Thomson Dream All inclusive question

have you looked at the photos? the poster explained the drinks included in the new AI package on the NEW menu in the photos posted were marked with an * :D

That's right only with an * :(

But I made sure i got my fair share of the ones that were the cocktail of the day.

Berwyn

P.S.

No fancy coffee only the stuff from the tap in the buffet restaurants.

Thanks Kev, you were quick, saved me a job posting the drinks menu

I have sailed with thompsons for the past 3 years. And looking for another little 2 week float with them in July.

On their bar menu everything was AI. If it had an Astericks then you had to pay the 50% extra, if you were AI.

Other punters with no AI paid the full price.

So whoever said anything with an astricks is AI. is wrong. Unless they have changed it for this year.

So please enlighten us. BUT - Only if you know you are correct. No Speculations Please.:D

Hi- your recollection of this is not quite 100% right.( there was not a 50% figure ). The old bar lists showed everything as you say ie:- everything was AI but some had a supplement - there was also a second price in the price column for the drinks that had a supplement for guests on the Drinks unlimited package eg Vodka Absolut Citron was £4.00 for non AI guests and £1.00 for AI guests, Pina Colada just had a £3.40 in the price column so it was £3.40 for non AI guests but free for those with AI.Likewise say Gordon's gin was £3.00 for non AI guests but free if you had AI. Same for Whiskys such as Teacher's Famous Grouse Jameson etc etc etcetc

The new bar list is as shown above. You only get AI on those drinks with an asterisk and those without you pay 50% of the price if you have the AI package. If you do not have the AI package obviously you pay the full price.

Biggest changes I see are the vast reduction in cocktails ( there were nearly 30 alcoholic ones on the Celebration this winter ), the total loss of virgin cocktails from the AI list and the loss of hot beverages eg Hot chocolate, espresso, capuccino , americano, latte,mocha etc, plus loss of whisky,rum vodka and gin choices. It seems quite a radical change to me.

To answer another point not raised by you - the Lido serves two types of coffee - normal and decaff only. The teas in there are normal tea eg earl grey, liptons plus a couple of herbal usually peppermint and camomile. These are free to everyone so nothing to do with the drinks package so can not be used as part of that.

Hubby has been on the phone tonite to Thomson's, after being on hold for hours on one number we tried to get through on the payments number and they forwarded the call to another number we asked her for the direct number and was given it only to be told we need to speak to someone else again we asked for the direct number as we had been kept on hold for so long. The person we spoke to was Gemma on 0871 231 4908.

She told us that it was being investigated as they had so many complaints, and a definitive answer would be given in 48 hours after the supervisor had contacted the ship to find out what was going on, and no refunds would be given until they had got to the bottom of this.

So watch this space lol

Hubby has been on the phone tonite to Thomson's, after being on hold for hours on one number we tried to get through on the payments number and they forwarded the call to another number we asked her for the direct number and was given it only to be told we need to speak to someone else again we asked for the direct number as we had been kept on hold for so long. The person we spoke to was Gemma on 0871 231 4908.

She told us that it was being investigated as they had so many complaints, and a definitive answer would be given in 48 hours after the supervisor had contacted the ship to find out what was going on, and no refunds would be given until they had got to the bottom of this.

So watch this space lol

We have booked through Cruise Deals for 1st June. I have phoned them and they assured me that the AI deal was "back to normal". I asked does that mean as last season on the Celebration and Spirit. The reply was "most definitely - back to normal". I am not at all convinced. Cruise Deals are part of the Tui group so one would think they should know. The lady I spoke to did say there had been many many enquiries re the AI packages. I have paid over £300 thinking that it would be as last year on Celebration to include virgin cocktails, coffees such as espressos etc, hot chocolate and of course alcoholic tipples for the evening. Due to restricted mobility we do tend to stay on the ship a lot so make full use of our package. Anyway here's hoping that things may change but unlikely I think. Not happy !!

We have booked through Cruise Deals for 1st June. I have phoned them and they assured me that the AI deal was "back to normal". I asked does that mean as last season on the Celebration and Spirit. The reply was "most definitely - back to normal". I am not at all convinced. Cruise Deals are part of the Tui group so one would think they should know. The lady I spoke to did say there had been many many enquiries re the AI packages. I have paid over £300 thinking that it would be as last year on Celebration to include virgin cocktails, coffees such as espressos etc, hot chocolate and of course alcoholic tipples for the evening. Due to restricted mobility we do tend to stay on the ship a lot so make full use of our package. Anyway here's hoping that things may change but unlikely I think. Not happy !!

And they are prepared to give you that in writing ? What evidence do you have of this conversation when you arrive on the ship ! :)

Send them an email and ask them to reply by email confirming it !

I spoke to Gemma today as well and was told that this was being looked at - to be honest all I want is my £378 back as what I drink is not on the list! Lets see what happens in 48 hours, because quite frankly after spending more than 2 grand and after reading all the reviews and the Drink package ( I think calling it a drinkS package is a little too much now) I am dreading this trip!

After Berwyn review I dont think we have anything much to worry about, teething problems I think, I dont think the ship should have been put into service on the 22nd April after all that has happened. They should have sorted everything out before taking passengers and made sure they had enough staff on board. As we are going for 2 weeks we paid a lot more than you :( so hoping they get something sorted out, if not going to be drunk for 2 weeks hic hic pmsl :D

Sue

If the worst comes to the worst just keep drinking the daily cocktail!!! I am sure you will have a lovely time :-) - we are going in June so you will have to give us all your hints and tips too !

After Berwyn review I dont think we have anything much to worry about, teething problems I think, I dont think the ship should have been put into service on the 22nd April after all that has happened. They should have sorted everything out before taking passengers and made sure they had enough staff on board. As we are going for 2 weeks we paid a lot more than you :( so hoping they get something sorted out, if not going to be drunk for 2 weeks hic hic pmsl :D

Sue

HI Sue,

they are gradually getting things better..

DW agrees with you and she should have been fully checked over before we went on, or we should have been given a discount on our cruise.

By the time we ended ours we seemed to be more fully staffed and more stock aboard.

If you find food still cold / lukewarm in the buffet, eat in the Orion.

Berwyn

We came off The Celebration yesterday (Monday) having had a great time on the Eastern Wonders itinerary. On that cruise the AI package was as it has always been. However, this was the Celebration and not the Dream and it was a repositioning cruise to Marmaris ready for the summer season.

As we are booked on the Dream for September (and have the AI package - albeit free for early booking) I have been a bit concerned about the reported changes, specifically about the range of cocktails.

I therefore contacted my local Thomson travel shop today, giving them the details as reported in posts on this site. This was the reply:

I have contacted Thomson regarding The Dream AI Package and they have advised me that there were restrictions on the AI element while transporting passengers back to the Uk due to the Volcanic Ash. Other than this they have the same AI facilities as previously advertised and in line with the other Thomson Cruise Ships.

I have also checked Thomsons website today and, as others have reported, the AI information is the same as it has always been.

Unless this is contradicted, it would seem that the restricted AI was for those people who were being "rescued" before the Dream came into full service, which would make it a very reasonable restriction all things considered. The proof, one way or another, will come from those who were on the first official cruise.

To update.

Following the above response from my local Thomson TA I have now emailed to them a copy of the letter re the change to the AI/drinks package and copies of the photos of the new bar lists that were posted on this site and also a snapshot from the Thomson website which still says that the AI package includes international brand spirits, range of cocktails etc.

Local TA has responded saying that they have sent a copy of my email with the attachments to customer services for their response. I await that response with interest.

Whatever the true position, there is clearly a lot of confusion/misinformation between the different branches of Thomson which implies that the aser (anagram) doesn't know what the elbow is up to.

I'm thinking of cancelling my ai package for feb, i know i've paid only £69pp but 2 of the party won't be able to drink much at all my sister has abs and can't drink fizzy drinks, doesn't like win and tea and coffee, she loved the virgin cocktails and hot choc, and my mum's about the same, shes says its gonna be £69 to just drink the free coffee from the lido, we are not on the dream, go 2 cruise due on the celebration at least got it free for our oct cruise, we are even thinking of cancelling the feb cruise.

This is gonna spoil a lot of cruises for people, lets hope they do something about it, as it sounds like lots of peolple are complaining, waiting til my ta gets back of hols on mon, she'd emailed thomson and is gonna forward me the reply she gets back

btw if people wanna ring thomson try this website saynoto0870 .com this gives cheaper numbers for thomson etc and even free phone nubers, why should we pay to complain

And they are prepared to give you that in writing ? What evidence do you have of this conversation when you arrive on the ship ! :)

Send them an email and ask them to reply by email confirming it !

Asked for an e-mail and they said they would only reply to e-mails and not telephone enquiries. Therefore e-mailed them immediately. Website says all e-mails dealt with within 24 hours that was 48 hours ago and guess what - still no reply!

Don't think they will put in writing in a letter form. Had enough trouble getting a printed receipt from them as I paid over the phone by card. Initially told by Cruise Deals to just check my statement.

I am totally unimpressed by Thomson and any connected company such as Cruise Deals. Once they have your money the after sales service is dismal. I have just spent 25 minutes trying to speak to someone at Thomson Cruise After Sales Service - the only thing you hear is "Welcome to my World" repeated over and over again with not even a recorded message every few minutes to apologise for the delay in call being dealt with. Gave up in the end. Cost for the call is 5p per minute. They must be making a fortune on this alone.

Think will have just have to grin and bear (spelling??) it.

Re my post above #111

I think it is significant that my local Thomson travel agency have had no reply as yet to my query including all the evidence from posters on this site. There was a very quick response initially saying it was due to the ash cloud.

Someting very odd is going on - Thomson shops are clearly unaware of what is happening.

I also emailed a question direct to Thomson asking for specific details of what the AI package includes (in all innocence, not mentioning any of the changes). No reply yet of course.

HI - Just wanted to let everyone know that I too sent an email to Thomsons on Tuesday to request clarification and confirmation on what exactly was included in the 'All Inclusive Drinks package on the Thomson Dream. This is their reply (which I received today) below:

"Thank you for your email regarding your forthcoming cruise. We are still waiting for clarification on the exact changes and details of our all inclusive drinks packages. We should have these details within the next 48 hours. If you please contact us then we will be able to advise you. May I take this opportunity to thank you for booking with Thomson Cruises." :cool:

I will let you know if I receive any further information.

I phoned Gemma today on 0871 2314908 (got straight through) whose details were posted on an earlier thread & it was the most cohesive conversation that I've had to date. According to her there have been an 'enormous' number of complaints following the change to the AI programme on Dream. The change is a permanent change and at present only applies to Dream with no plans to roll it out throughout the rest of the fleet. Thomsons in the UK were supposedly 'in the dark' about the changes until complaints started rolling in. However, we were told that David Selby is currently still on Dream & following a call from Thomson HO there will be a special meeting on board tomorrow to 'try' and resolve the issues. The meeting is scheduled for 2.00pm and they 'should' have further information after the meeting. As we booked through a TA she did say our complaint should be made through them, but I pointed out they were still insisting 'no changes' and that I knew more than they did, they'd even asked me to email them a copy of the letter issued on Dream. My suggestion therefore is for everyone to call again after 3.00pm tomorrow & maybe, just maybe, someone may have a definative answer.

Thanks for the update Jo - very interesting.

Can't think why the AI changes would only apply to the Dream though, and not to all of the other Thomson ships.. Seems odd to me.. The terms and description of the AI Drinks Package on the Thomson website is the same for all of the Thomson ships. It would be really unfair if they only applied the (less generous) changes to The Dream. It just doesn't make sense. Anyway, I will ring them tomorrow afternoon to try and find out the latest info.

Re my post above #111

I think it is significant that my local Thomson travel agency have had no reply as yet to my query including all the evidence from posters on this site. There was a very quick response initially saying it was due to the ash cloud.

Someting very odd is going on - Thomson shops are clearly unaware of what is happening.

I also emailed a question direct to Thomson asking for specific details of what the AI package includes (in all innocence, not mentioning any of the changes). No reply yet of course.

My friend has been to our local Thomson shop to enquire about cruises on the Dream. She specifically asked what the AI package included and the cruise expert told her that it was the same as other Thomson ships and the same as rolled out last year on the Celebration, Destiny etc. When informed of the changes she clearly had no idea what my friend was talking about and said that she would make her own enquiries of head office.

Looking further down on this thread it seems that the Dream has been singled out from the other ships. This is hardly fair as the AI package is more expensive on the Dream than the rest of the fleet. I have paid over £300 for a week and certainly will not get value for money as we enjoy the coffees, pots of tea, virgin cocktails as well as tipples at night.

Cruise Deals who we booked with are still saying it is the "normal" package and declined to answer when I asked about a refund of my £300 +.

This booking has been one problem after another. We first booked a cruise for October on the Dream which was later cancelled due to operational reasons. Offered last week in September which didn't suit so finally managed to change us to 1st June. Booked a cabin on Deck 6 which we were recently told had been double booked. They could only offer us a choice of inside cabins on Deck 6 or an outside on Deck 5 which only has a porthole instead of a window which I know is really neither here or there just niggling. There was supposed to be a payment adjustment as the supplement on Deck 5 is slightly lower but there wasn't. Told them I wouldn't pay full balance and was told by letter that if I didn't cruise would be cancelled. Have to wait for a refund! The worst and saddest thing was the loss of life in the accident at Sharm. Just not looking forward to this at all. Have been a loyal client of Thomson for over 35 years but I think this will be the last time I ever book a holiday with them. Their customer service is appalling and they will have definitely shot themselves in the foot over the debacle with the inaugral cruise and the AI shambles.

If, and it is a big if, the changes only apply to the Dream I reckon the reason is some idiot in HQ thought they could get away with it because it was a 'new' ship.

Of course they can get away with it but it would be even more stupid to have the best ship in the fleet with the worst drinks deal.

Or maybe they don't want to fill the ship with lager swilling chavs and people from undesirable parts of the country :D

Thanks for that Jo, it all seems a mess! I too will phone that number at 3 tomorrow- seems if we all keep up the pressure, they may do something about it! Agree that it is illogical and unfair to have these extreme restrictions only on the Dream as no where does it say in brochure or online something like..' different AI on Dream'

If, and it is a big if, the changes only apply to the Dream I reckon the reason is some idiot in HQ thought they could get away with it because it was a 'new' ship.

Of course they can get away with it but it would be even more stupid to have the best ship in the fleet with the worst drinks deal.

Or maybe they don't want to fill the ship with lager swilling chavs and people from undesirable parts of the country :D

Blimey that's me done for then - I have on average two half pints of lager a day !!!!;)

Seriously though it does seem nonsensical to single out the Dream:confused:

Archived