Prohibited items on Carnival ships

*Mach*

[quote name='ezjack1825']OK, please excuse me if I'm dense and missed it somewhere, but what is the official update from the "beards" at CCL on the powerstrip deal?

Here's the general statement sent to me from guest svcs with no mention of power strips at all:

> --- Original Message ---
> Received: 4/28/10 10:07:29 PM EDT
> To: IMC Guest Info <[EMAIL="guestinfo@carnival.com"]guestinfo@carnival.com[/EMAIL]>
> Subject: General Policy Information
>
> I have seen a lot of chat regarding the terms in item 4(b) regarding
> household goods. Please provide examples, as this is an extremely general statement. Additonally this section specifies no cameras? You have to be kidding me.

On 5/5/10, Looney, Hortencia (CCL) <[EMAIL="HLooney@carnival.com"]HLooney@carnival.com[/EMAIL]> wrote:
> Good morning xxxxx,
>
> The section about no household goods is talking about items such as candles or incense, heating pads, liquor or beer, scissors with blades longer than 4 inches, VCRs or play units, irons, toasters, blenders, coffee makers, cork screws, grills/griddles, pairing knives, etc. [COLOR="Teal"][B]You can bring your camera but not to be used for commercial use. In other words photos and/or videos taken on board cannot be used to endorse any products. [/B][/COLOR]Carnival conducts security scanning of all luggage and if items on the "Prohibited Items" list are found, they will be removed and destroyed if the guest cannot return them to their car. No compensation will be given. If there is a specific item you have a question about please let us know.
>
> Please reply to:
> [EMAIL="guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com<mailto:guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com"]guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com<mailto:guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com[/EMAIL]>
>
> Thank you for choosing Carnival![/QUOTE]
[B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="teal"]Ok, this one I really don't understand. Don't they realize that most of the pictures that we take, are to show off to our friends and then our friends want to go on a cruise, also? Do they not want all the free advertising that we passengers give them by taking pictures of the ship and the cabins and the fun time we had? So, now, we can only use our cameras off the ship? Now I am really getting upset. I know someone who at this very moment has a Group Photography Cruise scheduled on the Carnival Spirit going to Alaska next year. Tell me how he is going to give classes on a ship where you can't take pictures?:(:confused:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='cwr322'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=teal]Ok, this one I really don't understand. Don't they realize that most of the pictures that we take, are to show off to our friends and then our friends want to go on a cruise, also? Do they not want all the free advertising that we passengers give them by taking pictures of the ship and the cabins and the fun time we had? So, now, we can only use our cameras off the ship? Now I am really getting upset. I know someone who at this very moment has a Group Photography Cruise scheduled on the Carnival Spirit going to Alaska next year. Tell me how he is going to give classes on a ship where you can't take pictures?:(:confused:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]You can take all the pictures you want... the issue is with pictures taken for COMMERCIAL use. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]:)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Host Mach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]You can take all the pictures you want... the issue is with pictures taken for COMMERCIAL use. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]:)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="DarkSlateBlue"]Thanks, Mach! I know you are getting tired of answering all of these questions. I will leave you alone for awhile.:):o
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]

[quote name='cwr322'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=darkslateblue]Thanks, Mach! I know you are getting tired of answering all of these questions. I will leave you alone for awhile.:):o[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B]
[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]It really isn't a problem. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]I'm sure the folks at Carnival will get tired of me before I get tired of the questions...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]:)
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I am not sure if I should laugh or cry. I do appreciate you Mach for taking this on. Without you, we would have never known, except John thingy which was confusing.

I have a few things that I normally take. Could I please ask you if they are allowed. We leave in a few weeks, so I need to get this all down.

I take my computer. I normally take an extension cord, with mulitple holes, but hubby says he has one with only the single plug, which won't be a problem. (They still offer WiFi on the ship, so this shouldn't be a problem)

I have a massager for the spasms in my back. I use it with the EC. I only need the cord on the ship, because of the crazy place they put the wall thingys. It is not issued under a doctors care, so I won't be able to claim medical necessary, and I refuse to lie. Can I hand carry it, or even better, put it in my checked luggage. I don't have to take it, but would be able to see if people dropped anything on the floor the entire time on the ship.:) It is also heavy, so I would prefer not to have to carry it.

Thank you Mach, and by the way, we are at Fort Hood, so you and I are almost neighbors.:)

[quote name='Luanne21']I am not sure if I should laugh or cry. I do appreciate you Mach for taking this on. Without you, we would have never known, except John thingy which was confusing.

I have a few things that I normally take. Could I please ask you if they are allowed. We leave in a few weeks, so I need to get this all down.

I take my computer. I normally take an extension cord, with mulitple holes, but hubby says he has one with only the single plug, which won't be a problem. (They still offer WiFi on the ship, so this shouldn't be a problem)

I have a massager for the spasms in my back. I use it with the EC. I only need the cord on the ship, because of the crazy place they put the wall thingys. It is not issued under a doctors care, so I won't be able to claim medical necessary, and I refuse to lie. Can I hand carry it, or even better, put it in my checked luggage. I don't have to take it, but would be able to see if people dropped anything on the floor the entire time on the ship.:) It is also heavy, so I would prefer not to have to carry it.

Thank you Mach, and by the way, we are at Fort Hood, so you and I are almost neighbors.:)[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]Put the extension cord in your carry on. If you're questioned about it tell them you need it for the massager because of cramps. Sounds pretty medical to me. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]If you note, there's no requirement for a doctor's note regarding such items so there's no need to lie.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]I'm sure that what you're carrying will be fine as long as it's in your carry on.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

:)

[quote name='ezjack1825']OK, please excuse me if I'm dense and missed it somewhere, but what is the official update from the "beards" at CCL on the powerstrip deal?

Here's the general statement sent to me from guest svcs with no mention of power strips at all:

> --- Original Message ---
> Received: 4/28/10 10:07:29 PM EDT
> To: IMC Guest Info <[EMAIL="guestinfo@carnival.com"]guestinfo@carnival.com[/EMAIL]>
> Subject: General Policy Information
>
> I have seen a lot of chat regarding the terms in item 4(b) regarding
> household goods. Please provide examples, as this is an extremely general statement. Additonally this section specifies no cameras? You have to be kidding me.

On 5/5/10, Looney, Hortencia (CCL) <[EMAIL="HLooney@carnival.com"]HLooney@carnival.com[/EMAIL]> wrote:
> Good morning xxxxx,
>
> The section about no household goods is talking about items such as candles or incense, heating pads, liquor or beer, scissors with blades longer than 4 inches, VCRs or play units, irons, toasters, blenders, coffee makers, cork screws, grills/griddles, pairing knives, etc. You can bring your camera but not to be used for commercial use. In other words photos and/or videos taken on board cannot be used to endorse any products. Carnival conducts security scanning of all luggage and if items on the "Prohibited Items" list are found, they will be removed and destroyed if the guest cannot return them to their car. No compensation will be given. If there is a specific item you have a question about please let us know.
>
> Please reply to:
> [email]guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com<mailto:guestsolutionssupport@carnival.com[/email]>
>
> Thank you for choosing Carnival![/quote]

I think it's hillarious that people missed my point or beat around the bush on this. My point was that although their policy explicitly, without limitations, states no cameras, yet - "oh, don't woory, that's fine, just not commercial use" comes up. Then on the power strip deal where there is noting to back it up, there are just generalizations referred to. If someone really wanted to fire up the situation, I'm pretty sure CCL wouldn't have a legal leg to stand by due to their phrasing in the contract. I hate legalease but have to deal with it in contracts at work and I know such a thing in one of my contracts would bite me in the butt BIG TIME if I was to be vague or contradict like that,

I agree with Host Mach that they should not implement until it is duly documented and made substantially aware to customers, but unfortunately we are at their mercy as they could deny boarding for any reason whatsoever.

[quote name='cwr322'][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=teal]Ok, this one I really don't understand. Don't they realize that most of the pictures that we take, are to show off to our friends and then our friends want to go on a cruise, also? Do they not want all the free advertising that we passengers give them by taking pictures of the ship and the cabins and the fun time we had? So, now, we can only use our cameras off the ship? Now I am really getting upset. I know someone who at this very moment has a Group Photography Cruise scheduled on the Carnival Spirit going to Alaska next year. Tell me how he is going to give classes on a ship where you can't take pictures?:(:confused:[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/quote]

Showing your friends photos of your cruise does not constitute promoting something or commercial use, don't worry. :) Commerical use is making money off the photos or use of the photos. So, unless you're a travel agent, go ahead and show your friends your photos and tell them it is fun to take a cruise.

For the photography group, they can still take photos on board - they just cannot use any of the photos that show any part of the ship or ppl on the ship unless they have written permission from Carnival to do so. They can take photos on the ship that don't have any part of the ship in them (photos of the sea, sky, and ports or photos of objects using a backdrop they brought onboard as long as the objects are their own and not belonging to Carnival). They also could try to get permission from Carnival to use their photos, if they wanted, although I don't know how easy that would be. I did ask Carnival via their contact area of their Web site, but never heard back. :rolleyes:

The best photos will be photos taken of the ports, ocean, sky, etc. anyway!

[quote name='ezjack1825']I think it's hillarious that people missed my point or beat around the bush on this. My point was that although their policy explicitly, without limitations, states no cameras, yet - "oh, don't woory, that's fine, just not commercial use" comes up. Then on the power strip deal where there is noting to back it up, there are just generalizations referred to. If someone really wanted to fire up the situation, I'm pretty sure CCL wouldn't have a legal leg to stand by due to their phrasing in the contract. I hate legalease but have to deal with it in contracts at work and I know such a thing in one of my contracts would bite me in the butt BIG TIME if I was to be vague or contradict like that,

I agree with Host Mach that they should not implement until it is duly documented and made substantially aware to customers, but unfortunately we are at their mercy as they could deny boarding for any reason whatsoever.[/quote]

I think that section has to do with your using the cruise ship to ship items you're planning on selling in other countries. See the clause above it that says personal items are allowed. You just can't bring cartons of merchandise onboard so you can offload them in another country and sell them there. The section refers to a federal statute, which you could Google to find out what it is (I haven't done so).

Otherwise, it says documents and money, so I guess nobody is allowed to bring their passports/birth certificates or buy anything on the ship! :p

[quote name='Luanne21']I have a massager for the spasms in my back. I use it with the EC. I only need the cord on the ship, because of the crazy place they put the wall thingys. It is not issued under a doctors care, so I won't be able to claim medical necessary, and I refuse to lie. Can I hand carry it, or even better, put it in my checked luggage. I don't have to take it, but would be able to see if people dropped anything on the floor the entire time on the ship.:) It is also heavy, so I would prefer not to have to carry it.[/quote]

You don't need a prescription for something in order for it to be a medical device/related to medical needs (unless, of course, it is something available only by prescription ;) ). You're not lying by saying your massager is a medical necessity, since you have a true medical need for it. It is an over-the-counter treatment. Although, I'm sure you could have your doctor write you a note for it if it would make you feel better.

If you put it in your checked luggage, put a note on it saying it is medical.

[quote name='Host Mach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]Here ya' go...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57][IMG]http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/mach_man/Conquest%203/Conquest%202/Conquest%201/IMG_1353.jpg[/IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[/quote]

Can both these sockets be used at the same time ?

Or are they really only one socket with 2 inputs ?
Or are they too close together to get 2 plugs in ?

Thanks
John

[quote name='Tinlgey Cruiser']Can both these sockets be used at the same time ?

Thanks
John[/quote]

Yes they can be used at the same time. Just be sure of what your are plugging into the 220v socket.

[quote name='Tinlgey Cruiser']Can both these sockets be used at the same time ?

Thanks
John[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]They can both be used but one is 110 volts and the other is European standard 220 volts. You would need a converter to use the second one. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]Please note that some of the items you'll see for sale are merely adapters... they do nothing to the voltage. You need a converter to step down the 220 to 110[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT].

:)

I emailed Carnival over this issue, and here is the reply:

[quote]Dear Carnival Past Cruiser:

Thank you for contacting Carnival Cruise Lines. We appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance.
We can certainly understand your level of concern and apologize if there was a misunderstanding. At this time, there is no ban on the use of power strips. As such, our Guest Services Desk occasionally has an extra power cord for our guests to use if the necessity arises.

If you need further assistance from Carnival, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Sincerely,

Guest Care
[email]guestcare@carnival.com[/email]
[/quote]

[quote name='Host Mach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]They can both be used but one is 110 volts and the other is European standard 220 volts. You would need a converter to use the second one. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]Please note that some of the items you'll see for sale are merely adapters... they do nothing to the voltage. You need a converter to step down the 220 to 110[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT].

:)[/quote]

Thanks Mach, although as a Brit all my stuff is 220. It'll make a change to cross the pond and not have to decrease everything to 110. :D.

Will still be bringing UK - US adaptor and US Voltage Converter (for our pre-cruise 4 night hotel stay & for plug 1) and now a UK - Europe adaptor for plug 2 ! ;).

John

[quote name='Quampapetet']When do you think we'll hear about the results of the meeting?[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]I don't know but John told me he'll let me know when the revised list is published.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I am concerned about the length of cord required to connect my electric cart for charging. I think a 3-4' one comes with it. I bought a 3' w/power strip because it seems to need a heavy cord and didn't really want a 25' cord.

We are in one of the new balconies on the Ecstasy. The plug in is probably on the dresser but has anyone seen one? How much length do I need?

[quote name='gwinel']I am concerned about the length of cord required to connect my electric cart for charging. I think a 3-4' one comes with it. I bought a 3' w/power strip because it seems to need a heavy cord and didn't really want a 25' cord.

We are in one of the new balconies on the Ecstasy. The plug in is probably on the dresser but has anyone seen one? How much length do I need?[/QUOTE]
We were in one of the aft cabins on the Ecstasy before it was converted to a balcony and the outlet was on the dresser at that time.

[quote name='cwr322']We were in one of the aft cabins on the Ecstasy before it was converted to a balcony and the outlet was on the dresser at that time.[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

I can't wait to see how they attached those balconies!!!

[quote name='Host Mach'][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]No, that's not the case. You can use chargers and such the prohibition is on the power strips that allow you to plug in multiple items at once...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[/quote]

Mach,
I thought you might want to cover this. We just got off the Dream today and had an extended aft balcony cabin (7467) to be specific. We had 1 outlet in the corner of the desk. We did not need any devices of the CPAP nature but if you did, that outlet is a good 8-10 feet from where your CPAP machine would be if you used it to sleep on the bed. An extension cord would not reach unless you had one about 10 feet long. Since most of us think of an extension cord as being a bit shorter, it might be a question for people to ask if they use a CPAP machine. We can only comment on the cabin we had and not sure of the other cabins layouts that might impact CPAP use in bed.

For other issues: On the dream from Port Canaveral 5-1-10 sailing
We had a battery operated fan in our carryon that was fine with Carnival. We had TSA locks on our checked baggage and it was not opened and we were not called down to the naughty room. We had plenty of liquids in bottles in our luggage. (not alcohol or liquor) People did have liquor, electric fans and irons confiscated and they were handing them back last night. People with zip ties on their luggage and liquor in it did have the zip ties cut, liquor removed and a note left in their luggage. The people we talked to had beer in bottles and cans and liquor bottles.

[quote name='David-n-Rita']Mach,
I thought you might want to cover this. We just got off the Dream today and had an extended aft balcony cabin (7467) to be specific. We had 1 outlet in the corner of the desk. We did not need any devices of the CPAP nature but if you did, that outlet is a good 8-10 feet from where your CPAP machine would be if you used it to sleep on the bed. An extension cord would not reach unless you had one about 10 feet long. Since most of us think of an extension cord as being a bit shorter, it might be a question for people to ask if they use a CPAP machine. We can only comment on the cabin we had and not sure of the other cabins layouts that might impact CPAP use in bed.

For other issues: On the dream from Port Canaveral 5-1-10 sailing
We had a battery operated fan in our carryon that was fine with Carnival. We had TSA locks on our checked baggage and it was not opened and we were not called down to the naughty room. We had plenty of liquids in bottles in our luggage. (not alcohol or liquor) People did have liquor, electric fans and irons confiscated and they were handing them back last night. People with zip ties on their luggage and liquor in it did have the zip ties cut, liquor removed and a note left in their luggage. The people we talked to had beer in bottles and cans and liquor bottles.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]Thanks so much for the update!![/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]The plug location is common to the VAST majority of cabins on Carnival ships. Fortunately, the extension cord requirement is now known throughout Carnival and it should not be an issue. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]Interesting note about the checked luggage. Perhaps the way to go is hardware locks as opposed to zip ties. I don't find it surprising at all that bottles and cans would draw attention in an easily accessible checked bag.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Having not read this entire thread nor all the BANNED ITEMS threads (yes, yes - 20 lashes), what again was the specific reason for not allowing fans and such on ships?

("Specific" does not mean that they simply label something as "potentially hazardous")

Have there been any reported/documented incidents of FIRES or injuries as a result of using a fan or power strip on ships?? Or, do you think it may be more of a cost savings measure? Many watt hours over many ships certainly equals some expense!

If it was really the bean counters who started this whole thing, I would not be surprised. Sort of like the airlines doing everything they can to reduce excess weight on planes to save as many drops of fuel as possible... and you can't blame them!

Tom

[quote name='Tom-n-Cheryl']Having not read this entire thread nor all the BANNED ITEMS threads (yes, yes - 20 lashes), what again was the specific reason for not allowing fans and such on ships?

("Specific" does not mean that they simply label something as "potentially hazardous")

Have there been any reported/documented incidents of FIRES or injuries as a result of using a fan or power strip on ships?? Or, do you think it may be more of a cost savings measure? Many watt hours over many ships certainly equals some expense!

If it was really the bean counters who started this whole thing, I would not be surprised. Sort of like the airlines doing everything they can to reduce excess weight on planes to save as many drops of fuel as possible... and you can't blame them!

Tom[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=seagreen]Face to face but one at at time I asked John and Chris Prideaux the reason for the restriction. They both said it was fear of overloading the circuit in the cabin. It made little sense to me. Clothes steamers are permitted but I can't bring a power strip to plug in three battery chargers that take 1/100 of the current? Strange. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=4][COLOR=#2e8b57]In the case of ships the size of cruise liners weight isn't nearly as much of a factor as form drag is or even the condition of the hull. I can't see fans drawing enough power to make a lick of difference in the fuel burn.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Archived