Ketchikan and Skagway

RobC1116

We are traveling on the Sea Princess, June 1-11, and thinking about options in each of the ports. We'd like to do a Misty Fjords trip from Ketchikan and are trying to decide whether it's worth it to do a floatplane/boat combination (expensive), the floatplane alone, or the boat alone (each of which is less expensive). Does anyone have an opinion about these or other Ketchikan excursions? Also, we are looking to do something more active in Skagway. I contacted a company called Packers Expeditions about an excursion on the White Mountain Railway followed by an 8-10 mile roundtrip hike to Laughton Glacier. Unfortunately, this is not offered the day we're there. We've done a bus/railway combination to Carcross, and don't want to do that type of outing again. There is a "coastal hike" offered by Princess, but I'm not sure how nice that is. I know that one can hike to the Dewey Lakes on one's own, but probably it's too early in the season to go higher than Lower Dewey Lake. I don't know if that, alone, is worthwhile. Any opinions/thoughts would be most appreciated!

We are traveling on the Sea Princess, June 1-11, and thinking about options in each of the ports. We'd like to do a Misty Fjords trip from Ketchikan and are trying to decide whether it's worth it to do a floatplane/boat combination (expensive), the floatplane alone, or the boat alone (each of which is less expensive). Does anyone have an opinion about these or other Ketchikan excursions? Also, we are looking to do something more active in Skagway. I contacted a company called Packers Expeditions about an excursion on the White Mountain Railway followed by an 8-10 mile roundtrip hike to Laughton Glacier. Unfortunately, this is not offered the day we're there. We've done a bus/railway combination to Carcross, and don't want to do that type of outing again. There is a "coastal hike" offered by Princess, but I'm not sure how nice that is. I know that one can hike to the Dewey Lakes on one's own, but probably it's too early in the season to go higher than Lower Dewey Lake. I don't know if that, alone, is worthwhile. Any opinions/thoughts would be most appreciated!

Yes, I would agree that the Dewey Lakes is out, due to snow. Have you been to Haines?? You could also spend the entire day, walking/hiking the Dyea Road area, which would be accessable.

Thanks so much for your responses so far! I really like the sound of the Triple Adventure from the last link above, so probably will try to book that.

Hey, if you do, would appreciate your posting a report. Since we won't be there until the end of July, we might decide to do that one instead of just riding bikes.

Archived