TA vs Carnival for large group?

Janespup

I am thinking of booking a group trip for 21 people on Fscination for April 2011. I would like to get a deal on room prices but also have several exact rooms that I would like to get. Would I be better off dealing with carnival or a TA? I have always booked directly through the cruise line and always buy travel insurance. Thanks in advance for any input.

I dont think there is any one answer to this. The problem lately with groups is that Early Saver booking on your own can be a better deal.(yes I know you can book early saver, but then pay for amenity points) On newer ships I prefer 1As that are often better than insides. 1As cant be included in group rates with Carnival... on and on.

A TA will handle everyone, with Carnival you will be the one handling things. A bad group TA wouldnt process price drops and Iv seen a lot complaining about group pricing down the line if pricing falls.

A group isnt always the way to go, period imo. .. unless the rest of the group is fine with letting someone else decide stuff. For instance our group leader spent our amenity points on a free cocktail party, I would have preferred OBC. There can be resentment if you get money off your berth if you dont share the money around. Things to think about.

You can book separate and link all the bookings together. Im not big on groups though.

I am thinking of booking a group trip for 21 people on Fscination for April 2011. I would like to get a deal on room prices but also have several exact rooms that I would like to get. Would I be better off dealing with carnival or a TA? I have always booked directly through the cruise line and always buy travel insurance. Thanks in advance for any input.

I would use a TA for group travel. For Carnival you need a min of 8 cabins to be considered a group. Insurance does not make a difference either way.

I would use a TA BUT... I would make sure it is someone that has LOTS of experience in handling groups...they are a more difficult process.....

I'm cruising with two groups next year, and both of them are using TA's to handle everything.

Definitely make sure that if you do go with a TA, that the person is well versed in booking group travel, and that the TA will do dillegence in regards to price drops, insurance, excursions, ammedities.

Best of luck!

I've had some experience with the Carnival groups department - both booking a group a friend had set up and trying to set up a group on my own for a family sailing. None of my dealings with them really gave me the warm fuzzies. Hard to get in contact with, no follow ups, and the perks really aren't all that great. People assume there's a free berth at 8 cabins, but it's really much more complicated. You get a credit after the fact for the the cabin category of the majority of bookings less the taxes, port fees, and non-commissionable part of the fare. The sailing I was looking at we booked a balcony but most of our group were booking insides - by the time all the fees were deducted I think i would have had something like a $110 credit at the end - nowhere near a free berth. And the price was worse than early saver - even with an OBC thrown in. Add to that the 30 day window they give you to get everyone booked (rate only guaranteed for 30 days) and it was really a hassle.

After several complaints from the group about trying to book with the groups department and calls not being returned, I finally withdrew the group booking and just sent anyone who wanted to book to my PVP.

It's also a LOT of work if you do it yourself through Carnival - keeping your group organized, answering questions, working out what the ammenities will be, etc. You also need to make sure everyone is ready to book and place a deposit. I had something like 15 rooms worth of people who told me they wanted to go, by the end of the 30 days after I set up the group I had 3 rooms booked so expect people to bail on you as well once they actually have to put up the cash.

If I really felt like a group booking was worth it (maybe for a really large group) I'd go through a really experienced TA used to dealing with groups next time. Anything smaller I'd just have everyone book on their own and the heck with the group.

I use to be a TA and did several groups with Carnival. If you do it yourself, be patient, you can be on hold for awhile sometimes and if your at work, they may not be to understanding of that.

Thanks for so many replies. I guess I wasn't clear, though. The "group" is my family (children and grand-children) and I was planning on putting down all down payments for them when I booked, all at the same time. Not your typical group. The main thing I am interested in is getting a good price and the rooms I want. (It will be 9 rooms)

No matter if you pay or not for the cabins, what two of us are telling you is that it depends on the cabins you want to book, they are not always a better deal with being a group. You might be better off booking early saver individually ... but then maybe with a family group people would change their minds. So, you would prefer the group price because the deposits would still be refundable. You can still do ES with a group, but booking so many others, Id be leery of people changing their minds. Remember also ES no name changes.

TA for a group to keep them together is still my vote. Let them do the work and send stuff to everyone. A GOOD TA.

I have to agree with using a TA. I have a group of a 'few' friends that started out with only 30 and has grown to 80 people. You need to check with several TA's before handing over the booking. A Good TA with group cruise experience is a valuable asset. Discuss your options for comp. We were able to share the free berths with those in the group thereby lowering everyone's fare UPFRONT. We are not waiting for the end of the cruise. She has handled the questions, money, issues and documents.She even helped with the private excursions. Invaluable!!! Happy sailing!!

Thanks for so many replies. I guess I wasn't clear, though. The "group" is my family (children and grand-children) and I was planning on putting down all down payments for them when I booked, all at the same time. Not your typical group. The main thing I am interested in is getting a good price and the rooms I want. (It will be 9 rooms)

I have a group going. I booked 24 rooms and opened it up to family and friends. I called Carnival and got a good rate plus I get to choose the perks, I choose to divide the kick back (we get $900.00 for every 8 cabins, balcony) so that way it will cost less for everyone. I still have rooms, Carnival will call me when the need the rest otherwise I have them till 1/11 when the deposit is due.

I have a group going. I booked 24 rooms and opened it up to family and friends. I called Carnival and got a good rate plus I get to choose the perks, I choose to divide the kick back (we get $900.00 for every 8 cabins, balcony) so that way it will cost less for everyone. I still have rooms, Carnival will call me when the need the rest otherwise I have them till 1/11 when the deposit is due.

If you use a TA you can choose your own perks also........

You say you are doing it yourself.....so are you the one that has to make sure everyone has the correct documents such as passport or birth certificates and proper id and collect all the deposits and final payments and such? That is when the pain starts......

Good luck!

So you are paying for everyone?

Archived