flip flops in the MDR

ok so i live in my flip flops almost year round, so being this will be our first cruise freedom of the seas, can i wear my flip flops with a sun dress or pants to the MDR? I will NOT wear them on formal night but can I wear them on the other 5 nights? Thanks in advance!

ok so i live in my flip flops almost year round, so being this will be our first cruise freedom of the seas, can i wear my flip flops with a sun dress or pants to the MDR? I will NOT wear them on formal night but can I wear them on the other 5 nights? Thanks in advance!

Absolutely, be comfortable.

My husband wore his "dress" flip-flops (no such thing, I know, but since they're leather I think he feels entitled!) every night except the two formal nights. Nobody said anything, and to be honest, I didn't even notice until he pointed it out.

Rubber flip-flops (suitable for pools/beaches) are fine for breakfast and lunch. For dinner, a "real" sandal (whether "thong" style or not) is more suitable. A sundress/capris/slacks are fine for all but "formal" nights.

Wear your flip flops. If you actually find someone under the table cloth taking notes on footwear just smack the you know what out of them. :)

Oh, and if someone is offended when you pass by in that twenty second or less walk to your table they need to seriously get a life. :D

Rubber flip-flops (suitable for pools/beaches) are fine for breakfast and lunch. For dinner, a "real" sandal (whether "thong" style or not) is more suitable. A sundress/capris/slacks are fine for all but "formal" nights.

That was sort of what I thought. Flip-flops bring to mind the cheap little plastic and rubber things you wear to the pool. I wouldn't consider those appropriate (though it's no big deal to me, if someone chooses to wear them). But I seem mention of "leather flip flops." To me, that would be sandals...

I think these days "flip flops" is a generic term for any thong sandal and there are a lot of "fancy" ones out there. I agree the plain rubber flip flops aren't appropriate for the DR but I doubt that's what the OP was referring to.

Thanks everyone! I have my cheap old navy flip flops that i wear daily but i do have dressier ones to wear with nicer clothes good to know i wont stand out to much if i wear them to the MDR:), i hate real shoes since i started wearing my flip flops

I wear mine. I doubt anyone even notices. I wear nice sundresses and sometimes even the cheap old navy flipflops that match. You're on a cruise, flip flops are the norm, esp when packing space is so limited. And while fancy flip flops may look a little better, they're covering the same amount of foot that cheapy ones would, so who really cares?

I agree with everyone wearing their flip flops to the MDR and i will be sporting several different pairs throughout my cruise......maybe even on formal nights(dressy ones) and i'm going to enjoy my vacation the way i want to. The purpose for my cruise is relaxation and quality family time. I have dress code at work and i'm not working so i will wearing what i want. Enjoy and make yourself happy!!!

I say cover your feet....i don't wanna stare at the most disgusting part of your body while i'm trying to eat. Just thinking of it makes me wanna puke....please wear shoes and save the splatter!

And yes i'm serious...i gag washing my own feet!

I say cover your feet....i don't wanna stare at the most disgusting part of your body while i'm trying to eat. Just thinking of it makes me wanna puke....please wear shoes and save the splatter!

And yes i'm serious...i gag washing my own feet!

:confused: I have to ask - why would you be looking under the table at feet while you are eating? Don't your dining companions find that a little odd? The tables in the MDR have long table clothes so it's very difficult to see anyone's feet under the table unless you are leaning under the table trying to look at them. You could probably see someone's feet at another table if you are trying to look at them.

Having taken biology in high school, I can name several more disgusting body parts than the feet. ;) Believe it or not, most people's hands have more germs than their feet.

Personally, I never pay attention to someone's footwear unless it's outragious and attracts attention. I would't pay attention to people wearing blue jeans or shorts if a few posters on CC didn't make such a fuss about it.

FWIW, here is the "dress code" sign posted outside the MDR from our Voyager of the Sea's Med. cruise from Oct '09. You'll note it only says no bare feet. Apparently flip flops are more than welcome in the MDR.

2519947400056845759S600x600Q85.jpg

My husband wore his "dress" flip-flops (no such thing, I know, but since they're leather I think he feels entitled!) every night except the two formal nights. Nobody said anything, and to be honest, I didn't even notice until he pointed it out.

I just ordered a pair of dress flip flops for $99.00.

Archived