Snorkeling decisions are driving me crazy!

YaYaCruiser

Arriving Belize via Carnival Triumph June 5th sailing from New Orleans. We are a group of 3 couples varying in age from 52 to 25. Coral Breeze/Caye Caulker sounds good, but I'm concerned about returning late and missing the ship. Also, after we've done a boat snorkel, will there be enough to do on the island to keep us busy. (2 of the group have never cruised). My DH and I loved Costa Maya, and think Caulker might be similar. Any comparisons? Or do we want to do a Carnival snorkeling tour to Goff's Caye or Sergeant's Caye? Or do we want to do an Ecotours Gallows Reef and Beach Break?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated! CC family, PLEASE HELP!

We did the trip to Goff's Caye, mainly because the boat picked us up right at the ship - no tendering into shore. It was a very nice snorkeling trip and we'd do it again. We first snorkeled from the boat [after it stopped at GC to let people off who weren't snorkeling], then returned to GC. One of the guides took some people out on a shore snorkel [we didn't realize they were doing that or we probably would have gone], but we just stayed on the island and relaxed. No facilities there at all, however, except for a boat that had water and restroom.

In March we did the Stringray Alley and Caye Caulker tour with Coral Breeze. Tour was okay but they were very disorganized at the pier and we left late. Our snorkeling was cut short by 1/2 hour and Caye Caulker was shortened by 1/2 hour. Didn't get what we were promised or what we paid for. I believe they try to get everyone back on pier on time but because of that your tour may be cut short like ours was. I really liked Caye Caulker - it was really laid back. Sand streets, restaurants and a few shops. It was very pretty. No real beach though so not at all like Costa Maya in that regard and we didn't see any jet skis and stuff like that. You can rent golf carts or bikes to get around. We would've liked more time to explore but there again our tour was cut short. We did eat lunch with Carlos. He has a grill set up on the beach and grills kebobs. We had chicken and shrimp kebobs. They were $7 each. They were very good. I know its crazy trying to decide who to go with and where - I thought Coral Breeze was the best choice (Eco tours was not offering the tour we wanted on the day we needed them) but I wouldn't go with them again. Good luck with your planning.

Arriving Belize via Carnival Triumph June 5th sailing from New Orleans. We are a group of 3 couples varying in age from 52 to 25. Coral Breeze/Caye Caulker sounds good, but I'm concerned about returning late and missing the ship. Also, after we've done a boat snorkel, will there be enough to do on the island to keep us busy. (2 of the group have never cruised). My DH and I loved Costa Maya, and think Caulker might be similar. Any comparisons? Or do we want to do a Carnival snorkeling tour to Goff's Caye or Sergeant's Caye? Or do we want to do an Ecotours Gallows Reef and Beach Break?

Any suggestions would be most appreciated! CC family, PLEASE HELP!

Hey!!!!!!! You can join us if ya want. Take a look at seasportsbelize.com to see if they have anything you like to do. Mrs. Leo told me about this one. Saved $$ by not booking thru cruise line. I am diving but they seem to have other stuff. see ya on board in 36 or so DAYS!!!!!

Catmando and I did the snorkeling at Goff's Caye. He said that the reef appeared dead to him, but I saw lots of fish, the beach is beautiful on the south side of the little pier. When we were there in February there were some locals selling lobster/chicken kabobs on an oil drum grill. The smell was heavenly, and of course we had to eat(fantastic) and there was another local selling beautiful carved wood products from the indiginous trees. If you like to snorkel and feel as far away from mankind than you can get, enjoy Goff's Caye!

• 4 weeks later...
Hey!!!!!!! You can join us if ya want. Take a look at seasportsbelize.com to see if they have anything you like to do. Mrs. Leo told me about this one. Saved $$ by not booking thru cruise line. I am diving but they seem to have other stuff. see ya on board in 36 or so DAYS!!!!!

Still trying to decide what to do in Belize. Can't scuba as not certified.

Did yall decide on the scuba one? do they pick you up at the dock?

The logistics of BELIZE as a tour ship destination are not the best. Two years ago I did the Valor and went to Caye Caulker on our own. A short walk to the water taxi and an hour boat ride to the Caye. Ounce there head to the "split". Here you will find a bar, the Lazy Lizard and some interesting snorkeling right off from the bar.

I have since moved to San Pedro Belize on Ambergris Caye, a 20 minute boat ride from Cay Caulker. I try to go to Caye Caulker on my day off, just to hang out.

Right now the water taxi service is not good. The two companies have merged, increased fares and reduced service.

A option if you are willing to spend a bit more, I would suggest booking a flight with one of the Local airlines. A taxi to the airstrip will run less than $10us and a round trip flight on Tropic Air or Maya Air will run $70us per person. Then a $5 golf cart taxi to the split on the Caye

Belize is really no beeg deal.

Look up the web site for Coral Breeze Tours & find the info you need to decide.

We do the Caye Caulker snorkel trip two times a year, for the last six years with Coral Breeze, have a super time & have never been late returning to the Tourist Village for the tender back to the ship. They make their living getting you back to the ship on time !

On their snorkel boat are clients from 8 to almost 80 years old.

You will love the local lunch there on Caye Caulker !

Just do it !!

Bill in FL

The logistics of BELIZE as a tour ship destination are not the best. Two years ago I did the Valor and went to Caye Caulker on our own. A short walk to the water taxi and an hour boat ride to the Caye. Ounce there head to the "split". Here you will find a bar, the Lazy Lizard and some interesting snorkeling right off from the bar.

I have since moved to San Pedro Belize on Ambergris Caye, a 20 minute boat ride from Cay Caulker. I try to go to Caye Caulker on my day off, just to hang out.

Right now the water taxi service is not good. The two companies have merged, increased fares and reduced service.

A option if you are willing to spend a bit more, I would suggest booking a flight with one of the Local airlines. A taxi to the airstrip will run less than $10us and a round trip flight on Tropic Air or Maya Air will run $70us per person. Then a $5 golf cart taxi to the split on the Caye

Hey, Wade...That's for the tip on the watertaxi merger. Certainly limits the options. Re: Ambergris Caye, I hear the Capricorn is under new owners and the food is excellent. And Fidos has the best conch fritters. Your take?

Crew

Hey, Wade...That's for the tip on the watertaxi merger. Certainly limits the options. Re: Ambergris Caye, I hear the Capricorn is under new owners and the food is excellent. And Fidos has the best conch fritters. Your take?

I did hear about the Capricorn, havent ate there, but have heard good reviews.

I try to go to FIDOS on Thusday night ( not a time that works for the cruise pasengers) for "wing night" $1 bz wings and $4 bz Belikins.

• 2 weeks later...

YaYa: See that you have sailed, so what did you end up doing in Belize? I will be going there next month with 5 others, including my 88 year old mom. Also, I am going to Roatan, Cozumel and Cayman--any suggestions (if you went to those places)? Planning just a beach/shopping day in Cozumel and snorkeling at Roatan. Thanks in advance for your review of Belize.

My only advice, judging by how excited you seem about the prospect of snorkeling in Belize, is to realize that there is a possibility that although you end up making a decision WHO to snorkel WITH...you could very well go and not see a dang thing.

This happened to us. We are in LOVE with snorkeling. Made the kids double up on swimming lessons so they were comfortable in the water, got them all snorkel gear, taught them how to snorkel, get to Belize, get out into the water...and the water was so rough that A.) I couldn't see 6" in front of my face (let's put it this way, the coral was close enough to me I was literally cutting my feet on it, but I couldn't see it), and B.) it made swimming back to the boat next to impossible and made for a miserable day.

My best advice would be that if the tender ride in is rough and the water LOOKS rough, to cancel (providing you can and won't be out much $$) and don't waste your time or money. We ended up in a very potentially dangerous situation with my kids and my dad (who's older) and I wasn't real impressed with the tour operator's decision to take us out anyway, without any regard for our safety or the quality of our experience (just to make a few bucks).

I totally don't want to burst your bubble, but I really wish that someone had made me aware that it was a possibility and given me a head's up to watch the water conditions more closely.

And as for those who aren't interested in snorkeling in your party, I'd honestly have them plan on staying onboard the ship. There's not a dang thing to see in Belize City, within the port area there isn't even a decent postcard/tshirt/tourist trap shop. Not worth the hour PLUS RT tender process, for SURE.

Did Coral Breeze and were glad we did.

Bit of confusion at the dock in organizing everything and a couple was late with getting off the ship so we had to wait.

Beautiful ride to Caye Calker to pick up some frozen fish for the rays. Saw manatee and dolphins on the way out.

40 minutes or so on the reef. Beautiful, vibrant and informative. The guides dove down about 15 feet or so to bring up conch, etc...and poked at some moray eels.

Lunch on Caye Calker looked good. We passed it up to swim out to see a 10 foot nurse shark who made her home right off of CC.

Ride back was a bummer because we wished we could spend a week out at the reef.

Did Coral Breeze and were glad we did.

Bit of confusion at the dock in organizing everything and a couple was late with getting off the ship so we had to wait.

Beautiful ride to Caye Calker to pick up some frozen fish for the rays. Saw manatee and dolphins on the way out.

40 minutes or so on the reef. Beautiful, vibrant and informative. The guides dove down about 15 feet or so to bring up conch, etc...and poked at some moray eels.

Lunch on Caye Calker looked good. We passed it up to swim out to see a 10 foot nurse shark who made her home right off of CC.

Ride back was a bummer because we wished we could spend a week out at the reef.

Can you tell me how many they take out in a group? we are looking for a small tour ,like maybe 8 to 10 people.

Archived