son is feeling much better.

Kind Regards

Jessie

Berwyn

I appreciate you are on holiday and not on a fact finding mission but why is the ship leaving Palma earlier than advertised in brochure at 11.00 pm. last week it was 6.00pm and this week at 8.30 pm. The ship sailed at about 13 knots yesterday according to Mar Traf and then slowed late at night to 10 knots arriving outside VFranche bay at 4.00am - so if it had left Palma at 11.00 pm it had plenty of time to get there. It would be interesting to hear an informed reason from some crew member on the ship.

Thanks

Gareth

i disagree, i was on last weeks cruise and should have been on ship about lunchtime. I have friends in santa ponsa and they had thought they might come thru to palma and pick me up and we could have dinner and i could be back on board well in time for the 11.30 sailaway.

Well we were late, arriving. and i diidnto confirm the meeting but if i had, i could have been sitting in a cafe in palma , or perhaps touring the city as many may have wished to do. Usually you cant see your departure/arrival port, However this time early check in and late sail gave that opportunity.

The cruise news said 11.30 and it seemed a surprise to all that we sailed at just after 6pm

i disagree, i was on last weeks cruise and should have been on ship about lunchtime. I have friends in santa ponsa and they had thought they might come thru to palma and pick me up and we could have dinner and i could be back on board well in time for the 11.30 sailaway.

Well we were late, arriving. and i diidnto confirm the meeting but if i had, i could have been sitting in a cafe in palma , or perhaps touring the city as many may have wished to do. Usually you cant see your departure/arrival port, However this time early check in and late sail gave that opportunity.

The cruise news said 11.30 and it seemed a surprise to all that we sailed at just after 6pm

Leaving early is of no importance. If all the flights have arrived and all the passengers are aboard etc why not? IIIRC the departure time from Palma is not advertised anyway.

The brochure states 11.00 pm and if you have arranged to do something early evening in Palma then how can you do so ? So I have to completely disagree with you - sorry

Archived