Is St. George worth a trip?

missjanet

Our cruise spends 3 days in port, docked at King's Wharf. Right now we've got the 2nd day completely booked with excursions. The first day we've got an excursion that would finish up at 1pm, leaving us with half a day to get to St. George. Since the last ferry from St. George back to KW leaves around 6pm, that doesn't give us much time to explore the area.

I'm thinking of cancelling the 1st day's excursion to free up the day for a trip to St. George. I figure we could have a nice lunch at one of the restaurants there, see the historic sights, visit some of the beaches, maybe even snorkel at Tobacco Bay if we can rent equipment.

I just feel so pressed for time, even with 3 days in port, because I'd really like to get to SG, but that 3rd day isn't going to work for us which means it's either the afternoon of the 1st day or nothing. I'd appreciate hearing from people who have visited SG as to whether or not it's worth the trip and, if so, what things would you recommend for us to do? Or places to eat?

Thanks so much for your input.

Janet

Janet, I don't think you will be able to rent at Tobacco Bay. We were there last week and the facilities were closed for renovations and it didn't look like they would be open too soon. We just threw a mask in our bags and it worked fine, it is a small beach area, no fins necessary.

There are lots of restaurants right in St. George. We spent the whole day there and also took the 6 pm ferry back, just remember that most stores close at 5pm so we just walked around and people watched for the last bit. St George is one of my favorite areas in Bermuda...very quaint.

I am so jealous, have a great cruise. Hoping for nice weather for you!

St. George's is a quaint and historic town. By all means go there...whether for a full day including a beach trip, or a half day of just walking around town. The White Horse Pub is a popular eating and drinking spot, but there are any number of other places.

Thank you both for the information. I think I really want to visit St. George and that first day is the best time to be able to devote to it.

And thanks for letting me know that you can't get snorkel equipment there. I've still got tomorrow to get to a store for a mask - yes, I think we will skip the fins!

Thanks for the well wishes, too!

Janet

Maam you and your family will have a great time in/at the Town of St. Georges.

So many things to do and see there.

The culinary delights are great giving youall many choices to decide upon.

If youall golf too get an early Tee-Time.

Over that hill to Tobacco Bay is a nice jaunt .Are you going to see the copies of the Crown Jewels too at Fort St. Catherine?

At noon some days:cool: they have the Dunking.

Our cruise spends 3 days in port, docked at King's Wharf. Right now we've got the 2nd day completely booked with excursions. The first day we've got an excursion that would finish up at 1pm, leaving us with half a day to get to St. George. Since the last ferry from St. George back to KW leaves around 6pm, that doesn't give us much time to explore the area.

I'm thinking of cancelling the 1st day's excursion to free up the day for a trip to St. George. I figure we could have a nice lunch at one of the restaurants there, see the historic sights, visit some of the beaches, maybe even snorkel at Tobacco Bay if we can rent equipment.

I just feel so pressed for time, even with 3 days in port, because I'd really like to get to SG, but that 3rd day isn't going to work for us which means it's either the afternoon of the 1st day or nothing. I'd appreciate hearing from people who have visited SG as to whether or not it's worth the trip and, if so, what things would you recommend for us to do? Or places to eat?

Thanks so much for your input.

Janet

Janet, I don't think you will be able to rent at Tobacco Bay. We were there last week and the facilities were closed for renovations and it didn't look like they would be open too soon. We just threw a mask in our bags and it worked fine, it is a small beach area, no fins necessary.

There are lots of restaurants right in St. George. We spent the whole day there and also took the 6 pm ferry back, just remember that most stores close at 5pm so we just walked around and people watched for the last bit. St George is one of my favorite areas in Bermuda...very quaint.

I am so jealous, have a great cruise. Hoping for nice weather for you!

It is too early for facilities to be open at the beach. They don't consider it beach weather in Bermuda until the end of May.

We are on the Explorer on the 13th with Sat and Sun visits. Which day should we spend where? thanks for all of your advice. There have been many questions on our roll call and many mixed ideas as there is confusion as what is open and not in Hamilton as well as St George

Hi...My dh and I have been to Bermuda 4 times and are going again in 5 weeks...:D I love St. George's and wouldn't miss a trip there. There are a few lunch places and a few little shops that I never miss. Last year I got my granddaughters these cute little handmade purses in one of the little shops there. It's off on a side street, but great to walk around town. The ferry ride there is beautiful and part of the reason we go to St. George's. We usually have a drink in the White Horse Inn.:D I'll try to think of some ore ideas.....

The facilities at Tobacco Bay were open mid-May last year.

What is the excursion on the first day? It might be easier to advise you if it's a lame excursion... :)

I wouldn't miss St. George. It's wonderful. Look for free walking tour information on-line. There are lovely museums, buildings from the 1600's, cobblestone streets, Somer's Garden, a nifty old graveyard...it you like history and quiet charm, this is your town.

Thanks, everyone, for your great ideas! Now I feel that I made the right decision to cancel the excursion. It actually was a good one - the helmet dive - but I developed an ear infection and some broken blood vessels in one eye & I'm reluctant to do anything underwater like that. I think it would be better to have a relaxing day visiting St. George, having lunch in one of their restaurants, then heading via bus over towards Hamilton. Maybe a stop at Swizzle Inn - I sure would love to try a Rum Swizzle or a Dark N Stormy!

Love hearing everyone's suggestions - it's really a big help as there is so much information out there that I am overwhelmed by it.

thanks again!

Janet

One of my favorite things to do is walk all the little winding back alleys and lanes to see the cottages and the interesting names. Aunt Peggy's Lane, Old Maid's Alley, Silk Alley, Turkey Hill, Featherbed Alley are some of them.

8851f863.jpg20822223.jpgff6af546.jpg

We'll be there early June for 1,5 day (Explorer of the Seas, 5 nights) and I'm having the same question for weeks...We can't decide betweem Hamilton and St. George :(

Everybody say that St. George it's really beautifull, but when I google it or see the photos or videos...it looks like the houses that we have here in small villages...We love to see new things, but we are afraid that we spend almost one hour on the ferry to St. George (and another hour to return), and there's nothing to see in St. George:o...On the other hand, we read that Hamilton it's a place only for shopping, nothing more to see...:confused:

We'll be there early June for 1,5 day (Explorer of the Seas, 5 nights) and I'm having the same question for weeks...We can't decide betweem Hamilton and St. George :(

Everybody say that St. George it's really beautifull, but when I google it or see the photos or videos...it looks like the houses that we have here in small villages...We love to see new things, but we are afraid that we spend almost one hour on the ferry to St. George (and another hour to return), and there's nothing to see in St. George:o...On the other hand, we read that Hamilton it's a place only for shopping, nothing more to see...:confused:

Everyone so far has said how much they like St. George but I have also seen people post that they thought it was a waste. Who's right?;) The same thing can be said for Hamilton.

Hamilton used to have better shopping until the big stores closed. There are still some nice stores and it depends on what you're looking for. Even though we miss Trimminghams, shopping is not our main objective in Bermuda. Par-La-Ville park is beautiful to walk through. All the government buildings are there plus the BUEI and Fort Hamilton which we enjoyed.

What it comes down to in the end is, there's really no way of advising someone else what to do or where to go since everyone has different ideas about things. People who say, "oh, you will LOVE........." really have no idea if someone else is going to love it just because they do.

We are on the Explorer on the 13th with Sat and Sun visits. Which day should we spend where? thanks for all of your advice. There have been many questions on our roll call and many mixed ideas as there is confusion as what is open and not in Hamilton as well as St George

I was in Bermuda 2 weekends ago (on the 4/15 sailing on the Explorer.) Public transportation is very limited on weekends and you may want to consider taxis. The ferry to St. George didn't run because it was a weekend. Stores in Hamilton were closed on Sunday. If you want to shop, make Saturday your shopping day. Dockyard was open both Sat & Sun.

Hubby and I are heading to Bermuda in September. Our last 2 cruises we docked in St. George. This time we are docking in Kings Wharf. St. George is absolutely my favorite town there. It is so quaint. We are planning on spending our first day there and also Tobacco Beach.

Everyone so far has said how much they like St. George but I have also seen people post that they thought it was a waste. Who's right?;) The same thing can be said for Hamilton.

Hamilton used to have better shopping until the big stores closed. There are still some nice stores and it depends on what you're looking for. Even though we miss Trimminghams, shopping is not our main objective in Bermuda. Par-La-Ville park is beautiful to walk through. All the government buildings are there plus the BUEI and Fort Hamilton which we enjoyed.

What it comes down to in the end is, there's really no way of advising someone else what to do or where to go since everyone has different ideas about things. People who say, "oh, you will LOVE........." really have no idea if someone else is going to love it just because they do.

Thank you for your opinion :)

Yes...That's right...what is lovely for one, can be boring for others...We are not in one shopping mood too...In fact, we just want to buy our "bermuda-t-shirt" and the magnet for the fridge!lol:D We pretend to do beach, because we are spending 5 days in NYC before the cruise so we'll need to rest ;)...Maybe we'll give a try to St. George:rolleyes:

Archived