Shipping bags to the pier?

Nutriosotoo

Has anybody had experience with shipping bags from home to the pier? With all the problems airlines and security measures have created with charging for shipping bags and how much and what you can take in a carry-on, we are considering it. We have found out that it costs about $100 per bag within the US. I have always hated having to lug around heavy bags on the longer cruises. What say the experienced cruisers who have used this service?

---- Penny

Since we fly American Airlines and DW is in one of their advanced frequent flier categories we don't pay for our bags so the number is not an issue. We do keep them under the 50 lb limit so that's not a problem either. I guess there's just something about shipping my bags off and hoping they show up at the dock that makes me uneasy. I realize people have done it and apparently without a problem. Rationally I also know that short of driving to the port so that your luggage is virtually never out of your sight is really the only guarantee. Still I just can't see doing.

Has anybody had experience with shipping bags from home to the pier? With all the problems airlines and security measures have created with charging for shipping bags and how much and what you can take in a carry-on, we are considering it. We have found out that it costs about $100 per bag within the US. I have always hated having to lug around heavy bags on the longer cruises. What say the experienced cruisers who have used this service?

---- Penny

It's called Luggage Forward and according to the site and from those who've used it, the luggage goes from your home (5 days before your cruise) to HAL's ship that you're on.

Here's HAL's site for it:http://www.luggageforward.com/index.jsp?cbd=hal&cft=hal006017008&mkt=hal006017008&mki=hal006017008

You can read about it in the thread at

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1183501&highlight=forward+service

To do luggage shipping you have to use the official company used by HAL. It is a really good idea, but be sure not to ship your medicines, valuable jewelry or cameras. Take along enough clothing 'just in case' and travel easy.

To do luggage shipping you have to use the official company used by HAL. It is a really good idea, but be sure not to ship your medicines, valuable jewelry or cameras. Take along enough clothing 'just in case' and travel easy.

I agree.

Even when just using the usual flight checking or just port checking, have a carryon bag with medicine, jewelry, cameras, binoculars and a change of clothing in case luggage somehow goes astray.

Archived