Galveston hotel recommendations precruise

lkforktx

I appreciate anyones input. we are leaving out of galveston on may 29th. We are planning on coming down on the 28th and staying and having a good time somewhere in galveston. doesn't need to be perfect but not looking for a dump either. it would be cool if they had free cruise parking and a shuttle to the pier. Anyways yall know what i'm talking about. Again i appreciate your time and advice.

Bobby

We stayed in the Tremont in the historic area and loved it. It was an old office building but meticulously transformed into a turn-of-the-century hotel. Lots of cut little shops and restaurants but far from the beach. It's just a few blocks from the cruise terminal. We did not have free parking and just parked at the Port parking lot. There were frequent shuttles and I didn't find it too expensive. The lots are all open but you can pay a little extra for a covered area. You first drop everyone and the luggage off at the pier and then go to the lot.

We stayed at the quality inn and suites, great rates for when I was there last. You can walk across to the ocean and walk on the boardwalk at night, and swim if its not too cold. The hotel has a pool that is indoors and heated if it rains.

Free parking but no shuttle.

The Harbor House is a great place to stay. You can see the ships come in and you are in a great part of town. The Best Western is good and the Commodore is nice. I've also stayed at a friends beach front home in the westend. That was the best but you have to have a friend with a beach house.:D All the recommendations that have been listed are good. Check out Galveston.Com for more information.

Dave

We stayed at Holiday Inn on Seawall Blve. (the one next to the San Luis). They have free parking for cruisers and a shuttle to and from the pier. They book up quicky so check it out. That is also Memorial Day weekend so it may be harder to find a good inexpensive hotel. Good luck.

You are lucky

the motels/hotels should only be busy from tourist season.

No big event is occurring

unless that is official Memorial Day weekend.

Art Walk is Saturday night though at various locations.

Post Office St and Strand St mainly.

Post Office St usually more locals and Strand mainly tourists

(only because tourists are not aware of Post Office St.).

Stroll the streets

and sample wine, cheeses and snacks in the different venues..

Three main areas to stay

On the Gulf. (Many)

On the Bay at Moody Gardens.

Downtown Historic District. (Port)

All three great!!!!!!!!

see fun map

galveston.com ....interact and discover.... map

icon.gifGalveston Fun Map

A 35 x 11 inch, full-color, reliable caricature map that shows you everything fun to see and do, and the shortest route to get there!

Galveston Fun Map

Holiday Inn Select on Seawall , Nice place ,They will let you

park in their fenced lot for free , Drive you to the ship

and pick you up!!

There are three listed. Which one did you stay at? Thanks!

I just booked the Tremont for next March. I thought we would rent a car and drive to Galveston. Drop off the rental car on saturday since the car rentals are not open on Sundays. Sunday morning walk to the ship. I heard the pier is within walking distance.

Has anyone done this?

• 2 weeks later...

Just returned from sailing the Conquest 5/9-5/16. WE HIGHLY RECOMMEND the HOLIDAY INN SUNSPREE!!!

We stayed there pre-cruise. It is on the seawall and you can cross the street to access the beach. All the rooms are facing the gulf, and they are very clean with a pool, swim up bar, and restaraunt (resaonably priced). Great Seafood restaraunt next door and a short walk to the Hotel Galvez and Murdoch's Pier!!

Cost was $125 for a double, free shuttle to pier, free parking in their secured lot for the week. You will need to grab a cab back to the hotel but it was only $11.40 total.

Our door knob thingy (card reader) went out and they had to replace it. In doing so they took $30 off our hotel rate for our inconvenience. We went to dinner while they repaired it so it really did'nt interfere with our evening but hey, $30 is $30!!!

one last note - DH left a 3 gallon empty gas can on the back of the truck thinking it would be gone when we returned, but it was still there, right where we left it..

GREAT PLACE TO STAY!!

Archived