Benefit to using TA for simple cruise?

BrettG

If you are just booking a simple 7-night with RCL without airfare, is going with a TA (online or brick) going to save you enough money to make it worth it? I know I've heard that if you are doing anything complicated, such as back to backs, or airline combos, or large parties, TAs can make it a lot easier. But for the average Joe who reads a bit on CruiseCritic, is there a huge benefit?

Also, someone said people cannot make referrals for TAs on here. Is there anywhere on CC that you can request a referral, or would you have to go somewhere else for reviews/suggestions? Thanks.

If you are just booking a simple 7-night with RCL without airfare, is going with a TA (online or brick) going to save you enough money to make it worth it? I know I've heard that if you are doing anything complicated, such as back to backs, or airline combos, or large parties, TAs can make it a lot easier. But for the average Joe who reads a bit on CruiseCritic, is there a huge benefit?

Also, someone said people cannot make referrals for TAs on here. Is there anywhere on CC that you can request a referral, or would you have to go somewhere else for reviews/suggestions? Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic BrettG.

A travel agent is particularly helpful if you have never cruise before and you need someone to explain the various cruise line, which one is suitable for you and so on.

In general travel agents will get you a better price than if you book directly with the cruise line. I have found a particular online cruise service that discounts well and have not used a land based agent in years.

Furthermore, a decent TA will potentially get on board credit and other incentives like a bottle of wine or a comp. plush bath robe.

Jonathan

Thanks for the quick reply. I work on Eglin AFB in Fl and I went to the ITT (tickets and travel agent) there to get an idea of price. She quotes me prices which were identical (down to the penny) of what I could find on the website of the liners. It also seems they charged a small fee pp to book it through them. Some people have told me that TAs dont charge the client but are paid by the liners themselves.

I haven't used a TA before. Was the TA on Eglin more of a trip advisor or is it possible there just weren't any deals to be had?

Thanks for the quick reply. I work on Eglin AFB in Fl and I went to the ITT (tickets and travel agent) there to get an idea of price. She quotes me prices which were identical (down to the penny) of what I could find on the website of the liners. It also seems they charged a small fee pp to book it through them. Some people have told me that TAs dont charge the client but are paid by the liners themselves.

I haven't used a TA before. Was the TA on Eglin more of a trip advisor or is it possible there just weren't any deals to be had?

TA's do make a small commission these days but not like it was in yesteryear. Some (not all) TA's now have fee's that can make you think you're doing business with an airline :eek:. Small booking fee, change booking fees, cancellation fees, etc,etc.

Be advised though, that once you book thru a TA, that's it. By contractual agreement, the TA now has full control of your booking. The cruiseline will NOT speak with you regarding any business dealings that you may have. ALL communications, wishes, desires, requests, MUST be made by the TA to the cruiseline on your behalf. If you see a price drop online and it's a Saturday and your TA is off for the weekend,,,, too bad so sad,, must wait until TA is back at work.

If your 'TA' on post was quoting you the same price as the website, he/she was not doing their job. Obviously you must be military, and many lines will have a military discount (Carnival, RCCL, Celebrity...NCL) that will apply on some sailings. There also might be a state residency rate. If you knbowwhat you want, and it doesn't involve anything complicated like multiple cabins and lonked bookings, airfre...Then I would call the cruise line directly. EM

Oops...just reread your second post and see that you work on the base, not necessarily military...EM

Brett,

There is another side to using a travel agent. The real good TAs are travel professionals who can solve travel related problems. And these problems do occur (Iceland volcanoes, oil spills, missed plane connections, and others).

My DW and I could easily book all of our travel including cruises but we use a travel agent for cruises because I want someone to provide backup if needed. On a recent cruise, the ship was delayed arriving back in San Diego by one day. Passengers with TAs seemed to have had a much easier time making alternate plane arrangements than those who were on their own.

Further, the cruise lines set the prices. TAs can offer some nice enhancements such a bottle of wine.

I do my research by looking at the travel related websites as to prices, itineraries, and so on, then go see my TA and together we work on cabin selection and any alternatives.

And I think that because the responders/posters here have been on hundreds of cruises that they forget to mention how experienced they are in terms of booking cruises.

Someone mentioned that once you book through a TA, you must go through them for everything. Does that include excursions and any other ship-bookings such as dinner reservations and spa packages? Or once booked will I still have access online to do all of that stuff like anyone else would?

I just went to a private TA yesterday to see if they could gerte any deals that the military TA couldn't. The booking I am looking at is currently a Hot Deal, if that matters. But she wasn't able to get me anything better than the website was advertising. She was getting deals by group booking (reserving), but it didn't seem to help much. Not only that, but this individual agent had never cruised before and was giving me some weird advice; such as that aft cabins and hump cabins on Freedom class RCCL ships were bad and had obstructions. So maybe I'll try to find another TA around here. Its too bad I live in a small-med size town that I recently moved too. Hard to get advice when you don't know many people. =p

Someone mentioned that once you book through a TA, you must go through them for everything. Does that include excursions and any other ship-bookings such as dinner reservations and spa packages? Or once booked will I still have access online to do all of that stuff like anyone else would?

Your TA will handle the cruise and/or flights but you can book your dinner reservations, spa and excursions thru the cruiseline. The excursions can even be thru an indepedent company.

Went to another TA yesterday (3 now). None of them have been able to get me any rate other than what RCCL lists online. Maybes it's because it's a Hot Deal online, but none of them have been able to get group rates or any benefits. I guess for this cruise I'll go through RCCL directly so I don't have to rely on an agent if the price drops.

just be sure to do your research before you go see a TA...I didn't and she was awful, so I had to go back and redo a lot of things and push her into fixing the things that we did not like...such as hotels by the airport in Seattle instead of downtown. She assumed we would just rent a car when that was not in OUR plans...so long story short, know what YOU want before you go them the TA and that way they can help you get it at the best price...maybe...watch the airfare costs you may be able to find cheaper flights online then they can.

Now this was all from my experience as a 1st time cruiser and I have learned a ton just from fixing my TAs mistakes.

But a good TA could have avoided the whole issue :)

Yeah, I pretty much have our cruise, travel and hotel locations planned out.

I've heard a lot of people using online TAs recently. I've checked a few some some do online quotes (that were the same as RCCL site), some require an online form, some have a phone number. Is there any way I can ask for recommendations on this forum, or is that not allowed? If not, is there anything I should look for in an online TA? I did find one that offered free gratuities, I'm just hesitant to use an online service when so much money is involved.

Thanks. But that last part has me a bit confused. I thought if I booked through a TA or online TA I would be paying the TA, who would then pay RCCL? Or is it that the TA merely gives me a number to enter to RCCL that they recognize as coming from that TA?

Thanks. But that last part has me a bit confused. I thought if I booked through a TA or online TA I would be paying the TA, who would then pay RCCL? Or is it that the TA merely gives me a number to enter to RCCL that they recognize as coming from that TA?

What has happened in the past is that a TA can bill your credit card to themselves. They hold onto your money, make a small deposit to the cruiseline, get a "booking" number, then run off with the rest of your money.

In this scenerio, you miss a cruise because the cruiseline never got paid.

What responsible TA's do is have the cruiseline actually charge your credit card. That way, the cruiseline is actually getting your money. The TA is just a go between. If the TA goes out of business for whatever reason, the cruiseline has been paid and off you go on your cruise.

I see. So when I was told to make sure I was paying the cruise line directly, I would have checked my CC or debit statements to make sure it said RCCL. Or just wrote a check directly to the cruise line for the TA to send off. Thanks for the info.

Brett,

I wish you well but please remember the posters here have been on hundreds of cruises and can book on line because they know what they are doing.

At this point if I were you, I would book directly with RCCL via telephone, fax or e mail. Make sure you get the name of the RCCl sales representative and confirmation of any monies paid. And make absolutely sure that you get a booking number (and make copies of this).

When you speak with RCCl, have the ship's layout in front of you so you can see where the available cabins are located. If you or any traveling companinon...wife, friend etc are light sleepers you do not want to be over or under a highly traveled part of the ship.

There are so many good travel agents out there and I feel badly that you have not been able to find one. Yours should have explained the payment process and answered your other questions as well. When you book with a t.a. you can always ask her to check the prices to see if they have been reduced. Sure it lowers her commission, but a good t.a. will provide that service to you.

Often they cannot get a better price for you than going through the cruise line directly, but the service and back-up they offer you can be worth their weight in gold (ok, now I'm exaggerating).

Archived